North Carolina?

S

SeymourGlass

I'm moving to NC shortly, but I don't know what's there. Is anybody from there or familiar with the state? I'm basically looking for venues, co-ops, farmers markets, and a wicked neighborhood to move to...

tober

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
ear pwr is located there and play a bunch of shows all around the state, lots in asheville especially.

Maxx

Reaction score
carrboro/chapel hill is an incredible little city, it seems like radical culture is integrated into most parts of the community. ive traveled through twice and their welcoming of travelers. and the community is very localized and small, nothing like a large city, more like a college town. free buses, free food every day of the week, monthly really really free markets, the internationalist bookshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internationalist_Books and the cat's cradle.

asheville is incredible too but i was sick most of the time i was there.

raleigh and greensboro are also nice but they're pretty damn big.

M

Mouse

that's some cool shit to know. I'm prolly going to be moving to fayetteville after I'm done school in PA so I'm all about figureing our what NC is like. I've never been.

M

midget

i'm actually movin to asheville by the end of this year. asheville has a decent scene. raleigh kids are cool. chapel hill is nice. i didn't meet any kids there but that town is cool. i've got some friends in greensboro and asheville. they're pretty chill kids. if you want, you can hit me up on mycrack and i'll give you their info and shit. http://www.myspace.com/analcuntfuck.

all in all, north carolina is a sick state.

O

Oaksey

It's funny to hear you guys go on about NC. I've lived here most of my life so it doesn't feel all that wonderful, but as far as cities go, Carrboro is one of my favorite. I have never had a bad time in Carrboro and I got my cat at one of the free markets you speak of.
I went to school in Greensboro for awhile in 2006 and 2007, but most of the venues that I used to go to (4 corners, Elam House, etc) have closed. I know only of The Hive and Somewhere Else Tavern now, that I'm sure are still open. The Hive is a collective-type place that has a free university and is a good place to stop in if you're traveling (free computer use, etc.) and SWET has had a couple shows that I enjoyed but usually I only frequent it for the people that go.
On Tate St. by UNC-G (and just a short walk from the RR tracks) there are a few bums that hang out and they'll help you find food if you are really desperate. There's a church that gets food deliveries every morning (usually bread, etc) and you're welcome to it. And there's a place called Jimmy-Johns that sells day-old bread for .50 (or gives it away free if you catch them right after they cash out the registers!) It's pretty easy to bum just about anything in Greensboro and there are plenty of train-hoppers to be found if you look in the right places. As far as sleeping on the streets goes, there's a set of abandoned tracks (surrounded by ones that are still used) once you get to the city part (a short hike from uncg) and there is a little hobotown you can pretty easily set up in. Dirty Rig and I slept under an overpass one night.
As far as UNC-Greensboro goes, DEFINITELY take advantage of everything you can while you're in Greensboro. Last Summer I was stuck in Greensboro for a week or so and Dirty Rig and I slept in the Meditation Room in the EUC building one morning after a particularly wet night. Just find a secluded spot in there and lay down. If you're around college-aged no one will say anything to you. If you can, socialize with some freshmen near the Cone and Reynolds buildings and you might be able to score your way into the building and sleep in the basement if you're good. They have nice couches and a kitchen and bathroom. As long as you make it look like you just 'forgot' to go back to your dorm you can pull it off. Leave the TV on or whatever. And you can probably find some nice students to buy you food since the freshman usually have unlimited meal plans. But beware, if you plan on pan-handling, you'll want to get a permit (free in Greensboro, $20 bucks in Raleigh and you'll need to provide information like address, SSN etc.)

RALEIGH: there are plenty plenty plenty of places to go here. For starters there's the GSS House (2) off of Western Blvd, Sadlack's off of Hillsborough St. (across from the belltower on NC State's campus) and the Brewery (as seen on American Hardcore, but I wouldn't recommend it anymore), and the ACRe collective on Mayview (?) which holds shows every now and then. When Dirty Rig and I were in Raleigh we spent a few days wandering the streets and when we got kicked out of Pullen Park (stupid rangers) we slept behind a building a few yards from the tracks. On the other side of the tracks was some type of prison which we didnt realize until after we'd settled down for the night. The homeless people/bums in Raleigh are very nice and will usually help you find free stuff (cigarettes, food, water, etc.). And if you have a little money, I'd suggest the NYPizza on Hillsborough St. Two slices and a drink for like 4 bucks and you can usually score some good crust if you keep an eye out.

And let's not forget dumpstering. There's a bruggers bagel place on Hillsborough st that you can go to right before they close and ask (not the manager!) one of the employees if they'll put the toss-outs right outside the back door instead of in the dumpster (or if you miss them, you can just get them out of the dumpster yourself, but they might be jeopardized.)

If anyone else is going to be in the raleigh area anytime soon, hit me up (PM me) and I'll see if I can't help you out a little!

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score
Watauga and Ashe counties can be pretty nice in the winter for finding really good squats if your careful about it. All the rich assholes that own summer property in the mountains go back to Florida or Georgia and wherever else they call home in the winter and leave alot of really good property unattended. Boone is alot like a tiny version of Asheville only without as good of transportation in and out(no trains, you have to hitch or drive).

downhome kid stoney

Reaction score
greenville nc is nice, theres this venue called the spazztorium and its free, byob, they do ask for a donation, but you dont have to pay one, i usally throw 50 cents to a buck.

also greenville is on the tar river

I

IBRRHOBO

Footnote on Asheville, I was just there a month ago. Pretty big crackdown on the homeless there. Pritchard Park has a Sat eve drum circle and everyone usually meets up there. Don't hang too much there during the day. Great yard. The tower looks like a Japanese POW tower! ABCCM has good soup and sandwiches, Z-House has good feeds in the local parks. If ur gonna camp, follow the trax out to the French Broad River. You'll pay DEARLY for inner city camping. Panhandling is VERY taboo and will get u a ticket. Decent scene and passing thru scene though. No more stand down (used to be in OCT) for the vets for gear. Good hunting!

Dirty Rig

Reaction score
I'm in Asheville right now, actually. The trains are excellent, and I've found 3 squats within 2 miles from downtown after being here only for 4 days. If you're interested in the location of these squats, PM me. I don't want to reveal their locations publically on an open board. But the trains are incredible, and run all day. 2 of the squats I've been staying at have been located directly on the tracks. At the Ice House, the trains stop right in front of the squat several times a night.

If you want more info on how Asheville works, and wanna know a few hot-spots and places to check out, PM me.

ps: Go to Rosetta's Kitchen at 11pm at night. It's a vegetarian restaraunt that's all about helping out street kids, travelers, and squatters. If you go in at closing time and offer to sweep some floors, you'll get hooked up with an emormous, free vegan meal that they are eager to dish out. They almost rely on travelers to help them close the restaraunt for the night, so check it out.

D

dirty_feet

I appreciate all the info on North Carolina. I've thought about Boone several times and did a short stint at the Nantahala Outdoor Center. It's a place I could retire in eventually. Asheville, Boone, Chapel Hill...the list goes on. I'm from the east coast and am partial to the south. It's an important place for me to visit, I hope it stays cool.

Grasshopper

Reaction score
Website
www.brandonwilliamson.webs.com
Born and raised in Tarboro, North Carolina here.
Raleigh is a haven for venues these days, especially low key show houses.
Seems as if the underground art stream is really bursting into life out there.
Traffic is a little crazy and Raleigh is quite big.
Great food, great people.

Grasshopper

Reaction score
Website
www.brandonwilliamson.webs.com
ha
I am from Tarboro! (which is tiny)
and i meant spread-out more so than big.

I

incrustwetrust

north carolina is definitley a great fucking state. i had so much fun in greensboro, made a friend there who ive since kicked it with in philly, nj, portland, and oly (kinda coincedental since we never traveled together eh?)

although is you met a fucker singing in the park on friendly ave in greensboro named noah, dont let him con you into playing with him. he has a great voice and apparently works it many nights a week, but after drumming and playing with him for two hours the fucker took 25 of the 30 something dollars we made, hopped in his brand new car and peeled out leaving us to spend all of of what was left on beer and pass out in the park...if i see that fucker again haha..

jokey_bogus

Reaction score
my advice to you is stay far far away from NC, unless you are driving... im here in NC currently but im staying with family for the moment. i was hitching through NC and SC on my way to GA and a friend and I got stuck on exit 5 just before SC for a week and a half with no supplies, and got stuck in Winston_salem for a month... the mountains are cool, and the randallman area is cool. hitch just sucks around this way. it may be that way now most places, im not sure ie been out of the loop for a little while

I

IBRRHOBO

Boone is a really cool spot ... smaller than A-hole, but they have a killer joint to clean up, eat and laundry @. Boone Saloon is a good hook up for venues, kidz and work. panhandling is legal and if u go homeless there ur nutz. college kidz ALWAYS provide a couch. cops could give a shit. no trains, no greyhound and really no squats though. good camping. Good Hunting!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads