Has any one ridden the East Coast Greenway? | Squat the Planet

Has any one ridden the East Coast Greenway?

Gypsybones

Reaction score
Website
highonwheels.tumblr.com
About to leave Greensboro and head up to philly via the ECG.
Has anyone done this or live near it or know anything I should do that is cool around it? Hell, anyone ridding it or want to and can get up and go asap? get at me nurds!

check out my travel blog n shit.
http://highonwheels.tumblr.com/

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
No I have not. My touring group were eyeing it when we did a lot of riding about 10+ years ago but we never pursued it and it wasn't done. Looks pretty cool. The last trail we did was to connect to Waterfront Trail (left upstate ny and went through the freaking mountains of thousand islands then connect with waterfront trail). It was interesting - I had all the research (like bike shops in the towns etc) and maps - but there were times when for ex this one stretch - there was NO shoulder - just large rocks and the narrow highway that was full of 5 o'clock traffic. We watched one bicyclist do it and we said no way and we walked our bikes. Another time the trail skinnied out and we were riding on a 6" wide dirt pat in a field of high weeds. Met a park ranger in a truck in the field (odd) and he said yep, that's the trail. Couple other times GPS or no GPS, we hiked our bikes up embankments to a real road. But all in all it was fun. Would love to read your traveling blog on that trip!

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
wow - never saw anyone tour on a tall bike! Did see one oddity - this guy coming down the road with backpack and stuff and all his stuff was in large black garbage bags. You could not see the bike or his legs. In fact he was rather a large black circle pedaling down the road.

• Haha
Reactions: Grav3yardgirl89

Aleus

Reaction score
I've ridden parts of it from NYC to DC. Some parts are nice trails or paved paths and others you're riding in the road with traffic or on the shoulder. I would definitely recommend thicker tires as most of the shoulders are covered in debris.
Much respect for the tall bike touring, my touring buddy and I have considered riding the C&O trail from DC to Cumberland MD on our tall bikes. I've never tested out riding with racks or panniers on my tall bike but I'd assume weight distribution is the major issue to not topple over.
If you get to Philly in the next two weeks hit me up, I'm leaving around the 20th.

Hillbilly Castro

Reaction score
Def gonna want a map, at least from my experience in the NYC-MA route. Signage can be confusing or absent. But the ride is good!

WanderLost Radical

Reaction score
Everytime y'all say tallbike, non-rider me sees this:
dc48a91af72b33282e94e96f1d7dfb79.jpg

Definitely would be a challenge around traffic xD

D

Deleted member 9462

Just found about about this gem! Ridin part if it now to baltimore.. Just rode the gap and c & o towpath to dc from pittsburgh. Though traffic can get weird, the paved path is a welcomed change from the rooty & rocky c & o!

Last edited:

Gypsybones

Reaction score
Website
highonwheels.tumblr.com
Just found about about this gem! Ridin part if it now to baltimore.. Just rode the gap and c & o towpath to dc from pittsburgh. Though traffic can get weird, the paved path is a welcomed change from the rooty & rocky c & o!
I'm about to leave Philly and head to the burgh via the gap. You turning around and heading back that way anytime soon?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads