Hello! I'm Stewart.

A

Arapala

Hey, the names Stewart, i'm new here. Looks like a soild site here. Let me tell you about myself. I am 18, be 19 in June. Live in a small town in Michigan calle durand. I have not done ANY parasitic traveling, which is really terrible. I plan to though, i am just waiting to finish up this semester in College. Then im taking some time off to do the things i want to do. Right now i am just preparing, getting into shape, learning as much as i can etc.

Edit: Oh yeah heres a few of my websites:
www.seeeingred.blogspot.com (punk music downloading site)
www.kl.am/zines (an ezine library i set up)
www.flickr.com/seeeingred (photography of mine)

Shoestring

Professional Hobo
Banned
Reaction score
Rolling, empty boxcars to Sioux Falls, South Dakot
Website
www.youtube.com
That means "Free ride" on anything! (Like a tic or flea is to a dog)!
Parasites being on a dog or other mammal taking a free ride......As in train hopping, hitchhiking, etc, etc, etc,........

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score
That means "Free ride" on anything! (Like a tic or flea is to a dog)!
Parasites being on a dog or other mammal taking a free ride......As in train hopping, hitchhiking, etc, etc, etc,........

I've never heard train hopping, hitching, etc referred to as that before so I had to ask. I don't really like the idea of calling hitching and hopping parasitic, just has a very negative connotation to it.

jojomnky

Reaction score
welcome Stewart! i just wanted to add that i really identify with the word "parasite" as a descriptor for alot of my activities. living off the excesses of the world and not contributing to waste (rather using the waste to my own benifit) seems like one of the best ways to deal with society. if theres excess room on a train ill use it to transport me. if theres an extra seat in your big ass SUV ill use that too. if theres excess food in a dumpster i'll use it to feed me. if theres a place to live that isn't being lived in i'll more than happily use it. society wastes so much but if your clever you can employ that waste to your advantage which is what most parasites do. they aren't necessarily detrimental to the host. so i'm all for parasitic everything. if not to provide for my self then to show others how much there is out there that isnt being used.

piratehobo

Reaction score
hey stewart! welcome! ive never known anyone named stewart. Well, this site is quite a wealth of incredibly useful information, so read, share and learn!
:arrgh: :chug:

A

Arapala

Hmm sorry, i am not the most p.c. person ever. I didn't really mean for there to be a philosphy behind that word. A tic rides a dog. A person rides a train. Its just bigger scale. Bad is simply a word. All words are interpretive. Whats bad to you may not be bad to me. I like parasites, and im sure fleas are nice little bugs once you get to know them.

In the end, i was not trying to talk down to anyone, or anything, it was just a convenient way for me to say train hopping, hitching, ect. all in one word.

Great forum here! Lots of nice folks as well! See ya around!

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score
I didn't really take offense to it, feel free to call yourself a parasite if you want to. I just think that we do get enough bad publicity already from mainstream society and don't really need to invoke words that encourage that more. Fleas and tics are parasitic not because they take a ride on a dog but because they suck blood/nutrients and lay their eggs during the ride. I can't speak for you but I've never sucked the blood out of any folks that have given me a ride while hitching or stolen anything off of trains I was riding. Getting a ride in and of itself to someplace that someone/something was already going to be going anyway is not really what I'd call parasitic. Personally I tend to feel much more parasitic lately since I acquired a van and began rubber tramping than I ever did hitching or riding trains.
As far as I'm concerned though, all humans are parasites in truth since we take far more resources from our environments than we put back, so like I said I'm not really offended. And yes all words are very subjective, I'm just one of those folks that tends to get caught up in the different meanings that they take on and the implications that those meanings can have.
Anyway, welcome to stp!! Hope you find lots of useful stuff in here to help you along with your travels.

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
haha i dont care what anyone says, i think fleas are pretty friendly. welcome stewart.

LovelyAcorns

Reaction score
Fuck, you're everywhere I turn. I'm finally starting to check out the Detroit scene, gotta meet up at trumbullplex or somewhere at some point.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads