News & Blogs - once in a while something really good happens... kids reading to shelter dogs | Squat the Planet

News & Blogs once in a while something really good happens... kids reading to shelter dogs

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
http://mashable.com/2016/02/25/kids-read-shelter-dogs/

<edit - added text - wanted to add there's an adorable vid at the link, Tude>

The Humane Society of Missouri is rolling out a new program, which not only acquaints shy dogs with friendly humans, but also helps young kids with their reading and animal skills.

The program, called Shelter Buddies Reading Program pairs up youngsters with shelter dogs. The kids get to read to the dogs without judgement and the dogs are able to learn social skills, prepping them for a hopeful adoption.

According to an interview with The Dodo, the program was launched in December, and is now held once a month.

"We wanted to help our shy and fearful [dogs] without forcing physical interaction with them to see the positive effect that could have on them," program director Jo Klepacki told The Dodo.

The program, in which parents can enroll their children ages six to 15 online, encourages the youngsters to plop down in front of the dog's kennel, which is as adorable as it is helpful.

Klepacki says that they hope fearful dogs will show interest in the child, which can then be reinforced with a treat.

"What this is also doing is to bring the animals to the front in case potential adopters come through," Klepacki told The Dodo. "They are more likely to get adopted if they are approaching and interacting, rather than hiding in the back or cowering."

The humane society reports that high-energy dogs have also benefitted from the program.

In addition to practicing their reading skills Klepacki says that the children are also learning another valuable skill.

"It's encouraging children to develop empathy with animals," Klepacki said. "It's a peaceful, quiet exercise. They're ... seeing the positive affect they can have."

A similar reading program has been rolled out in New York City, but that program was geared towards helping children with reading-confidence programs, and featured service animals, not shelter animals.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
HEY - HOW HAVE YOU BEEN!! :) Missed ya! Anyway I put out as much text as I could from that site - a lovely vid is in that article! and tweeked yer title a bit.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads