overly politically correct people

jade

Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
Me, my boyfriend and our friend were in Minneapolis for the RNC, we were squatting at a house known as the Ghost House with about 5 other kids. My boyfriend and I had met the kids there, but our friend knew their friends. This was a very PC house, it was to the point that being politically correct was done to avoid being snapped at for not asking what gender pronoun someone prefers. People there were very dogmatic about it. When my friend referred to a girl we met that day on the street as a chick he was snapped on and called a patriarch. When he apologized and explained that he didn't mean in a patronizing way, just as a synonym for girl, they made a rule for him to work on it. It was also a sober space, where we had regular group meetings. These people did not know how to squat either, they had bright candles burning at night that you could see from outside, they would pile up their bikes outside the squat entrance, and they had fridges, and other appliances plugged in. After about 3 days of squatting there the kids tell us that we can't stay there any longer because they didn't know us for long enough before hand, and it goes against their security culture rules because don't have good enough credibility. We knew this was a bullshit lie, suspecting the real reason behind them wanting us out was differences in our viewpoints, but they just didn't have the guts to be honest about it. So we left the next morning, spanged for the day and then started squating in the house next door, which we named the unsober squat. Eventually they got pissy about us being there, and talked to my boyfriend about it, it which they told us that the real reason we got kicked out was because our friend was politically correct enough and if we wanted to come back we would have to distance ourselves from him, in which we said uh no thanx you guys are pretentious fucks. I encounter this attitude a lot in the activist scene.

Reactions: bote

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
yeah it's funny how the "activist" scene gets so dogmatic about that kinda stuff that it really does become a religion to them without them even noticing it. it's basically what i consider to be the "lunatic leftist fringe" that are just so pc and high and fucking mighty that they end of alienating people that aren't privilidged enough to have that same opinion because no matter how much they "acknoledge" their privilage, they're still white middle class kids that don't have to work for a living.

that's really the whole reason nothing ever gets done in the activst scene here in the states, because these people are too busy building their own little clubs/clicks of people that think EXACTLY like them, instead of diversifying themselves and trying to understand and help the people that need it and working with people that have different viewpoints other than their own and respecting that.

so yeah, while ill be the first to say 'fuck apathy/scumfucks' (the right side of the scale), ill also say 'fuck pretentious activist fucks' (the far left side of the scale). who's left over, you ask? the rest of us, the people in the middle, who i like to think of as reasonable, tolerant people that just want to get shit done!

one of the big ironies of this whole situation is that these assholes WONT EVEN FUCKING BE HERE IN FIVE YEARS. think about it, they're either going to sell out, get the suv and go about their lives, or end up as old fucking insane shitty hippies either living in condos or out away from society. either way, their not doing shit for the world after they put in their "college years". just like the punk scene, almost no one is still rocking a mohawk at 40 (or even 30).

so yeah, fuck those people, they'll sellout soon enough. the real activists never stop making change in their local communities where it really makes a difference.

/rant

Bendixontherails

Reaction score
just like the punk scene, almost no one is still rocking a mohawk at 40 (or even 30).

you've got to admit though, it IS hard to look cool with a mohawk that ends at a bald spot!

but I agree. elitism is totally fuckin' useless. it prevents the accomplishment of actual goals, and stops the spread of information dead in it's tracks. if everyone in the room has the same viewpoints on most things,( which pretty much only happens if you do it on purpose ), there's no dissension. dissension breeds debate. debate breeds thought.

we NEED new ideas in our heads to stop apathy. if we only hang with people who have the same thoughts as we do, it's much harder to remain interested/interesting/meaningful.

just my 2cents.

spoorprint

Reaction score
I ran into an interesting variation -what R.D. Lang used to call a double bind(Damned if you do, damned if you don't). I mistakenly referred to a transgendered f>m person (who was very
androgynous) as she during one of the trainings and got schooled on it.So I thought, o.k., I'll work on it.

The next week I visit some old Lesbian friends and they go into a rant about how "Queer politics" is a betrayal of the liberating potential of radical feminism(because it implies fixed gender roles consistent with anatomy.) They see women becoming men as "running to male privilege.

I'm just gonna try to call everyone what they want to be called, try to treat everyone as individuals, thats all I can do.

Dameon

Reaction score
I would rather kill myself (or preferably, somebody else) than stay at a place like that. "Politically correct" is bullshit that people need to drop. I don't need to watch what I say and be sensitive to what terms everybody prefers, they need to grow a thicker skin so they don't feel an overwhelming urge to whine every time somebody says "chick" in reference to a girl. I've never even been on a ranch, but I don't get upset when somebody calls me a dude.

Most activists are, frankly, pretentious fucks. This is probably closely tied to the belief that you make a difference, protesting meat companies, genetically modified crops, and raising awareness about such important issues as...whatever those people consider important that the rest of us really don't care about. I would go so far as to say that many of them are intellectuals with so little idea of the real world that, if thrown into a cage with a hungry lion, they would attempt to talk it into turning vegetarian.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Hey, this is a great idea, let's use peer pressure and oppression to get rid of... oppression and peer pressure! Haha. A lot of college activists start forming cults after a while and then they disintegrate after alienating everyone around them.

skunkpit

Reaction score
iv been in similar situations involving roadkill and people "actively protesting" its processing within 100 meters of them.. its fuckin food.. the great suv gods killed that squirrel or raccoon or possum or deer or bear, and for some reason the great god only kills for sport...
anyways
i think over pc'ness is a distraction from the big fuckin picture, its not just factory farming we gotta worry about, or little trivial social drama in a squat.. its fuckin using oil to ship your goddamn goji berries raped from the hemalian mountains to you while the tofu truck rushes to provide a vegan meal while slotering animals on the highways..

instead of bickering about social ethics.. why not... use that energy to do something useful like, learn to skin, tan hides, process sinew, collect wild edibles, ask someone to teach you about wild plants in your area..

symbiotic relation ship i suppose, people who buy food consequently leave tasty nutrient rich animals flailed all over roads everywhere, the skill of hunting if important and vital in a survival situation but because so many animals are dead and dieing everywhere anyways on roads, i dont find it necessary to hunt yet..

blah /rant

elokupa

Reaction score
think of the amount of oil used to mine the metals from the earth for rifles, then shipping the metals, then the energy used to make rifle shapes, then shipping the final products. not to mention the bullet production...

bow and arrow! and not those carbon titanium super-duper modern bows. you can make your own with relative ease...

Christopher

Reaction score
I'll admit you were kicked out for differing view points, but the only thing we had plugged in was a refrigerator. We were able to keep our bikes outside because we had talked to most of the neighbors and been really friendly with them. The reason we ended up leaving the spot was because you had squatted the house next door by going in through a street facing door, so to avoid both of our spots getting ruined we left.

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
My one encounter was with a bunch of hippies that thought they were changing the world for the better by doing acid and talking about how Jesus eats cheetos. But the second I walk into their squat with my dog i got the constant feeling of paranoia like when i fall asleep if i dont spoon my pack and keep my dog on a leash next to me something is going to go missing. They pretty much would have treated me like shit because I was punk if I had let them. Oh and get this, they actually were fucking with my dog and throwing shit at her because they thought because she wasn't a pitt bull she was a pussy. Other than all that i put in $40 for beer, got 6 beers out of all that, and still had to sleep on the back porch. Why the fuck did I stay? Normally i would have Just taken the booze and left but i was stuck in a part of town i didnt know without a sleeping bag and i was baby sitting a young female friend of mine who refused to leave. Fuckin hippies.

dirtyfacedan

Reaction score
Fuck those assholes. Who needs that shit anyways. Life is bungle enough without some asshole trying to dangle a squat over your head.
I find fucks like these often become exactly what they are trying to not be....controlling manipulative shitheads. talk is cheap, actions are louder than words i find.

B

beat_tramp

yeah it's funny how the "activist" scene gets so dogmatic about that kinda stuff that it really does become a religion to them without them even noticing it. it's basically what i consider to be the "lunatic leftist fringe" that are just so pc and high and fucking mighty that they end of alienating people that aren't privilidged enough to have that same opinion because no matter how much they "acknoledge" their privilage, they're still white middle class kids that don't have to work for a living.

that's really the whole reason nothing ever gets done in the activst scene here in the states, because these people are too busy building their own little clubs/clicks of people that think EXACTLY like them, instead of diversifying themselves and trying to understand and help the people that need it and working with people that have different viewpoints other than their own and respecting that.

so yeah, while ill be the first to say 'fuck apathy/scumfucks' (the right side of the scale), ill also say 'fuck pretentious activist fucks' (the far left side of the scale). who's left over, you ask? the rest of us, the people in the middle, who i like to think of as reasonable, tolerant people that just want to get shit done!

one of the big ironies of this whole situation is that these assholes WONT EVEN FUCKING BE HERE IN FIVE YEARS. think about it, they're either going to sell out, get the suv and go about their lives, or end up as old fucking insane shitty hippies either living in condos or out away from society. either way, their not doing shit for the world after they put in their "college years". just like the punk scene, almost no one is still rocking a mohawk at 40 (or even 30).

so yeah, fuck those people, they'll sellout soon enough. the real activists never stop making change in their local communities where it really makes a difference.

/rant

Well fuckin said Matt.Yeah the problem is is that these priviledged upper middle class fuckers(not that theres anything wrong with someone for being born priviledged but they should be a little more fucking humble if they are) are mostly concerened with just satisfying their egos than true concern for the world situation.

Birdy

Reaction score
Widerstand said:
I would rather sleep outside in the worst weather in the world then have some fuck little stupid kid call me a patriarch cause I refereed to a women as chick.

I don't really know why, but right after I read that sentence juice almost came out of my nose from me laughing.

People like that really get under my skin. They make me feel like just because I don't know EVERYTHING about that one subject I shouldn't even be alive, and to them I say a kind FUCK YOU.

I am one lazy SOB and I personally don't give two fucks about who calls me what or what I call other people I'd rather just sleep all day and eat when my tummy growls. Damn people like that take the fun out of life and piss me off.

B

Benny

I agree!! I have traveled all over this country and the most uptight people I ever met were, jackass hippies. No different than a gang member or a preppie fuck.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
The worst thing is not that they're uptight, but that they won't step up if there is oppression in the form of actual violence. They're all words.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads