Northern California Commune

ped

Glorified monkey
Banned
Reaction score
I'm married now and would have to discuss it with wife but I personally like the idea of going in on land but the deed should be held in a trust so that not one person could sell it off.... she's a teacher so distance to a town that would give her a job would be important

For sure on a trust. Then we'd have to deal with everyone pulling their weight on taxes.

To me that would be about the extent of the commune aspect. The rest is up to everyone if they want to share a house or meals.

I don't think buying enough land to farm 100% or even 25% is feasible though. We're talking 100+ acres for that kind of thing.

Reaction score
Actually I have been doing a lot of work on planning out a farming system. And with a selection of about 10 or 15 common crops (I haven't had time to look at more crops) assuming we can grow all year round (so winter has to have nights in the mid to upper 30's, basically the valley or low foothills) and assuming average production for small farms. And assuming we have green houses that can start some plants that take a long time to grow and fruit (for example eggplants), and we harvest and plant the new crops in two weeks between each growing season (any longer and we couldn't have four growing seasons). One person could eat off six rows that are 3 feet wide and 100 feet long with 3 foot walk ways between every row, and then a seventh row would be added for seed crops so we could have seeds for the next year. Also this would produce 20% excess food (I like to over estimate some since the conditions I am requiring might be a bit on the ideal side).

ped

Glorified monkey
Banned
Reaction score
what would be the diet? how many calories daily? I assume theres no grain for flour?

the overall rule of thumb is about an acre (~43,500sq ft) per person. you have it 3,600 sq ft or less than 1/10th of an acre. the lowest estimate I've seen is about 8,000 sq ft total.

http://www.farmlandlp.com/2012/01/one-acre-feeds-a-person/

finally what about wood for heating and cooking?

Last edited:
Reaction score
The one acre thing is for the average american diet which is made up of large amounts of meat. This would be a vegan diet. If you add in meat and other animal products the area starts climbing really fast. I did one plan with chickens and just a few chickens made the land need go way up. And this is just farm area so fire wood and all other necessities aren't taken into account. For the diet I used these crops.
Summer crops
Sugar beets: 200 pounds 200 plants (34 pounds of sugar) not considered when calculating food
Cucumber: 120 pounds 50 plants
Summer Squash (assorted): 150 pounds 66 plants
Corn: 150 pounds 100 plants
Eggplant: 100 pounds 66 plants
Tomato: 100 pounds 66 plants
Spring crops
Lettuce: 50 pounds 600 plants
Carrots: 100 pounds 600 plants
Potatoes: 100 pounds 120 plants
Cauliflower: 100 pounds 85 plants
Parsnips: 100 pounds 400 plants
Endive: 55 pounds 200 plants
Soybeans: 50 pounds 300 plants
Fall/winter crops
Broccoli: 100 pounds 85 plants
Leeks: 45 pounds 600 plants
Cabbage: 150 pounds 85 plants
Turnips: 50 pounds of root/ 50 pounds of greens 600 plants
Onions: 100 pounds 400 plants

The pound and plant amount is based off of 100 foot rows of plants. And for calories. I didn't take calories into account, I used poundage which I find to be a more reliable gauge. Because a protein bar could have more calories then some cans of soups, but the soup fills you up more because it weighs more. I assumed that everyone eats 5 pounds of food a day. 4 is considered necessary for people to be healthy. And 5 1/2 is what the average American eats. So I went a little on the high side of food consumption.

Reaction score
Also not saying everyone should go vegan, because a lot of people won't want to. I am just telling you the base land requirements. Adding stuff on will add onto land. But vegetable wise this is how much land you will probably need.

rusty

Reaction score
I really don't have a plan anymore, but the commune idea is starting to crumble. If someone else wants to jump in and keep this going go ahead, but it looks like I might be out. Not sure yet, but it isn't looking good.

don't give up! it could take a lifetime, but you can do it.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads