Homeless in Canada for the winter | Squat the Planet

Homeless in Canada for the winter

st1tch

Reaction score
What's everyone's favorite city to stay in for our cold Canadian winters?

farmer john

Reaction score
my favorite one is windsor because its right next to ... detroit!!!

farmer john

Reaction score
motown=hometown :)

katiehabits

Reaction score
Website
kthabits.tumblr.com
victoria bc
its my hometown and its legal to sleep outside from 7pm to 7am. also its on the coast so it rains alot but its not your normal cold canadian winter. it snows there for maybe a week every winter. theres a youth shelter that opens up in november that is sort of weird and nice. it changes site every night and they allow dogs at most of the sites. so if yer hungry and cold you allmost allways have a place to go if you need it. the food not bombs there was really good for years but i dont know what its like anymore. lots of cool kids but the cops are d-bags. you can get a ticket for haveing your backpack on the ground there and it they feel like it they just steal yer pack. but theres lots of nice little spots to hide out and sleep. i love victoria for those reasons but hate it for others. its not bad though ALOT better than vancouver.

M

mittens

yeah dude. Victoria's the nicest Canadian City to spend a winter. If thats where you're headed, look for a soup kitchen downtown called 'our place society'. they open at about 9am. they have lots of coffee, a meal, computers, showers, lockers, and even a mailing address.

Garrnutz

Reaction score
7am wake up makes alot of cranky homebums hahhahah, you get really fat in victoria to, so much homebum food. but its like a retirement home so the amount of cop callers is crazy sneeze really loud and cops will be there to cheack the dogs tags and tell you to wear your back pack at all times.

exstinksean

Reaction score
iv NEVER heard anyone refer to windsor as their favorite city,for anything...
im grew up here,and have been back for a year
cant wait to leave!

farmer john

Reaction score
swim swim swim my dear friend!!!

not really lol

theres a good chance you could ride into the states up near port huron toronto tho if you wanted i know its rather lax going your way

Nelco

Reaction score
Tennessee, chattanooga...someone will let you crash their house and there's always a thick bush to hide in...and burn stuff, without much of a chance of getting caught..and everyone watches t.v. so much, you can crawl under their house and most likely they won't notice your there..at least i've never been caught and it's warm..and there's still random caves around.

Onemanbandit

Reaction score
I spent last winter and the whole summer and fall and beginning of this winter Victoria, super warm all year round. Ridiculous amounts of food, lots of cool people. Free camping in the parks, tons of shelters and so much homebum food. I'd reccomend taking a bus to sydney to spange/busk or fly a sign. I make like 5X as much in sydney and it's a local bus.

st1tch

Reaction score
toronto, i was in montreal and i'm probably going back near the end of the month, just meeting up with a friend who's coming from victoria ironically enough.

Mark Dylan

Reaction score
Id have to say Vancouver, or Victoria..Im in Fredericton NB now..busking, trying to plot my way back west again....been here a week..squatting has been decent, but not tonnes of squat places..Busking is really good, and found at least two open mics...making enough to live on...Ive been ion road for two years, strictly Canada

anybody have experience in any of the Maritime cities?

EJ1312

Teleporter - Apprentice time traveller
Reaction score
victoria bc
its my hometown and its legal to sleep outside from 7pm to 7am. also its on the coast so it rains alot but its not your normal cold canadian winter. it snows there for maybe a week every winter. theres a youth shelter that opens up in november that is sort of weird and nice. it changes site every night and they allow dogs at most of the sites. so if yer hungry and cold you allmost allways have a place to go if you need it. the food not bombs there was really good for years but i dont know what its like anymore. lots of cool kids but the cops are d-bags. you can get a ticket for haveing your backpack on the ground there and it they feel like it they just steal yer pack. but theres lots of nice little spots to hide out and sleep. i love victoria for those reasons but hate it for others. its not bad though ALOT better than vancouver.

D

Deleted member 25988

Victoria
What's everyone's favorite city to stay in for our cold Canadian winters?
Victoria BC! It's by far the city with the most services. You can eat for free, sleep for free, clothing depots and all of that. Make a little scratch on the side dishwashing or doing construction, save it all and go back out for another amazing summer. Plus it doesn't get too cold!

Section8

Reaction score
Sounds like Victoria, BC is the place to be. Is this still the case, tho? Anyone know?

Edit: someone on discord said Victoria isn't the place to be anymore. Lower mainland BC, Penticton is better

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads