Northern California Commune

Reaction score
So I want to start a community (really a giant squat) in Northern California. So I am looking for people who would want to help me make this a reality. This community would be at the location at these coordinates 38.86317, -123.56133. You can just put them into google maps to see the place that I have picked. It is near the coast of California. The reason I picked this place is that it is near an abandoned military base (I would have decided to start building in the base, but one person lives there and makes sure people don't do things like that). But the good thing about being close to the base is that no one wants the property because they would have to clean it up and that would be a lot of work (the place that I want to squat is in the woods and clean, but the base itself has all the lovely toxins such as led paint.) So this squat would be on property that no one wants making this commune less likely to be destroyed by police. Also the place that I picked is in the forest about five miles from any town and only accessible by one road that does not even have a name and then a about a half mile hike. So this commune will be unlikely to be discovered by the general public. But this commune would still have access to products that we can not make ourselves because if someone walks five miles into town they can buy stuff granted they have the money to buy those things. But for the most part I am hoping for this commune to be self sustaining. Which I have done the research and I believe I have all the knowledge to make it self sustaining. The commune would also be close to the coast giving us mild growing seasons, but very long growing seasons. We might even be able to have gardens all year round but I doubt that the gardens will be very productive in the winter even while only growing winter crops. The commune would also be close to a river which would provide water which could be boiled and then drunk. The river is also known for its fishing. So fish could be a good food source during the time of year when salmons and steelheads migrate through the river. But I also care a lot about the environment so fishing needs to stay at a rate that is not detrimental to the salmon or steelhead population in the river. Also there are deer near by which are practically tame. So hunting deer when need be would be very easy (again no over hunting.) Obviously over time the deer will stop being tame, but at the start (which I think will be the hardest part of making this commune) deer could be hunted pretty easily. Also this commune will be on a hill which will make irrigating gardens easier. I also have 8 chickens which I am going to bring with me and I am going to try to get more chickens soon.
If people are concerned about how this commune is going to be run, and what rules might apply. I don't have any formal rules. But I do have some things that I would like to see and some things that I would not like to see. First off drugs. I don't like drugs. I am fine with people who do some more mild drugs or who only do drugs on rare occasions like celebrations and stuff. But if you have an addiction or just really like drugs I would prefer if you stayed away. Not trying to be a prude about drugs. But in excess drugs can cause a lot of problems for everyone. Also food will go to everyone and anyone who needs it. But I want people to be willing to work. Also my plan for settling conflicts are going to be group meetings. I would hope that most conflicts could be settled by the people who are part of the conflict. But I know people are not always good at working with each other and compromising. So if there is a conflict that can't be settled I was thinking that we could just call a group meeting. It would just be a group of people who are interested in settling the conflict. If you don't care about helping to resolve the conflict you don't have to get involved. So it would be all voluntary. Whoever goes to the meeting would try to think of a deal or a solution to the problem that both sides of the conflict would except as fair. This may not always work and people might start to hate each other. But I am hoping that most people could be reasonable enough so that mostly everyone gets along.
So anyway if you are interested in helping me with this ambitious project then you can reply and email me at corvusinculta@gmail.com or friend me on Facebook (my name is Corvus Inculta) my Facebook is only going to be used for communicating with people who are interested in this idea so it is a good way to get in contact with me. Also I am still in high school (I know I am young) and I desire to graduate so I was thinking about starting this commune in mid June of 2017. This is not ideal because we will lose a growing season before winter, but I think we can make it work.

Reaction score
It is government owned because the property is part of the military base that they shut down in 1998. They have been trying to sell the land but can't because it is just forest or a decaying military base and it would take a lot of money to clean up the base. I would have proposed just squatting on the base but one person lives there to make sure people don't do that, and people occasionally visit the base because people like to see decaying buildings. Squatting in the forest is safer and we are less likely to get harassed by average people and cops.

Reactions: Kal
Reaction score
The land has not sold in almost 20 years and if it does sell it will probably sell for the use of the area where the base is not where the forest is. The commune is about 2 miles from the base. So yeah it is a risk, but one I think is low.

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
interesting...

i'm a surveyor..

thank you for this post.

i'll read in detail & investigate.. there may be some options...

creature

Banned
Reaction score
looked up the lat-long, but didn't see a military base.. what are the co-ords for the base?

any other details?
PM me if you've done any research beyond the present footwork..

Thanks!

Reaction score
I fear cluttering the chat up to much with a bunch of posts but I feel this could be useful information. So here is all the information that I have about the base.

This is a link to a map that I have added a tone of things to. It is really messy and there is not much of a system to it, but for the most part the red markers represent where man made things are. Sorry that it is so messy but I just made it for my notes I never meant for other people to look at it.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/edit?mid=1gxTW_NFLHgCstTrWkcr7IJ7mVz4
The coordinates of the base are
38.89378, -123.54103
This is the wikipedia article on the base
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_Arena_Air_Force_Station
This is a website with a bunch of photos of the base
http://www.radomes.org/museum/recent/PointArenaAFSCA.html
This website has a bunch of articles. One of the articles close to half way down the page titled "The Point Arena Air Force Station" has some more info on the base
http://theava.com/archives/44028
The base has very little information about it so this is all I was able to find, but it was enough information for my needs. I hope this is helpful.

Also I have not visited the base or the area around it because I don't live to close to it. But I am hoping to visit the base around Christmas so that I can do some scouting and get more in depth information about the location.

creature

Banned
Reaction score
PM'd ya.. I can hit the north central coast this weekend, Arena Point, if that is useful & if anyone else might just like a nice drive out of the bay..

I am fucking down with this..

D

Deleted member 14481

That does sound interesting. I think I'm sitting where I am for a while, but I'll point some people your way, if I remember to.

MilkaNoobie

Reaction score
You mentioned food for all you could build your commune on a wagon wheel pattern and have the kitchen/meeting place at the center and first ring out could be farms followed by homes in ring 2 and as you grow put additional rings 3 could be more farms....surprising you mentioned hunting in a state like California which is primarily anti gun

Sent from my iPad using the Squat the Planet mobile app!

Reaction score
That is a pretty cool structure in the video, the idea that I had for long term shelters would be log cabin like structures. Basic directions for building these shelters can be found at this link
http://www.motherearthnews.com/green-homes/build-a-log-cabin-zmaz81mjzraw.aspx?PageId=1
Since these structures take a good amount of time to make I was thinking of temporary shelters such as lean to shelters and tents. And about the wagon wheel design for the commune lay out. I like the idea but since this commune is going to be built on a hill that design will not work. All the farms need to be close ish to the river and facing all down hill so that the irrigation system that I designed can work. And I was thinking of just having the buildings above the farms and a local cooking place near the center of the mass of houses. And then the outhouse will be put at the down stream end of the commune just on the very unlikely chance that the bacteria in waist in the outhouse lichees through the soil and hits the river. This is very unlikely to happen as long as the outhouse is built decently far away from the river, but I don't want to take any chances. And about the guns. I am planing on not using guns for hunting. I built a crossbow which is powerful enough for hunting small and medium game, and other simple weapons like this are not hard to make and I know how to build snare traps that can catch small game. And then fishing needs no gun. So hunting with a gun is not necessary. And I would not advice hunting with a gun because guns make a lot of noise and even as secluded of an area as the one I picked I still fear that gun shots will be audible by people in the area and this could attract unwanted attention. Also hunting in general is going to be as minimal as we can, but I think it will be necessary just to give use another way of getting food.

creature

Banned
Reaction score
the very first thing to do, after assessing the appropriateness of the land, is to find out about issues of title.

communes on abandoned land in coastal california, without legal standing, are a very, very. very bad idea.

i'm down, but don't get your hopes up or start planning anything grandiose.. you *may* get away with camping..

what you need to do, mostly, is find out if any viable mineral claims can be had in the area, if it is federal land, or in proximity..

if it is private & if taxes are current, eviction will follow within 18 months, especially if it is posted..

so.. check it out first, before enjoying the labors of folly, ok?

if step one & two are clear, the biggest hurdles are probably done..

Reaction score
Okay so I have done some more research on who owns the property and I was wrong about the government owning the property the government only owns the base itself not the land around the base. I found that I need to move my original location about 2.5 miles inland, but on the same river and everything. This land is owned by the conservation fund. This is not ideal, but nothing in this world is ideal. And it is the best location I could find. It is still good for farming and hunting, it is even more secluded. It is still near the ocean which has a lot of resources such as salt. And stealing land from the conservation fund seems relatively safe. They own a tone of forest in Northern California which they sell to logging companies after letting citizens tour the area and weigh in on if the forest should be sold or not. Since the conservation fund owns so much land and it takes a long time for logging deals to go through it is very unlikely that we will be disturbed by people. And even if we get discovered and people want to kick us off we could probably convince the people who find us to let us talk to the head of the conservation fund. The person who is the leader of the conservation fund for this area is Chris Kelly. He is very concerned about the environment and agriculture since he also plays a role in the Marine Agricultural Land Trust. So personally if I had to convince anyone to let us stay on their land it would be him. So in conclusion it is unlikely that people will find this commune, and if people do then we just have to convince a person whose career is based around conservation and agriculture to allow us to continue to practice sustainable agriculture on a very small portion of his land.

Now I know the idea of stealing land might be scary to some people, but squatting is the act of stealing land, not only to avoid the costs of buying land but also to make a social statement about private property and the illegalization of homelessness whether it is homelessness out of circumstance our out of choice. So yes this idea is risky I will admit that, but every protest is risky and I have tried to minimize this risk as much as I can.

So that is my report/inspirational speech. So look at this information and use your own judgment to decided if you are willing to take this risk. I get that it is risky and I don't blame anyone who is not willing to take these risks.

creature

Banned
Reaction score
Interesting... On a river.. Def might be claim territory..

Also, going a conservancy may come with at least minor usage rights..

MilkaNoobie

Reaction score
The coordinates are 38.87158, -123.51877

Screenshot_20161009-121528.png

You sure do like building on the side of hills and mountains ....thats 500ft up on the side ....just barely east is a valley next to the water of the river plus a tributary and a lake near the end of a fire road

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads