Video How worn are your boots?

OutsideYourWorld

Reaction score
Website
outsideyourworld.wordpress.com
So I love boots. Love 'em to bits. Haven't worn anything but boots for over a decade now ('cept when I take the dog around the block or something). I have so many pairs, but I only wore one for the two years I was hitching around Europe. I decided to make a vid just to show how impressively done they are. At least, I think it's quite impressive. I've never driven a pair of boots to these lengths before:

sucuri

Reaction score
Website
www.HitchTheWorld.com
I wore boots for a long time, but as soon as I decided to spend time on the equator I had to do away with them. Too much sweat, horrible foot odor. Feet look like prunes at the end of the day. Boots are too hot for this climate. I've been wearing flip flops for three years. Plenty of wear and tear, but they sure do make your feet leather-tough! We've mastered the art of hiking up mountians in flip flops ;)

29624_10152285662150517_1626866272_n.jpg

10353184_10154448844775517_5286554126501352894_n.jpg

Reactions: Odin

Art101

Reaction score
I have a pair of redwing boots that actually have some silicon on then to seal a cut that was leaking. I love those boots.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I think I've seen a DIY flip flop on this site before or somewhere... made outa old tires or so. 15 min... can't find it... maybe I just imagined it.. shrugs.

DoctorApocalypse

Your friendly neighborhood supervillain
Reaction score
Currently I've got a pair of Wesco firestormers with fire retardant leather uppers and soles (they're the boots forest fire fighters wear), they're quite possibly the best boots I've ever owned and they've never let me down, pretty comfy too tho they can get kinda hot in the summer. After almost 4 years of pretty much daily wear, they're still goin strong.

photo (4).JPG

Reactions: sucuri and Odin

sucuri

Reaction score
Website
www.HitchTheWorld.com
I think I've seen a DIY flip flop on this site before or somewhere... made outa old tires or so. 15 min... can't find it... maybe I just imagined it.. shrugs.

we used to make 'em outta cardboard and duct tape when we were kids. It's not hard to do.

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
Well, now I do know why people are wearing boots ...
My shoes before my 2 weeks (!) in UK/Ireland:
4433-1413132783-c704075e1ae6ef5eb34f7944fc4bea7d.png

And now:
4432-1413132782-31dfc8ca0557116cd620ac600df1e6a2.png

Okay, I was on my feet every day for many hours (only took public transportation between cities despite two times I used the underground in London), but I didn't expect my shoes to deteriorate so quickly. I didn't expect the blisters I got neither.

So, for the next few trips they have to do (cause my new Converse Chucks gave me blisters after one day) but as soon as I have some money to spend, I'll get good walking shoes/boots ...

Section 8

Reaction score
Had a buddy kicked me down a pair of Danner's USMC RAT boots, made in Portland. Badass boot,goretex, polyurethane enforced heel n toe, tough ass leather, waterproof, takes awhile to get em broke in though, been wearing mine for goin on 3 years, there close to $350.00 new, but I just bought a back up pair off ebay that was like new for 50 bucks off a base. And Danner offers to rebuild em for a fee.

Reaction score
Doc Martens. They're fucking fantastic, and stylish! Had mine for about 2 years and other than a few scratches and scuffs in the leather and the soles starting to wear smooth they're still going strong. No holes or tears or anything. I spent a whole weeks paycheck on them about $120 I think give or take.

Reactions: buffalobill

daveycrockett

Reaction score
i could never wear boots travelling..mostly because i was sleeping in my shoes if i did sleep at all...funky ass shit...i still stick with chucks to this day...

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I picked up a black pair of redwings today... (haven't had new boots in a couple years) taking advantage of a voucher deal with my current gig...
Plan to gently break em in for travel not work haha....::eyepatch::

I used to do bellevile before... but I had noticed that they have stopped using stitching where the sole meets the leather on a lot of they're models.
So thought I would give redwings a chance since I have never had them. Though I wonder a bit since they are made in china nowadays as I jst found out. meh... either way it was a relatively cheap score with the kickback. so we will see.
04416_IS?$Safety_Footwear_Zoom$&align=0,.75.jpg

330_ST_detail.png

I have to say though.... boyofmetal... you may have the best boots in the friggin 'verse there... I checked but those go upwards of what 400 bucks? damn but they are tough looking... how tall are those?

OutsideYourWorld

Reaction score
Website
outsideyourworld.wordpress.com
Hey Odin, I think their 877 line, along with a few other of their "traditional" boots are still USA made. I think for once i'll buy either American or European made boots... A bit tired of made-in-Asia crap. You can get a pair of 877's for about $150 or cheaper NEW on ebay.

Boyofmetal, lovely boots, but they look like death for long distance walking.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hey Odin, I think their 877 line, along with a few other of their "traditional" boots are still USA made. I think for once i'll buy either American or European made boots... A bit tired of made-in-Asia crap. You can get a pair of 877's for about $150 or cheaper NEW on ebay.

Yea... I don't think the 877 are my type ... I prefer a darker leather or black leather... and I pretty much don't go with a boot that does not have a steel toe. meh... I guess with my one enlistment I just took to steel toe boots.

These logger 4416's feel good... despite the made in china blemish. i think the will do well... might not last me ten years like i hear redwings used to be... but they aren't bad...and like I said I'm getting a kickback on HR... I don't think I'm out more than 75 greenback for them.

DoctorApocalypse

Your friendly neighborhood supervillain
Reaction score
I have to say though.... boyofmetal... you may have the best boots in the friggin 'verse there... I checked but those go upwards of what 400 bucks? damn but they are tough looking... how tall are those?
Before these boots I went thru rangers, docs, various hiking, and a few other kinds of boots that weren't exactly cheap but only lasted a year or two max. I got tired of having to keep getting new boots so I saved up and got a pair everyone said would last, and so far they're right. So having to spend $400ish on a pair of boots that will last me a decade vs a couple hundred on boots that will last a year or two is totally worth it to me. As for height, they're 14".

After they got broken in I've had zero problem walking long distances in em, my feet never hurt or get tired after a long day, and the only problem I've really got is they can be a bit warm on hot days.

Reactions: Odin

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads