Getting into Mexico by freight train | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Getting into Mexico by freight train

Steven

Reaction score
You don't need a passport to return to the US from Mexico. Being from arizona I know many people that cross with state ID and birth certificate some of these people being hispanic, and they pass without much hassle. I even heard of people passing with state ID alone. As far as Mexico being dangerous I can tell you mexicali, san luis, nogales, agua prieta, naco, lukeville, all arizona border towns arent dangerous but becareful if you decide to visit Mexico. I would definitely avoid Tijuana and Ciudad Juarez. Matamorros/Brownsville is the border town where they deport illegals who have done prison time or are considered dangerous so becareful there as well.

Ok, I will definitely be careful then.
I was gonna take a iphone translator app to talk to the people in the smaller towns

KingFRedo

Reaction score
I would try to look the most poor as possible I wouldn't take a Iphone. Maybe a little book with spanish phrases to show people you are trying to be social but don't have money.

Steven

Reaction score
I would try to look the most poor as possible I wouldn't take a Iphone. Maybe a little book with spanish phrases to show people you are trying to be social but don't have money.

Yea. I thought about that after i put that.
It's just I am not good at foreign languages and i wanted to take something to help me interact

Cristian

Reaction score
dude you can honestly walk in and out of mexico without a passport, its so fuckin easy i've done it like 30 times within the past year alone. all you basically need is like a birth certificate or an id. i only went into mexico from san ysidro (san diego area, tijuana)

Reactions: nameless

christianarchy

Reaction score
First, OP, I´d say go on foot, in a city. Few train lines run into Mexico and those that do are higher security and it´d be an easy way to run into a crooked pollero or other unfriendly person. If you´re set on riding in Mexico, which maybe you shouldn´t rush, hop it from down here, and figure out what the hell you´re doing.

Border towns and minimal ID are no problem. I cross regularly with a photocopy of an expired passport, ni pedo. ¨Mexico¨ is not dangerous, life is, the world is. It´s easy to stay safe for some but in much of the world you have to figure out how to defend yourself and, much more importantly, diffuse tense situations, sometimes with cultural and language barriers in play. A passport is a good idea for crossing state lines in southern mexico and going further south. Otherwise, a copy of a birth certificate, SSN card, driver´s license, something helps. Knives longer than 2 inches can get you arrested, and you can be searched anytime so careful where you hide contraband or consider foregoing it. Getting into the States is easy with only a DL or something, or even without if you´re English and your story is good. If they didn´t let you in they´d have a hell of a lawsuit on their ass or something.

I haven´t explored much of Mexico outside of Tijuana, but I´ve lived here the last year and am not leaving anytime soon. After seeing a good chunk of the states and Europe I found TJ to be a much more cultured yet diverse place, strongly affected by US immigration policy but more importantly ripe with viable ways of resisting imperialism.

It´s also really important to understand that much of the violence in Mexico, advertised or not, is a product of US imperialism. Maybe, if you´re comfortable with your privilege and don´t easily get along with others from very different class backgrounds and life experiences, you should be scared. But if you love to see different places, meet people from all over the world, learn language and culture, you´d likely find it fascinating. Tijuana is a wonderful place to start, IMO, and to all of you, my couch is lacking dirty kids..

• Haha
Reactions: Cristian

Hallucinate

Reaction score
Yes it's that bad. I've seen more than a few dozen beheading videos straight out of mexico. Ever since the government in mexico declared war against the cartels a lot of people have died. Over 60 thousand in the last 5 years.

christianarchy

Reaction score
Yes it's that bad. I've seen more than a few dozen beheading videos straight out of mexico. Ever since the government in mexico declared war against the cartels a lot of people have died. Over 60 thousand in the last 5 years.

Fuck off and die, you are regurgitating bullshit.

i only deemed it funny cause you brought up the time with when i had a knife. LMFAO
was talking about your post chris

Haha, you´re not the only gringo friend that´s gotten arrested for that shit. My buddy just had $150 USD irreturnable bail.
Weak!

B

Benny

I'm down at the end of the Baha and its way different from the border towns. I drove through six military checkpoints on the way down with only one asking for my passport. They never even searched through my truck packed full of crap.
I went to get a tourist visa in Cabo San Lucas and the lady told me that you are supposed to get a tourist visa in Tijuana. I wanted a tourist visa for six months but she said that they couldn't issue that visa so i should come in before i leave and get a 30 day visa in letter form. Basically she told me to not worry about it.
The Mexicans are some of the nicest people in the world. If you smile really big when you talk to them, generally they will really try to help you. DO NOT raise your voice or start a fight in public because it's against the law and it will either get you deported or thrown in jail.
If you get past the border towns bullshit, you should be okay. Don't believe the hype and scared people on here. A lot of poor people in Mexico hop trains and do just fine.

Reactions: Matt Derrick

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads