Hippie Hatred | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Hippie Hatred

Diagaro

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well shit while were on the topic your leaving out hipsters, yuppies, so called "charitable organizations", yacht clubs, dumpster diving business execs, hackers, niggers, carnies, illegal aliens (working in the USA) goths, short buses full of slobbering retards, the masons, the hells angels, David Copperfield, god, buddah, the KKK and other non affiliated anti seminist groups, ginger kids, the ironworkers guild, the peoples replubic of china W.o.W. guild, the Reagen administration, catholics, north american mosquitoes, flat tires, toothless bagladys, grapes, dominoes, overexertion, Pirates, Y2k, Potfarm on facebook and the alegation that nobody really ever walked on the moon.
In all
this-thread-is-dildos.jpg

Alaska

Reaction score
CXR nailed it, as well as RnJ.

And "I'm probably equal parts hippie, hipster and punk."

Ditto. I wear the uniform clothing of the "punk" (what can I say? I look good in all black and white), I have the spiritual implications of the "hippie" label (I also fucking love taking molly and watching drum-circles/fire poi), and I fucking love The Arcade Fire and The Parlor Suite. So good.

It's all just label bullshit. I understand the implications and relevancy of subculture, though. I just wish people would focus on more complex things about a person rather than if they have dozens of punk band patches on their jeans (needlessly or not), or if they wear a drug-rug. It really doesn't fucking matter.

FigTree

Reaction score
whatever you think diagaro, if it's such a useless thread why waste your time posting? i wanted other peoples thought on the topic so i asked.
personally, i live as a person and i interact with people, but other people will put their titles to me.
actually i don't really interact with people much, it's trees and the better animals for me.

Heron

not very crusty
Reaction score
Website
tracklabs.net
well labels are just labels, aren't they? the value people place in labels they create (or more likely just adopt) is pretty much imaginary, like most social constructs.

people are always going to hate on others, and cases like this are common, although to some people like you it's obvious that they should work together rather than divide themselves over bullshit. it's why labels suck in the first place; they rarely help and often harm. call yourself what you want but don't hate on others no matter what labels they or others put on them. judge people by their actions, etc. obvious shit.

Diagaro

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yea Its funny. When I was in high school It was "hes a rocker" or "hes a rapper" not that these individual's actually were in any way remotely involved in the production of said genera music - it was the away that they dressed, baggy jeans like roca wear and thick gold chains and wife beaters or torn jeans leather or jean coat and shitstomping boots it in fact had nothing to dowhit the musid they listin to.
Which reminds me RnJ last night you were asking me what kind of music I listen to in regards tho this fucking thread
I remember when juggalos came on the scene and how they used this labeling system and found a way to capitalize on it then twist it. Fucking labels. I call my self a Hobo often enough but even that is fucking ridiculous.

As for all the goddamn labels that there are today - as I outlined in my previous post there is no fucking need to obsess over this kind of shit.
Lets have Less alienating others and self masturbation and rather more showing people how there system is broken and full of shit and search for ways to exploit these things

Nelco

Reaction score
i personally could care less about status labeling..all that matters is that we're on the same team

Nelco

Reaction score
so many so called punks hate on what they perceive as hippies. can anyone actually explain why? yes, the initial 60's movement failed, as we all know due to overconsumption and in my opinion too focused on harming none. and lots of what you call hippies are pretty stupid and/or annoying people, but that doesn't mean that everyone that presents themself in a peace loving, happy rainbow way is a fucktard. to me, it seems like just another fucking trend within the punk scene, no better than this obsession with pabst i've been seeing around. the punk movement and the hippie movement have alot in common, they both just wanna help society fix itself and have a good time, i really don't understand it. maybe it came from people wanting to distance themselves from the negative connotations associated with the term, but how is spreading hatred, especially hatred based on pretty much nothing, a good thing? stop worrying what the cool kids think and come up with your own ideas, fuckheads. bitch bitch ramble ramble rant. the end.

you may appreciate these:
[video]http://youtu.be/Xa3Dp5AmKSM[/video]
[video]http://youtu.be/6THOOYHd_4Y[/video]
[video]http://youtu.be/D0W8HFDf_hg[/video]

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Diagarao, my only point was that labels are words, are descriptors which we can use as some beneficial (within limits) way of making a reference. They are RIDICULOUS when they seek to compartmentalize parts of our population as if there are groups and we need to stay in them. But frames of reference, and verbals ones too, necessitate basic mental categories of people and objects.

Basically, I wanted you to tell me what kind of music you liked, because it would be impossible for you to answer that without using categories, labels, and adjectives.

Diagaro

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You chose poorly. in context I will never answer that question straight and usually out of context unvexed the answer is simply "all of it" but that is fast catching on a s a type of specific person, the one who trendily listens to anything, funny huh?

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I've noticed I'm culpable of detracting several threads from their original topics as of late. I'd love to reply, but I gotta quit that. Look out for the "Constructive Communication or Destructive Demarcation?: Labels as Cognitive Frames of Reference," in about...let's see...2 years!

FigTree

Reaction score
dia, isn't trying so desperately not to fit anyone's expectations just as crippling as forcing yourself into them?

FigTree

Reaction score
nelco i've talked with people about the indigo children before, done a small bit of internet 'research', and of course heard maynard's song about us. but this first video is showing me just how right on a term it is for me. like all of it haha, thank you!

Linda/Ziggy

Reaction score
Hey all,
Interesting thread here.
We'll I am an old Punk and I mean old, as In been involved in the Punk community for
over 30 years, got my ass beat every fucking days back in the 80's for being Punk rock.

I love being part of the Punk community.
Bear in mind there are different communities, there is no
one size fits all..
I know great punks , I know shitty punks.
I know great hippies I know shitty hippies.
Same for crusties, scum fucks, normals, you name it.

I am on old punk and I garden , I meditate, I'm vegan/veggie,
mostly a pacifist, I go the Rainbow Gathering (so do alot of punks)
does that make me a hippie ??

FigTree

Reaction score
to some people. i'm not saying all socalled punks do, just that it's definitely present in the scene and i was wondering if anyone had any actual reasons.
p.s. youre awesome.

Linda/Ziggy

Reaction score
Actual reasons ??

I have thought about this alot over the years!

Back in the day ie 70's Punk,.
well it was a reaction against corporate stadium rock and wasted
sell out hippies.

But then again the Punk scene was (still is) different
in the US then it was say in the UK.
In the UK Punk got political, Anarchist and Punks and hippies joined forces,
CRASS and the whole Anarcho Punk thing, free festival, mass squatting thing.
Which you just din not have in the USA.

I've been involved in the Punk scene in the USA and the UK.
I would say the USA Punk scene was more self defeating, an example
I started going to Punk shows in LA in 1979, Then L.A & San Francisco in 1981.
The shows were VERY violent.
So I eventually became aware, politicized and
started calling myself an Anarcho-Peace Punk (which was the origins of 'Crusty).

I remember the first 'Peace, anti nuclear' etc protests the Punks started going on in LA
& SF - we were treated like SHIT, by some of these people !
In SF we were told to LEAVE a peace rally - because they didn't want people like us (Punks)there!
Even though we had peace signs on our leather jackets !!

Anyway I think there are alot of reasons.
I know very intolerant snobbish hippies who look down on Punks.
It's all one vicious circle.

But really the hippie hatred thing happened more in the US then the UK, etc.

Jimmy James

Reaction score
Throughout the labels that we wear in society's eyes, our individuality yet remains...As long as we choose to think 'outside of the box', keep an open mind and choose not to subscribe to the evils of cultural bias & imagery in regards to who we are...I too am an old 'punk', yet for a 'normal' member of society observing me, I'm sure there is some confusion in deciding how I would be labeled...Bias sucks, so does labeling.

Jimmy James

Reaction score
It was Skinhead violence that shut down the punk clubs up in the City...The club owners not only did not want to deal with the headache of it all; in addition to having their liability insurance for injury's to people and damages to property go through the roof...One by one the San Francisco punk clubs became bad techno (very early) disco's & Gay bars one after another untill the scene was pretty much trashed up there by the early mid 80's...

FigTree

Reaction score
that makes sense, elitists from both camps being twats against the whole perceived group. hating on the sellout fakes i dig, i do too, but how anyone could hate what i think of as a true hippie is beyond me, it's like hating daisies.

Myechtatel

Reaction score
Hippies and punks are all gigantic faggots who are too shallow to see themselves and one another as human beings. They need to dissociate themselves with labels and focus on being functional, operational, and respectable people.

agreed. labels never solved anything. trying to label and organize things around you is a sign that you're disorganized in the head.

theare

Reaction score
Perhaps it's just a sense of separation that's been instilled in our minds for so long and we've create separate labels and identities to try and identify with ourselves on a personal level. We have and create complexes/personalities and complicated ideas to identify with (our boredom in my honest opinion) our perceptions - all taking away from the ease of unity and happiness by making it complicated. This is kind of stating the obvious and this particular idea could be completely wrong but theres some 'hippie' bullshit for ya.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads