How to get around backpack stigma | Squat the Planet

How to get around backpack stigma

hartage

Reaction score
I walked to an RV park with my backpack and asked how much the showers were. I was told they don't serve walk-ups, that I needed a vehicle for service there. My backpack was new, my clothes were "normal" and clean. Yet all they saw was that backpack. Anything else I could have done to avoid this kind of stigma ? This was in Yreka by the way.

wartomods

Reaction score
two ways, or you store your backpack for a while and do stuff or you dont ask for the showers you just walk into the showers.

Reactions: Mankini
M

Mouse

maybe it wasnt the pack but rather that they SAW you just walk in?

some places keep a tight ship. just because it's a camp ground doesn't mean people aren't paying attention. they are in the business of making money and giving people a nice lil family friendly place to park their RVs and pretend to camp. they may even have cameras around.

in that type of situation, it's best to walk up unfettered, and just strut in and find the showers and get to it. hopefully you'll be done by the time they catch on or they wont pay attention because you're acting like you belong there.

hartage

Reaction score
Yeah, thanks for all the great suggestions everyone. It just isn't right that it's this way these days. Sad part is I did have a car. It was just 45 miles away at the ranch while I hitched a ride into town with someone else from the ranch.

That's a great idea about calling ahead and asking for a work trade........ gotta try that. Walking in like I belong there is good too. You guys rock !

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
How did she know you weren't a camper? If you had found a back way in, you could have stashed your pack, and just said, "hey, do you have a map of the grounds so I can find the water pumps, washrooms and showers? i've never been here before. Or better yet, politely ask some other campers, who would assume you were camping there.

I

IBRRHOBO

not trying to be rude here, but i have never heard of paying for a shower. i mean there's a million places to shower: mission, river, hell we used a car wash in austin, gas station...if you're having to pay for a shower you need to reevaluate your vocation of being on the road.

oh, i'm sure there are some folks who've done it in a hotel, but to walk up to an rv park and offer money for free water? hell, the eel river is there isn't it?

ach, i do wish you the best though.

hartage

Reaction score
not trying to be rude here, but i have never heard of paying for a shower. i mean there's a million places to shower: mission, river, hell we used a car wash in austin, gas station...if you're having to pay for a shower you need to reevaluate your vocation of being on the road.

oh, i'm sure there are some folks who've done it in a hotel, but to walk up to an rv park and offer money for free water? hell, the eel river is there isn't it?

I'm a noob to the whole traveling thing. Having some life issues due to a head-on collision and traveling caught my eye as something I'd like to do. So here I am learning how to go about it. Besides, Yreka is a really small town. That rv park was the only place in town I was told, for showers. Haven't traveled yet but figure I can learn enough by the time I heal up.

wartomods

Reaction score
Yeah hotels are amazing, but that generally only works in cities or locations that have many hotels and have a big tourism culture (eg: mediterranean coast). If no one bothers you, wich is likely if there are many tourists, its generally easy to find what you want.

I

IBRRHOBO

I'm a noob to the whole traveling thing. Having some life issues due to a head-on collision and traveling caught my eye as something I'd like to do. So here I am learning how to go about it. Besides, Yreka is a really small town. That rv park was the only place in town I was told, for showers. Haven't traveled yet but figure I can learn enough by the time I heal up.

yeah, don't take the comment like i was putting u down...don't mean that at all. more of a future reference...you'll find that there are FAR many things to spend the ol cashola on than showers. pm me if u need info nationwide (i presume ur in the US) for anything free ranging from showers, food and clothing to gas and tires. we maintain a pretty good directory on my site from a hijacked I&R manual from United Way.

drunken marauder

Reaction score
Showers??? Hell just wait till you smell bad enough some will offer you one and normally a place to sleep.. College girls always seem to love to go slummin and want to give a dirty kid a bath... And stigma hmmm I guess if they want to judge me I am prolly judging them too... And I am normally louder than they are at that point..

hartage

Reaction score
yeah, don't take the comment like i was putting u down...don't mean that at all. more of a future reference...you'll find that there are FAR many things to spend the ol cashola on than showers. pm me if u need info nationwide (i presume ur in the US) for anything free ranging from showers, food and clothing to gas and tires. we maintain a pretty good directory on my site from a hijacked I&R manual from United Way.

Heck ya that list would rock ! What's the url to yer website ? I'm just learnin from my travelin friends. One suggested get this, those anti-microbial outdoor stuff. He swears by them. Says he can go two months no showers, no laundry and still not stink. He uses noalcohol no scent wipes to clean up with esp feet and he's good to go. Not cheap though something like $80 for shirts (anti microbial) though he gets it at REI used/returns sale for cheap. He said if they get stiff he just takes it off whacks it against a tree to get rid of the dust and crud and still no stink. He swears by anti microbial sandals too says even if they stink put them on the roof of your car in the sun for a bit and the stink goes away. Haven't tried it, want to but those clothes are hella expensive rei stuff.

hartage

Reaction score
Showers??? Hell just wait till you smell bad enough some will offer you one and normally a place to sleep.. College girls always seem to love to go slummin and want to give a dirty kid a bath... And stigma hmmm I guess if they want to judge me I am prolly judging them too... And I am normally louder than they are at that point..

You got some balls man. I'm more the quiet easy going type. Getting loud isn't my thing.

M

Mouse

Heck ya that list would rock ! What's the url to yer website ? I'm just learnin from my travelin friends. One suggested get this, those anti-microbial outdoor stuff. He swears by them. Says he can go two months no showers, no laundry and still not stink. He uses noalcohol no scent wipes to clean up with esp feet and he's good to go. Not cheap though something like $80 for shirts (anti microbial) though he gets it at REI used/returns sale for cheap. He said if they get stiff he just takes it off whacks it against a tree to get rid of the dust and crud and still no stink. He swears by anti microbial sandals too says even if they stink put them on the roof of your car in the sun for a bit and the stink goes away. Haven't tried it, want to but those clothes are hella expensive rei stuff.

my brother does lawncare for a living and he uses clothes like that and swears by them as well.

I forget the brand he uses but aparently they also provide UV protection and wick away sweat so you stay dry 90% of the time? sounds liek magic lol

drunken marauder

Reaction score
You got some balls man. I'm more the quiet easy going type. Getting loud isn't my thing.

It works to a piont.. I mean for years I walked around on invisible mode.. I duno it has a time and place.... But I mean........ Its way more fun to be obnoxious and if they are talking or yelling for that matter 90% they are harmless..

Dirty Rig

Reaction score

I hear what you're saying, and for the most part, I agree. But at the same time, there are plenty of occasions where I've been so smelly, so grimy, so itchy and sweaty that I did not mind paying the $3 for a shower at a TA if it's the closest and most easily available bath.

Heck, the last truck stop I was at, I reeked so bad, the attendee BOUGHT me a shower.

katiehabits

Reaction score
Website
kthabits.tumblr.com
the only time i've ever payed for a shower was at a marina on lopez island when i was a kid. i'd never even seen a pay shower before that and the only ones i've seen sence have been in truck stops. in canada pay showers are pretty uncommon. and if you happen into a truck stop smelling like a sack of sweaty assholes one of the trucks will usually offer you one if you make small talk. but ya like IBRRHOBO said there's a million different ways to get free showers you don't need to pay for them. and if you've a seasonal traveler rivers are warm in the summer so just carry a bar of soap around with you. good luck man and safe travels!

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
Best way to avoid backpack stigma... get off the west coast.
Just kidding. There is no way to avoid backpack stigma, you can only have fun with it.
This thread reminds me of a funny story though. Last winter in some bum fuck town in oklahoma the cops actually let us shower in the station, fed us and then kicked us down $5, all just because we asked if there was a shelter so we could go take showers to try to make hitching go quicker (they didn't even joke about arresting us!). Thats oklahoma for you I guess, mad money, mad free food and hotels, but no one will give you a fucking ride.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads