Ocala rainbow gathering 2014 | Squat the Planet

Ocala rainbow gathering 2014

Joni

Reaction score
i found some banter on the potential sites and info on what is up after the 2013 ocala forest fire. obviously there is going to be some issues this year but could end up being a good year to go. it may end up at mary's lake(sp)???

well here is the rumour mill for those that you are heading south to ocala, fl. i am guessing hopkins prairie is a potential holding camp being hidden because of the hunting rule that the LEOs have imposed for years and the fire. oh! marion county now has a jailable pan handling rule.

youtube of the site after the fire -

rumour mill from the scouts - http://www.hipforums.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=468846

the light lines-
Florida Lightline(352) 463-0450Florida
Tampa Bay Area Lightline(813) 234-0856Tampa, FL

Barry208
"Two important pieces of news coming out of conversations with Tonee Davis, the Ocala Gathering permit administrator, earlier today. First, the Hopkins Prairie site has been officially reopened and will be reinspected on Friday. There are a few areas where the clean-up needs completion, please assist ASAP. Second, it is very unlikely that there will be a 2014 Ocala Gathering. When (if?) we return in a year or two, (2015 or 2016) as per discussions with the FS, the only logical site will be Lake Mary, a favorite among family. Assuming all goes well, the following year, we will try for another new site within the Ocala NF. A-Cola, therefore for 2014 is likely to be huge, over 1,000. Further, those planning to stay the winter of 2013/2014 in Ocala NF, on public lands, are probably not going find themselves hosted, safe or welcome. Please make plans accordingly. While final decisions will be made in council, on the land, this is the likely direction for the next few years.
Respectfully & with love, Barry

Hopkins Prairie off FR 54 to 33, inside, along the trails, searching for hidden campsites"

DonnieDarko617
"Disregard all rumors of cancellation. There will be an Ocala gathering whether there is a permit signed or not. Barry208, I believe that by you signing a permit for the gathering the last two years you have given the local officials more power over the matter than they have right to. The constitution grants us freedom to peacefully assemble. The forest fire that was blamed on the gathering was a result of a controlled burn by the Forestry Service becoming unmanageable due to high winds. The blame was placed on The Gathering in order to deter further gatherings from being held in the Ocala National Forest. Also, shortly after the 2013 Ocala Regional Gathering, there was a law passed in Marion County, Florida that makes panhandling of any type a jailable offense. There are many people trying to stop this gathering from happening anymore. We can't let them stop us from gathering on public lands!"

still a bit early to tell what's up, i'll keep looking...
-joni

Reactions: Matt Derrick
C

CrustyFagabond

I've been involved with a little of the talks for '14. They're needing scouts right now to look into withlacoochie SF. And possibly oceloa NF.
Ocala is not happy to welcome the rainbow back this year so IF it's held in ONF go at your own risk as it'll most likely not be legal.

Joni

Reaction score
in kprevious years that i have gone to ocala i showed up and asked where the hippies were at. that helped alot.

thomas mccoy

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
there is no excuse for it not to happen.. if everyone has the mindset "that its gonna not be fun" or whatever, they need to rethink why they are going to a gathering in the first place.. there is love and happiness to be had no matter the situation..

sideshowbxb

Reaction score
alright I got a question . . . never attended these gatherings but always wanted to but, anyhow, ive been traveling for a number of years mostly comin down here to florida during wintertime then heading west to my home state of texas, to anyone who can tell me, both about the a-cola or Ocala gatherings, how bad be the leos at these places?, in a way I feel this might be a dumb question, cuz, shit pigs are everywhere, they can even fly, but im just interested what peoples thoughts are on there prescence at these events or in the surrounding cities from the gatherings, reason I ask im trying to secure things for myself in the future at these events

D

Deleted member 20

The leo I was refereing to were the kind that wear green, ride atvs & or patrol the forests. Last year at a-cola (granted this was just after the ocala fire). There were cops patroling at dawn & actually questioning all they came in contact with. They were also compiling a database of rainbow names in attempt to find specific people & build a case. It seems that hippies are totally cool with spilling every ounce of information to the police. I personally wasnt at ocala but still felt under an abnormal microscope. They actually had pinpointed a few people & were actively trying to arrest them. I am unsure how that has evolved, so. I would advise keeping a manned fire pit, with a shovel & 5gallon bucket of water handy, dogs on a leash etc. As far as, alcohol, nudity & drugs, use your best judgement. Anyone in a-camp is sure to see leo more since closer to front gate. I think all who have nothin better to do should attend regardless. Best way to learn & see things isnt on a forum. As far as the local ciyies beeing saturated with dirty spangers & local leo, i am unsure. I assume if the local consensus is that the rainbow family isnt welcome; its easy enough to pass ordinances & harrass us travelers out in town. Its hard (not impossible) to find an empty intersection, wallmart etc to fly a sign at once the gathering gets going. I get tired of dirty kids & hippies alike acusing me of being an undercover cop while attending. I have still made nice conections with people who didnt judge me. My camo pack, clothes, face & boots are too military, clean & expensive looking to be anything but an undercover. The fact that i have no soul & all dogs think i am the antichrist doesnt help. Im just the grim reaper hanging with mortals is all. If you see me be nice & give me alcohol & all will be well!

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads