Pennsylvania

M

Mouse

So I'm thinking I wanna make a post about PA.

considering everytime the word Pennsylvania comes up, all of us from PA shudder at the thought. The general concensous is that PA sucks balls.. the whole state... all of it... well, as much as I do agree, having grown up in PA and having done everything I could to escape it... it simply can't be true. an entire state as large as PA can't possibly suck as a whole, can it?

ok.. so this is a thread to talk about places in PA that ARE actually interesting or cool or worth seeing.

no hating in this thread. Only nice stuff, damn it.

And try to exclude the najor cities like Philly and Pitt. Those are obvious places of social and cultural saturation. The rest of PA is what I'm worried about.

the reason I want to do this is because when I hit the road again I have this idea that I need to explore my own backyard a lil more. I want desperitly to find a reason to like PA.

Last edited by a moderator:

wasted

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
well, where i live is beautiful, that's about it. after coming back from new england i really loved my area until i hung out with people. if you're into the wilderness, i can go into my backyard and walk for days until i reach another town.

and hunter s thompson lived in my town for a bit.

"He headed north; he'd read in Editor & Publisher about a small-town newspaper that wanted a sports editor. He wrote them a letter, and they said to come up. This was a place called Jersey Shore, Pennsylvania. Now, it turns out that Jersey Shore was just a bleak, hideous place with coal dist in the air. Dreadful, and no women in town that were worth looking at. Hunter got a room over a bar and started working for the paper, describing horse pulls and wrestling matches with 'Popo the Killer Jap' and all kinds of things with this peculiar Dadaist approach. Everybody knows how it's phony as baloney, but he played it straight. Well, not exactly straight; he was writing things like 'People were carried out of the ring with broken backs,' 'His neck was broken in three places' — stuff like that. Apparently nobody really cared whether it was true or not."

he ended up taking this girl out on a date in her fathers car, and got it stuck in the mud. he woke up some farmer to help pull it out of the mud, and he ended up ripping the entire door and bumper off somehow, and driving it back to the dudes house and just left it there. in the morning the guy drove to work, where hunter worked, and everyone heard the car coming from a mile away because the bumper and all kinds of shit was making a loud grinding noise on the street, and he just went out the back door and drove to NYC

scum

Reaction score
hershey...i used to live 10 mins from there....the park is great, but there is NO WHERE to sleep unless you wanna get arrested. and that whole area is boring as FUCK....harrisburg DOES have a lot of abandoned buildings though....crackhouses, shooting galleries and shit....lancaster pa has the most SLAMMIN' hero-uh....nevermind....

Philly is nice, I love philly.

stay away from the rural in pa....stick to urban...and the woods....near maryland ways....

ianfernite

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I've been racking my brain, and I honestly can't think of anything good about the middle part of this state.

I'm pretty sure there are some mountains somewhere, and those are pretty cool.

If you're a hipster, an "artist", or some other brand of young white yuppie, you'd probably like Lancaster.

There are some cool things around Harrisburg; or, there were, but everything cool is diminishing, and everyone cool is leaving.

Yeah ... this is as positive as I can get about central Pennsylvania. My favorite part is leaving it.

M

Mouse

heeeey now. I like lancaster, and I'm far from a youn white yuppie (young and white maybe... but not yuppie)

but I am an artist.

*smacks forhead* fucking Im' a walking cliche

ianfernite

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Haha.
I think Lancaster would be a lot nicer in my eyes if I didn't know fucking everyone here.
Also, metalcore bands. It would be a lot nicer without all the shitty fucking metalcore bands.

Gypsybones

Reaction score
Website
highonwheels.tumblr.com
I'm also from Pennsyltucky originally and I hate any city in the middle of this great state.
but I do like the small towns and vast amounts of forests that cover forever and a day there.
Intercourse is just a fun place to say you've been, yes folks thats a name of a real town in PA its also nearby towns of Bird-in-Hand, Blue Ball, and Paradise. (no I'm not making this up. Intercourse, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

its cool to see steamtown also, Strasbourg, PA and all the old coal mining towns as well.

PA is home to the most freight tracks and routs historically and still in use in the country. you can visit almost anywhere in the state.
PA is the cradle and builder of the nation, PA is nicknamed to as the keystone state for that reason.
Oil city is the first place oil was ever drilled in the 1850s, Oil City became central in the petroleum industry while hosting headquarters for the Pennzoil, Quaker State, and Wolf's Head motor oil companies.
Pottsville is home to Yuengling the oldest and arguably the tastiest brewery in the US.

and thats just oh wait!!! I almost forgot you cats are gonna love this one.
St. Marys, PA is home to Strab beer and has at its brewery a thing know as the eternal
tap.

ok so thats just a few cities in the mid and outskirts of the state, I'll keep for going on about all the little fun facts an what have you. but if you wanna know I can let you know a lot about the most innovative city ever. the home of six Lombardi's

M

Mouse

ooooh our fair Eagle on a Barrel. Dear sweet Yuengling.

When I was in S.F. I found a way to create a Yuengling because I was craving one so bad --- 1/2 a steele and fill the rest with St. Paully girl. Becomes strikingly akin to the taste of a Yuengling.

or maybe I was drunk?

And I've been to intercourse yep yep. boring as shit but funny name. Road Apples.

Gettysburgh is good times. go ghost searching.

I'm originally from Delta, PA which was the last stop on the Ma & Pa RR, green marble and slate town. They just recently tore out the old turn-tables to put in a new town water supply. :( made me sad.

drunken marauder

Reaction score
The police in Monroeville bought me and my friends Denny's and got us on the bus in under 2 hours.... HAHAHHAAAAHHAHAHAAAA

jukeboxromeo

Reaction score
i come from the northeast part, where there is nothing but coal. and i really resent how in this state, nothing is measured by miles...it's by hours.

centralia is a really neat place. i'm surprised no one has mentioned it before. it's the place with the underground burning mine fire. google it.

i've always wanted to visit monroeville mall, but i've never gotten the chance. i'm a zombie enthusiast.

Weird Pennsylvania: Your Travel ... - Google Books (i love this series!)

pillowtron

Reaction score
I still find pa quite boing. Ian is right, everything here that used to be cool or worthwhile no longer exists...and a large majority of the people who were fun/interesting are leaving/already left. Lets get out of here again, Ian!

smellyskelly

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
centralia is a really neat place. i'm surprised no one has mentioned it before. it's the place with the underground burning mine fire. google it.

I LOVE that place. but im afraid to walk there after the sun has set in some places because of the huge cracks and creeps that lurk it.

däv

Reaction score
I'm from Lancaster originally... I'm back there right now... It's gotten better since I left 4 years ago but it still gets to me... I can't stand the place... I was just in pittsburgh for a couple of weeks a couple of weeks ago... I thought that town has gotten a lot better over the years... The rest of PA has the problem of too many towns in too little space and too many ways to get there (PA has more roads than any other state in the US... this may have something to do with why PenDOT takes so long to blink)

I don't know... I'm thinking of heading down to NOLA soon.

but, hey, anyone in or around Lancaster, hit me up at cybersomatix@gmail.com I've been in town for 2 weeks and have only been able to get a hold of 5 people I know in town who haven't left yet.

Also...

Holy shit! Steele and St.Paulli? I'd have never thought to do that... I'll have to try it the next time I''m out of the NEC (next week, maybe).

pestilentcunt

Reaction score
well im from lancaster,but like everyone whos from there hates it.i like philly alot but thats stereotypical if u come from lanc.ive recently moved to erie,pa is pretty cool here just dont stay too long and become one of them u get sad real quick,also winters suck balls here.

hshh

Reaction score
I'm also from Pennsyltucky originally and I hate any city in the middle of this great state.
but I do like the small towns and vast amounts of forests that cover forever and a day there.
Intercourse is just a fun place to say you've been, yes folks thats a name of a real town in PA its also nearby towns of Bird-in-Hand, Blue Ball, and Paradise. (no I'm not making this up. Intercourse, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
you forgot virginville which is pretty close to intercourse! Have you seen the Tshirts and cheap shit at gift shops?

And yea Centralia is pretty cool but theres not too much to see. theres a few steam vents coming from under a few rocks from the underground fire, and a few still standing and occupied houses but its mostly just vacant overgrown roads. I had a slightly different image in my head of what it would look like and was kind of dissapionted.

theres also alot of abandoned hospitals

and the mountains are pretty cool. try going to northern PA around the grandcanyon of pennsylvania. theres a couple oldgrowth forests and alot of good hiking and camping

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads