Portland, OR | Page 3 | Squat the Planet

Portland, OR

Hylyx

Reaction score
Dunno, I'm not from here and just got here last week. I tried to go there the other day and it was empty and sad.

I also like Powell's downtown cuz they'll let you read there till they close at 11PM every night, your pack stays safe up front and I've met a few cool people in the little cafe.

benjysirois

Professional knob twiddler and sound anarchist
Reaction score
So I've been staying in Portland the last week and it's sorta driving me crazy. I'm 20 and from Canada so not being able to simply get a beer is so frustrating. Anyone have any suggestions for me to bide my time for the next while? What does one do in this city as a fucking "minor" ahaha?

Divey bars that don't ID?
Anything?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
well, if package beer is your thing, can't you get one of your friends to buy for you?

benjysirois

Professional knob twiddler and sound anarchist
Reaction score
Travelling on my own at the moment unfortunately. I'm more looking to party with some rad folk round here if anything. Getting booze is not the challenge.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Travelling on my own at the moment unfortunately. I'm more looking to party with some rad folk round here if anything. Getting booze is not the challenge.

how long are you going to be in portland? im headed south sometime around mid september.

Acorn

Wayfaring Wanderer
Reaction score
Has anyone been to Portland in the last two years or so? Are there any new laws or rules I should know about before heading there? Sit/Lie ordinances, any laws concerning dogs, busking, ect? Has anyone had any bad run ins with the cops? What's the transit system like now? ...Fareless square still fareless? How 'bout Pioneer square....still a chill kick it spot? What about sleeping spots? Blown up Hop outs? Help a sista out! :) Any stories or info is much appreciated

beastcoast

Reaction score
Fareless square is now just fare square, the last time i was at pioneer place a rentacop told me i couldn't smoke a cig on the sidewalk by the square, most of the spots arent too blown up now but thats sure to change as the weather warms up.
Other than that its just the same old town it ever was

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i might be moving to portland soonish... kinda curious what the place is like nowadays as well. if i go there i'll be going to school for a while.

Charlie

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
When I was there last year, it was a little different than 3 years ago. Police can ticket you for putting stuff down on the sidewalk, they're hot on this too. Homebums are more stressed and it shows a bit. I think busking is about the same as well as flying signs, it's allowed, and it's easier if you fly a sign asking for beer or weed money. When I was there last year, I didn't like it, so I skated to highway 30, took a nap, then hitched out. I wasn't in Portland for more than a day, and I'll probably somewhat avoid it in the future to avoid getting treated like filth.

MEOW

Reaction score
The last few days I spent in Portland have been awesome.
Many people still don't pay for the MAX.
Nobody gave us any shit when we were busking except at pioneer square, which they just told us that we could play if it's not for money.
Plenty of free food If you go to places at the right time.

hitchingpdx

Reaction score
Make sure to locate the street roots booklet from the rescue mission or DHS.. all of the feeds are listed, pretty much free food from 630 am to 8 at night.. Cops are as tolerant as ever it would seem, people sleeping all along the waterfront and in front of shops in oldtown/chinatown.. I like it here, but am going to travel east to slc as the services for housing there are settting standards from what I read online in news articles. Kind of tired of being on the streets, but If SLC doesn't work out, portland will be where I set up shop for sure!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads