Hitchhiking info for southern california | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Hitchhiking info for southern california

N

NickCofphee

traveling from the SFV/LA area to slab city. any suggestions?
fastest way there? border patrol checkpoints?
no id's, were hitchhiking/bus.

You don't need to worry about border patrol checkpoints. There is a INS inspection 10 miles west of Slab City, but they don't usually inspect and if they do, you don't need ato show an ID. They'll just look at you and ask you were you were born. (are you an immigrant?)

It's been awhile since I made this thread. Definitely the fastest way to bus/hitch to Slab City from where you are is this:

1.) Take the Metro Orange Line to Hollywood. (last stop) $1.25
2.) Take the Red Line to Union Station. (last stop) $1.25

A note on these is that you don't really need to pay. The red line sometimes checks tickets, but you can often find them on the ground or in trash cans that aren't expired. Or ask people coming out of the subway.

3.) Take the metrolink from Union Station to San Bernardino. $8 on weekends. I would just get a ticket for 3 or 4 stops up. They don' usually check past this.

4.) Take the Omnitrans line 1 towards "Del Rosa" get off about 2 miles from here at the San Bernardino transit center. This bus is free with your metrolink ticket.

5.) From the transit center, take either the omnitrans line 8 or 9. Get off on Yucaipa Blvd. in Yucaipa.

6.) Walk to I-10. It's about a half mile or so.

7.) Start hitching! A sign for Indio is best. It's about 60 miles from here. This is a good onramp. The advice i gave in my tutorial about hitching to Hemet and up hwy 74 is crap. That takes sooo much longer than this.

8.) get off in Indio at "Golf Center Parkway" Make a right. See if your ride can give you a lift to the bus stop on hwy 111/flower. It's about a mile from I-10. (turn right on 111 and it's right there. "Sun Bus" building.)

9.) Take the line 91 bus to 4th St in Mecca. Ask the bus driver. The bus is $1.

10.) there's a gas station here, accepts food stamps has groceries. Fill up on water, make a sign for Niland and start hitching down 111. It's roughly 40 miles to Slab City from here.

If you start early in the morning, with luck you'll be in Slab City about late afternoon. Trip will be about $10 for buses. Maybe a little less, maybe a little more.

Good Luck!

NBDDreamer

On the move
Reaction score
How about Los Angeles to Santa Barbara without popping for a Surfliner ticket? I've been able to get to the Highways 33/101 junction in North Ventura, but no farther. That gap between Ventura and Santa Barbara is killing me.

jr386006

Reaction score
Hey,
I'm trying to get up to SLC from Huntington Beach. I can probably get a friend to drive me up to I-15 at some point but is there anything I should know or look out for? Any help is appreciated

MrD

Internet SuperHero
Reaction score
Website
www.sometimesmotion.com
How about Los Angeles to Santa Barbara without popping for a Surfliner ticket? I've been able to get to the Highways 33/101 junction in North Ventura, but no farther. That gap between Ventura and Santa Barbara is killing me.

Damn!! I am way late on this one, wish I could have seen this before to help.
So just FYI, you can take a bus from downtown ventura(33/101 JCT.) right to Santa Barbra for only $2.50.
Hope this totally late info can help in some way or another

r3353

Reaction score
This all sounds like great info!! Has anyone entered it on Hitchwiki.org?

N

NickCofphee

riverside downtown area to slab city?

Take the omnitrans 215 bus to DT San Bernardino, take the 8 or 9 bus to Yucaipa, at Yucaipa Blvd I-10 exit. (get off when the bus turns on Yucaipa Blvd, its a mile walk to I-10) Hitch there, good ramp. Get off in Indio at Golf Center Pkway exit. Take a sunbus, #91, to Mecca @111. Hitch from there, it's about 40 miles to Slab City I think. You can do this in a day if you start early. Total bus cost: $4.

catingeorgia

Reaction score
nowhere bitch...that one is for you moo moo
yo nick...im hitchiking from cincinnati to la and im trying to figure the best route. route number one goes I-70 W to 15 SW in utah all of the way to so cal. route number two goes west on I-40 to 15 in cali. im looking for information on the main interstates of the routes. i heard interstate 40 sucks when hitchiking but ive heard nothing about I-70. i google mapped it and it showed the shorter route being I-40 but only by an hour so id rather travel the safer way. got any tips? i couldnt find anything on stp's search engine.
-thanks

Linda/Ziggy

Reaction score
Hey folks !
Great info & advice but.............
It would be REALLLLLLY helpful if people could give
better details about what #bus/bus companies - how regular ? All day, once a day etc.

Example my last hitch to LA going in from Santa Lois Obispo, I got stuck
outside Pismo beach, got stuck so got last street bus to next town,
got stuck there so had to give in and get Greyhound at 3:30am...........
If I had KNOWN there were any other street bus options I woulda taken them.
Just a thought.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads