Hitchhiking info for southern california

N

NickCofphee

Southern California isn't the greatest place in the world to hitch, but definitely not the worst. I've hitched all around here. For fun, and for neccesity. Every last weekend for over a month I've visited friends all over LA and Orange County.

If you are out there and want advice on the best routes, what highways and cities you can and can't hitch, bus info, metro rail info, etc. I'm your guy.

Did you know you can bus from San Diego to Santa Barbara for about 10 bucks?

I'll do my best to answer questions and give tips, esp around Palm Springs-Coachella Valley area, LA, Orange County...fastest ways to get North and East.

Reactions: bagavond
N

NickCofphee

A little tired tonight, but I'll give some general info:

In Los Angeles, and the greater area which would be Long Beach, Pasadena, Hollywood, San Fernando Valley, the subway system is great! It's called the "metro rail". Unlike San Francisco, you pay the same price for all distances on the same line. All lines are interconnected and there's only about 5, so its simple. It's $1.25. Or free... do so at your own risk, my brother got a ticket once, though I've ridden dozens of times for free. (there's no bars, they just sometimes ask for your ticket stub randomly. But it seems only when it's very slow. When busy, this is quite rare) So...

To get out of the LA area and head north by thumb, there's three ways. Don't bother hitching out of the city limits, you'll fail miserably:

101 freeway- get on the orange line, take to the end of the line at "Warner Center", then take the #161 metro bus to Thousand oaks transit center. Drops you off at a very decent onramp.

Highway 1- Oh such a pretty ride! Especially north of San Luis Obispo. Get to the #534 bus and head towards Malibu. Pretty soon you'll see where you can start hitching. Take it to the end of the line if you'd like and start walking right on the one, its pedestrian friendly. Good to fly a sign for Oxnard. You can switch to the 101 from there if you so please.

If you hitch I-5 from LA, take a local bus to Valencia and go from there.

Santa Clarita Transit Line 794
-Leaves Union Station, Downtown LA Mon-Fri (only)
-Morning only: 6:50am--7:15am--8:00am--9:00am
-$4.00
-Take it to the end of the line, 1-5's right there

Make a sign for Bakersfield, take 99 if they're going that way, just as good for hitching.

That's north, I'll write more tomorrow!

N

NickCofphee

HEADING EAST FROM LA:

Like mentioned above, take a bus to riverside. I don't think there is one anymore from LA. You have to go to Orange County. To the city of Orange specifically. OC is just south of LA county. Take the blue line to Long Beach, then the OCTA bus #50 to "The Village at Orange", then transfer again to RTA bus #149. Take it to "The galleria at Tyler", which is in Riverside. You can hitch the 91 east onramp, usually getting a ride through Riverside, and to 1-10. By now, you've spent a few hours on buses and about $4. Sucks, but its really the only way out of LA east.

If you have a lot of time on your hands, and $5, you can keep taking buses. Transfer at the Galleria to RTA line #27. Take this all the way to the end of the line, in Hemet at "Florida/Lincoln". Hitch highway 74. You can just start walking, maybe a half mile or so you can begin hitching. One of my favorite hikes, goes through the mountains and into Idywild, then Palm Desert. I figured this way out by accident once, trying to hitch to San Francisco from where I live (near Palm Desert)....if you're still heading east, take the 111 sunline bus east to indio, last stop about 45 minutes. There's a few decent onramps in Indio, maybe 20 minute walks. And a train yard, which doesn't get much traffic stopping there unfortunatly.

If you're in Palm Springs, Indio, Coachella Valley area and want to get to LA, Orange County, or west Colton :) , take the 111 bus WEST to palm Springs, last stop. Start walking with a sign to LA. After a mile or so it gets pretty good for hitching. I always take this way to head ANYWHERE. If you're lucky, you'll get a ride through LA if thats your direction. Umm, it gets really really windy sometimes just to warn you. And hot as all shit in the summer. Like 115-120 on a bad day in July. I love it though.

There's a lot of other things I could say about SoCal. Buses connect from San Digeo, to NCTA (north san diego county bus), to OCTA (orange County bus) to metro (LA), then there's transfers to oxnard, ventura, santa barbara. But you might as well hitch, it gets easy at this point once north of there. Still kinda cool that buses run so damn far, like 250 miles just on locals.

TRAINS: As in freight. I've only hopped once (Fresno to W Colton) I do know that west colton is a major yard to very far north (Portland) and very far east (Florida). LA has some yards too, ask around.

maus

Reaction score
wow. my partner and i could really have used this info. a couple times, in fact. altho things mostly went better when i was by myself.

N

NickCofphee

Never done it before. But I'd suggest getting to Long Beach, probably by taking the metro-rail "Blue Line" and getting off at 5th st. station (I think). Walk to 7th st. and take a long beach bus (only 90 cents) to the VA hospital. Transfer to OCTA Line 1 towards San Clemente. Take it all the way. Its 2 hours but a pretty ride through Orange County right on the Pacific Ocean. It drops you off in San Diego county right at I-5. Good onramp here. Make a sign for san Diego.

This will take a few hours to get there, about 3 but only cost $3.40 or $2.15 if you skip the metro rail fee and just ride it, shouldnt have a problem, I never have.

Bring a good book!

mylon

Lawn Care Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey, assuming that your san diego-santa barbara route works vice versa, could you tell me how to get from santa barbara to san diego? thanks!!

CdCase123

Reaction score
Never done it before. But I'd suggest getting to Long Beach, probably by taking the metro-rail "Blue Line" and getting off at 5th st. station (I think). Walk to 7th st. and take a long beach bus (only 90 cents) to the VA hospital. Transfer to OCTA Line 1 towards San Clemente. Take it all the way. Its 2 hours but a pretty ride through Orange County right on the Pacific Ocean. It drops you off in San Diego county right at I-5. Good onramp here. Make a sign for san Diego.

This will take a few hours to get there, about 3 but only cost $3.40 or $2.15 if you skip the metro rail fee and just ride it, shouldnt have a problem, I never have.

Bring a good book!

from the end of the line, you walk back a couple hundred feet and catch the bus there (i forgot the name) only costs a couple bucks, but sometimes the bus drivers from both companies have an agreement and let people slide without paying? happened to me. take that to oceanside, from there take 101 bus to la jolla for another dollar something. from san clemente to oceanside, the bus goes through an army base. that "requires" ID, but i didnt have any, they still waved us through.

CdCase123

Reaction score
Hitching east from San Diego: From La Jolla, mentioned above, take the number 30 something bus from UCSD campus for 2 something dollars to old town san diego. from there take the green line (dont bother paying) to el cajon transit center. from there take the 864 Alpine/Viejas Reservation bus for another 2 something dahrra. get off at tavern road. good on ramp there.

N

NickCofphee

Hitching east from San Diego: From La Jolla, mentioned above, take the number 30 something bus from UCSD campus for 2 something dollars to old town san diego. from there take the green line (dont bother paying) to el cajon transit center. from there take the 864 Alpine/Viejas Reservation bus for another 2 something dahrra. get off at tavern road. good on ramp there.

Nice! Thanks for the additional info man. That's I-8 you're talking about?

Dameon

Reaction score
I took the I-8 route from San Diego to get to Phoenix. For the hell of it, I decided to walk the 15 miles from the Viejas reservation on-ramp to the next city down the interstate, Pine Valley. Because there weren't really any non-freeway roads going there, I decided to be extra crazy and walk along the interstate. I even got away with it; a highway patrolman stopped about half-way and told me I couldn't walk along the interstate. I told him I understood, and would get off at the next off-ramp, and he went his way. I kept going 'till Pine Valley anyway, and slept there, then caught a ride from a guy in a VW van the next day.

The funny thing about walking was that, at many points, I got away from the interstate and out into the wilderness, where I began seeing empty water bottles, wool blankets, and empty school backpacks abandoned EVERYWHERE. After about 30 minutes of encountering piles of these and wondering what the hell was up, I realized "Oh! It's the Mexicans coming across and leaving all this!"

I-8 doesn't have much traffic that I saw, and the on-ramp at Viejas was pretty bleak when I was there. Those trying to get east might have better luck going up to LA and taking I-10 east instead. If you want to do the Viejas thing, get off the bus at Alpine, and just walk along the road a bit, and you'll come to the on-ramp. If you get off at the end of the line, you'll just have to backtrack.

stove

Reaction score
I'm heading down from SLC to Campo, CA to start the PCT later this spring...It looks relatively straightforward to get down to Riverside, and from the sounds of it, the bus is a viable option (I've got some cash available). Just wondering, how's the hitching AWAY from LA? I'm thinking of taking a few detours, but how's the population down there? Is it total desert, or should I be fine with normal waits?

Thanks...

CdCase123

Reaction score
I took the I-8 route from San Diego to get to Phoenix. For the hell of it, I decided to walk the 15 miles from the Viejas reservation on-ramp to the next city down the interstate, Pine Valley. Because there weren't really any non-freeway roads going there, I decided to be extra crazy and walk along the interstate. I even got away with it; a highway patrolman stopped about half-way and told me I couldn't walk along the interstate. I told him I understood, and would get off at the next off-ramp, and he went his way. I kept going 'till Pine Valley anyway, and slept there, then caught a ride from a guy in a VW van the next day.

The funny thing about walking was that, at many points, I got away from the interstate and out into the wilderness, where I began seeing empty water bottles, wool blankets, and empty school backpacks abandoned EVERYWHERE. After about 30 minutes of encountering piles of these and wondering what the hell was up, I realized "Oh! It's the Mexicans coming across and leaving all this!"

I-8 doesn't have much traffic that I saw, and the on-ramp at Viejas was pretty bleak when I was there. Those trying to get east might have better luck going up to LA and taking I-10 east instead. If you want to do the Viejas thing, get off the bus at Alpine, and just walk along the road a bit, and you'll come to the on-ramp. If you get off at the end of the line, you'll just have to backtrack.

i wasnt reffering to viejas, i was referring to an on ramp in alpine.

N

NickCofphee

I'm heading down from SLC to Campo, CA to start the PCT later this spring...It looks relatively straightforward to get down to Riverside, and from the sounds of it, the bus is a viable option (I've got some cash available). Just wondering, how's the hitching AWAY from LA? I'm thinking of taking a few detours, but how's the population down there? Is it total desert, or should I be fine with normal waits?

Thanks...

Towards where? I wouldn't bother hitching anywhere in LA city limits. If you're headed any direction really, I'd reccomend taking a bus or two to get out of the densly populated areas and shitty hitching onramps.

If you're headed east out of DT LA, head towards the pomona or montclair transit center, then east on the omnitrans bus system..and east to yucaipa. Get off on Yucaipa Blvd and theres a great onramp there with a good tree in case you don't get a ride, and store nearby. Make a sign for Palm Springs, then Phoenix.

Dmac

Reaction score
hey nick, thought you were headed to new zeland? or was i just stoned?

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Towards where? I wouldn't bother hitching anywhere in LA city limits. If you're headed any direction really, I'd reccomend taking a bus or two to get out of the densly populated areas and shitty hitching onramps.

If you're headed east out of DT LA, head towards the pomona or montclair transit center, then east on the omnitrans bus system..and east to yucaipa. Get off on Yucaipa Blvd and theres a great onramp there with a good tree in case you don't get a ride, and store nearby. Make a sign for Palm Springs, then Phoenix.

The SIlverstreak leaves from union station to Montclair, from there you can go to Yucaipa, or there is a bus out to San Bernadino/Colton. I was really happy to find this after following the CCG and taking the Amtrak Metro link, to get to Colton, which is 10$ and they DO check fares. I made it without paying, another group of kids right behind us weren't so lucky.
Oh, and heads up, if you end up in Banning (on i-10E) for any reason, get the hell out ASAP. I got cited for hitching there, and the police told me that there protocol was basically anyone with a sign or their thumb out, find a reason to arrest them. Luckily I wasn't carrying anything, and knew my rights, so I got off with a ticket.

moonbeam

Reaction score
traveling from the SFV/LA area to slab city. any suggestions?
fastest way there? border patrol checkpoints?
no id's, were hitchhiking/bus.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads