mosquitos and bugs

CdCase123

Reaction score
When I was in the woods up in Maine, I got bitten so much that my body got used to it and ignored it.

thats amazing and encouraging! I always wondered when i would watch travel/nature specials and watch all the natives being completly unaffected by the constant bugs occupying their bodies.

as for all the people talking about smoke, i dont know where this terrible advice came from. but mostquitos are attracted to Co2.

614 crust

Ex-Moderator / Elitist asshole
Reaction score
Website
feralkidscreations.com
4011-a.jpg

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
as for all the people talking about smoke, i dont know where this terrible advice came from. but mostquitos are attracted to Co2.

Well, mosquitoes are attracted to carbon dioxide, but they actually don't like smoke. But with the amount of smoke needed to keep them away, you'll damage your lungs if you keep it up for a long while. Tribespeople from the old Scottish highlands and certain parts of Africa had badly ventilated huts where the smoke would repel mosquitoes and flies, though nowadays screens are the way of keeping bugs away.

Mogwai

Reaction score
Peppermint oil and garlic have always worked well for me too. Also, peppermint oil keeps a variety of bugs away, not just mosquitoes.

CdCase123

Reaction score
Widerstand said:
In the summer time I have a small pump spray bottle of 98% DEET... You can try all the natural things in the world but if I'm out in say Montana maybe near a system of lake ill let the people get eaten alive and ill be watching them land on my arms and die.

watching people die in your arms or mosquitos?

Reactions: ipoPua

CdCase123

Reaction score
Widerstand said:
Yes ill be watching people land on my arms and die... I thought it was obvious I was talking about mozzies and not people.

except of course that DEET doesnt work by killing mosquitos, nor does it even repel them, but infact just prevents them from detecting us in the first place.

but it is nice to have an open approach to natural repellents/alternatives as there can be many reasons not to use DEET, or reasons why one wouldn't be able to use DEET to begin with.

Toxic*Flood*Brew

Reaction score
didn't take the time to read if this has been said,but, deet the more deet a bottle has in it the better.Deet is the shit that actually repels the other shit is fragrance and water.Walmart sells 100% deet yeah it gives you cancer but fuck the bugs. or just spray it on your cloths.

K

Kim Chee

Yeah, I know this is an old thread but it is almost spring despite what it looks like in your neighborhood, mosquito/bug season is almost upon us.

A few years ago (yes, they had mosquitoes back then) I was in Dilworth, ND waiting for my train. I couldn't help but notice the overabundance of ticks and mosquitoes. They were the worst I had ever seen. I could not be anywhere near the tracks without getting shredded by some of the lowest life forms on the planet. So, what was a broke ass train rider to do in such a situation? I went across the street to the local K-Fart and went to the aisle where the bug spray is kept. I could have walked out the store without paying, but that would be stealing and that is not my usual m.o. So I pick up the bug spray and proceed to slowly walk down a couple of aisles all the time spraying the shit out of myself and clothing. I made sure to get a good dose as I didn't want to be fucked with by any more bloodsuckers. I set the can down and headed out the store confident that it would work. When I got back to the track NO insect problem. Well, for 8 hours anyway there was no problem. The label says it is good for 8 hours and they do not lie, you can set a damn clock by that shit. So I headed back in the store to reapply. It took me awhile to get out of that yard as security was a bit tight (being a noob didn't help either), but I did get out. I will always try to remember that I can go into a store and "sample" their product in the future.

Dead horse

Reaction score
I just let it happen that is unless i'm in somewhere like northern Ontario after sun down then i just run for parking lots and shit like that that are away from standing pools of water

dharma bum

anarcho-transcendentalist
Reaction score
SULFUR POWDER!!! it's a little harder to find these days, maybe at an old mom and pops pharmacy. put some in the bottom of some panty hose and tie a knot in it. pat it all over you and your clothes. does smell a little bad, but not like sulfur water or boiled eggs, but it DOES THE JOB!
also the dryer lint thing works well too. instead of just patting it on your clothes, just put one in each pocket.
another thing... if you DO get bitten, if you don't scratch it for about 15-20 min the itch will normally go away depending on where the bite is.

hope this helps.

Dishka8643

Reaction score
target and wallmart sometimes carry this lemon-eucalyptus & tea-tree oil bug spray. It's non corrosive to clothing, and non toxic to humans. Works great against ticks and mosquito's. Downside is it needs to be reapplied every 6 hours.

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
If you have a fire going burn some Red Cedar branches. Mosquitoes hate the smoke from Red Cedar. But don't just throw the branches
right on the fire, let them smolder on the edge of your fire so you get more smoke out of them.
You can also try crushing and rubbing on yourself the leaves of Spicebush (Lindera benzoin). Mosquitoes are not very fond of it
but it's not fool proof. Spicebush is great for keeping gnats out of your eyes. Rub your eyebrows with crushed spicebush leaves and
good bye gnats.
As for ticks, I generally make my body an unpleasant host for them, sassafras tea daily and increase my tobacco use.

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
yeah i just chain smoke cigarettes.
That shit will work to keep ticks from biting you too!
I have a friend who smokes a pipe, but he smokes at least half a dozen times a day. He could walk a mile through a field of ticks
and chiggers and nothing will bite him!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads