Northern California Commune

MilkaNoobie

Reaction score
Screenshot_20161009-122442.png

Reaction score
The area that I picked is approximate, it could be moved slightly. But a hill side makes irrigation much easier because you can use a wind powered pump (I have the design but it is a bit hard to explain through text) to get the water up hill and into a holding ditch then the irrigation system can go from the holding ditch to the farms and water through gravity feed. And I don't want to build next to a fire road because fire roads might be patrolled occasionally and that is kind of the opposite of what we want.

Reaction score
Okay so I have been off for a long time, sorry. I have been busy with the rest of my life and have not had much time to work on the commune. But I have been working on researching food production and I should be done with that soonish and I have also made a timeline so that people can see kind of what I am going to be doing in the next few months and if people are interested in helping they can. Here is the link to the timeline https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CugQBhmLqdj11rk1ahMHQkJyEUfpGRsGfdp4WbJvWog/edit

Kal

Reaction score
Starting a commune on land that could be sold out from under you sounds like a chance for a lot of hard work to go to waste
Have you heard of Slab City people have been squating here for years.

Reaction score
Hi Kal, are you from Slab City? It looks a little bit like Cornelius' library in the background of your profile picture. But anyway I have heard a lot about Slab City and I was wondering if you know if the cops harass people from Slab City or if they ever tried to shut it down and if Slab City has any legal thing that is protecting them? Because I am going to try to start a commune in Northern California even if it means I might get chased off by cops or even arrested, but I am curious how likely cops are to show up and try to shut down a squat/commune. And knowing Slab City's trouble with cops might give me a guideline of how much of a pain cops are going to be.

Reaction score
Just a reminder that I am going to do some scouting of the location next week Saturday the 17th until friday the 23rd or Saturday 24th. If anyone is interested in also scouting anytime while I am out their let me know.

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
Corvous, hi..
I haven't replied to your message, yet, since I wasn't sure when I would be in the area..

I should be near Arena Point, soon (24 hours or less, as I am in Fort Bragg), and am going to make a quick scout of the area.

Unfortunately I don't see being here any later than tomorrow, though I am going slowly.. About 50 miles or do a day, I would say..

Update yer status & bump the post.

Good luck!!

John

D

Deleted member 17306

Hi Kal, are you from Slab City? It looks a little bit like Cornelius' library in the background of your profile picture. But anyway I have heard a lot about Slab City and I was wondering if you know if the cops harass people from Slab City or if they ever tried to shut it down and if Slab City has any legal thing that is protecting them? Because I am going to try to start a commune in Northern California even if it means I might get chased off by cops or even arrested, but I am curious how likely cops are to show up and try to shut down a squat/commune. And knowing Slab City's trouble with cops might give me a guideline of how much of a pain cops are going to be.

I think you misunderstand what slab city is. I haven't spent much time there in the last few years, but the cops in slab city are funny. They're bored, they will fuck with you if you give them a reason to and they do a sweep twice a year to ID everybody. Amusingly, I've given them a fake name with no SS on 5 separate occasions and walked away..one time, I was riding in the back of a truck..got pulled over, cop knew my ID was sketchy from a prior experience with him, so he pat me down, made fun of my Mexican weed, gave it back to me and sent me on my way. They're not terrible for the most part, but they probably will want to fuck with you at some point.

With that being said, starting your own commune is going to be nothing like slab city and comparing the two isn't likely to be of any help.

creature

Banned
Reaction score
Double check the coordinates in the message body. They are about 60 miles north of the map coordinstes.

I'm using the map coords, now.

Interestingly, the text coords give a route that says private Rd & registered guest, so they're pointing at something, but def not near Point Arena. I'll take the roads to the map coords as far as I can, but if they get too rough, I'll see what I can do on bike or foot.

Looks like it should be a nice place to crash, if reachable.

I'd imagine no service, so I'll fill you in when I come out.

creature

Banned
Reaction score
OK.. i konked out at the beach, last night, since it got a bit dark, nearing the road to Booneville, off of CA1..

Started out for the map coordinates this morning, heading east/southeast on Mountain View rd..
from CA1 it is 16 miles, 8.5 of it on Mountain View... of the last 7.5 miles 5.5 of it is behind a seriously gated road, the final 2 are off road.ok.

i just lost a full page of editing, so, briefly..
i'm sorry to be the bearere of bad news.
you have a 15 mile round trip hike.
this is posted as govermnet land, and the gate is a heavy duty steel swing barricade that cannot be circumnavigated.

i can't seem to upload the photo, but maybe later from my computer, insteads of this fucking phone..

in any case i would *love* to find a place on the rual or undeverloped coast..
i'm not juyst shooting this down.. been waiting & hoping..

there's no access, but may you can find another way in..

good luck, Corvus, & thanks for wanting to do something solid..

Last edited:

creature

Banned
Reaction score
BTW.. I'm going to look at Miner Hole Road, about 2 miles north of Point Arena, on the west hand side, just before the bridge, heading north.

Been there a number of times, but have never researched owners or boundary lines

creature

Banned
Reaction score
For, hit me up.
I can stay here until Saturday, and we can use my truck, if you don't have a vehicle while your here.

Please let me know ASAP, since I have to meet folks in Berkeley.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Okay so I read your post and that is problematic with the gate and everything. I will do a little looking around when I am up there and see what I can find. I only have five days to scout because I am getting there on Saturday and coming back on Wednesday (I can no longer stay a week). But anyway I will do some looking around and road exploring and see if I can find a good spot. I feel like there has to be some place in that giant forest… hopefully. And if you want to meet on Saturday I can, but if you need to get to Berkeley I don't want to get in the way of those plans. Also once I get back I will give a report on what I found so everyone interested can look at my findings. I am going to do some scouting for a better area, do water samples of boiled river water for pesticides, copper, lead, nitrates, nitrites, PH, iron, and a few others such as hardness, chlorine, and bacteria since these tests come with the kit I bought. I will also do soil tests for nitrogen, phosphorous, potassium, and PH. And I will do a few other tests while scouting.

creature

Banned
Reaction score
Hopefully you hit paydirt on you first run.
Don't be disappointed if you don't.

Def poke around on Google maps for Miners Hole Road.

I have a sneaking suspicion..

Reaction score
Okay I did some scouting. On the bright side there is a lot of wild food (tones of raspberries and some manzanita), dead trees for firewood, some wildlife (not much), the soil seems fertile (I was going to do some soil tests but couldn't) and the water tests show that the streams are most likely fine to drink long term if the water is boiled first. But it seems like the hole forest is basically a no go. They patrol those woods really well. I avoided getting caught trespassing and camping some how, but they had quads scouting around where I was most days, which I somehow always just nearly avoided. I heard them driving around, I saw there tracks, and the day I left right after I got onto the main road I saw three trucks go by with the logging company's logo on them each with a quad in the back going toward the logging road I was camping next to. I think they were looking for squatters because I found some notes on logging ribbons about quote "Hobo camps". So yeah they have the whole forest surprisingly locked down. I really don't have a plan anymore, but the commune idea is starting to crumble. If someone else wants to jump in and keep this going go ahead, but it looks like I might be out. Not sure yet, but it isn't looking good.

ped

Glorified monkey
Banned
Reaction score
Really wish ppl would want to go in on a buy. So much cheap land in outskirts. Could have it by spring.

MilkaNoobie

Reaction score
I'm married now and would have to discuss it with wife but I personally like the idea of going in on land but the deed should be held in a trust so that not one person could sell it off.... she's a teacher so distance to a town that would give her a job would be important

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads