Israel

stove

Reaction score
Go for the trip. I did one years ago when I was 16, an entire summer (Not quite birthright, Gadna). It's a pretty sick experience, if for nothing else than it's totally different. If all else fails, and the college kids bore you to death, you'll have at least two armed guards with the group at all times. They're usually hella chill, and they're probably more bored than anyone. Try hitting them up for good beta on local spots.

wokofshame

Reaction score
Website
www.weather.gov
dirtyfeet-israel is bom-diggity! and birthright even GIVES YOU CASH, as well as tons of other freebies and shit.
i didn't fit in either but had a hell of time with people way different than me.
as i have no jewsih name, only my maternal grandmother is actually, no jewish background, the israeli screeners pulled me aside and i just barely made the flight after their thorough interrogation. def important to show up 5 hours early at the airport.
but they won't stop you from going, i even brought knives and stuff but had them in my checked pack.
make sure to extend your ticket and check out some cool shit, ireccomoend

a) the tsvat (zfat) klezmer festival in august. best festival ever, hands down. don't miss it. you camp on the hill which the town is built around and party hardcore for 3 days straight, the breslev(orthodox) are some crazy fuckers when drunk
b) i worked for these folks, the arzunis in the tiny negev settlement of ezuz and lived in an old horse carrier traincar they had hauled out, good times in the desert
c) hit up jordan and really do some exploring of their parks/etc, "mujip" is tight

d)yes, avoid eilat by any means!

lehiem!

D

dirty_feet

Ahhh!! thank you - thank you!!!! I looked up the klezmer fest - it looks amazing! I think I will definitely extend my ticket for that and do some exploring on my own after the group thing and wind down (or up) with some klezmer for sure - maybe check my fiddle and bring it along. Thank you very much for that - I am inspired once again to go!!! It all seems so far away...

I've read all about the birthright trips - they give you a credit card that you can put your own money on and as far as the cash - I was under the impression it was the 250$ dollar refund - but not until AFTER the trip was over but you can still use the card to put your own money on it...yeah?

Has anyone on here been on a birthright trip? Stove - I read yours about Gadna years ago. I am not a matrilineal Jew - my father was Jewish so I'm getting on as a apart of his name - due to my age I get precedence over other applicants because my time is almost up (I'll be 26 in October) - I asked a recruiter specifically what constitutes qualification other than just my last name and they said it would be addressed when I registered - but I can't register until next year due to other priorities right now. Do any of you know how they filter one applicant from another?

I'll probably spend a month in Israel and was then planning on heading to India after that for some backpacking in the Annapurna Range. Once you're across the pond - you might as well spend some time before coming back.

stove

Reaction score
I don't know exactly, but I know that the process is VERY subjective. When I was at University, I was asked about Birthright, and told the recruiter (not really a friend) that I had already attended a similar program with partial funding from Birthright. I was told not to worry, that they didn't really need to check up on that. Basically, they want to stop people from freeloading on the program. I can ask a few friends whom are active in Hillel if there are any specific selection criteria, but basically they just want to see that you are "geniunely" interested in Israel and Judiasm. Fortunately, this is pretty easy, as the majority of reform jews in the US don't speak a word of Hebrew, and couldn't read or recite even the Sabbath candle blessing without a direct transliteration (Sorry for harping, but that's been my experience).

The tattoo's shouldn't be a problem with the selection process (The recruiters are not allowed to be judgemental), but they may cause a bit of animosity/curiousity in Israel: Tat's are, after all, banned in Judiasm. I wouldn't worry, you've got this in the bag.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
I probably don't need to say this, but stay away from political demonstrations, a friends partner got shot in the head last month...

D

dirty_feet

oh god - Finn - I'm so sorry to hear that.

Stove - thanks - I think I have a handle on it - thanks for the support! I have been in close touch with a friend of mine, a rabbi who has been such an inspiration and joy to know! The politics of this trip are pretty thick - but I am genuinely interested in having the experience - I just want to do it honorably. I plan to do some extensive traveling abroad in the next few years so this will be my first experience in a foreign country and since it's such a sort of scripted one because of being in a big group and such - I feel it's a good launching pad for individual/small trips in the future. I'll be applying in the fall for a spring/summer trip.

stove

Reaction score
I plan to do some extensive traveling abroad in the next few years so this will be my first experience in a foreign country and since it's such a sort of scripted one because of being in a big group and such - I feel it's a good launching pad for individual/small trips in the future. I'll be applying in the fall for a spring/summer trip.

Man, Israel is going to be your first trip abroad? Enjoy! Try to hit up as many of the small markets are you can to learn a bit of Hebrew; Most people will speak English, but it's fun to know even a small part of another language. I'm also planning on heading abroad maybe after Tday this year, over to Thailand/Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam etc. Maybe we can meet up on the road in India somewhere...

Good luck, A rabbi's (almost) always a great resource. My old congregational reb being the exception...

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads