Flashlights

BananaPhuck

Reaction score
I am just wondering what kind of flashlights everyone uses. I had a super bright 4D Maglight, but realized it was about 2.5 pounds and too heavy. I switched out for a not so bright wind-up LED light. I am thinking about getting an LED headlamp too, for hands free stuff.

Wotan

Reaction score
Website
wodinswrath.blogspot.com
I used to be a dire hard hand held flashlight kind of guy. But ever since I got an LED head lamp it has been great. It is so useful you won't bother taking it off.

Wotan

Reaction score
Website
wodinswrath.blogspot.com
Just be careful around camp fires and the desire to take your hat off. My headlamp flew right into the fire. Fortunately I was quick and grab it out before it started to melt.

dirty_rotten_squatter

Reaction score
maglites are a multiuse tool..a flashlight and a head basher..had ta use it as both, but head lamps are the shit dont lose it though itll come up miising in the blink of an eye

Drunken Hearted Man

Reaction score
Yeah headlamps are useful. I've never been able to hang on to one though. I prefer smaller LED flashlights, ones that can fit in your mouth while you fish around in your pack, dumpsters etc.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Headlamps are nice, but they are so hard to keep- they don't typically put themselves in belt pouches so well. I've lost about four of them, none of which I've paid for, but it's still annoying. I have a CMG infinity as my backup light, which uses one AA battery, but that company got bought by Gerber- and I have a Gerber Omnivore as my main, that can use either a AAA, AA, or one of those weird lithium CR123A something batteries.

For nice headlamps, if you buy them expect them to be between 30 and 60 bones.

dirty_rotten_squatter

Reaction score
man i got one fer 20 bucks that had all sorts of settings and colors n shit. like a mode that didnt frighten animals and then flashing shit and a whole bunch of other mcgiver shit. i got it at gander mountain dont know if u got one of those wherever you are, but your best bet is ta look fer on online. I would tell ya what kind I have but im too lazy ta go ta the other room and dig fer it. anyhead lamp is good really depends on how good u take care of ur shit

Rash L

Reaction score
I have bad eyesight, and HORRIBLE night vision... as well as REALLY bad luck with flashlights. I'm always losing them or breaking them over someone's head or something.... right now I'm working with 2 of these military flashlight/glow stick dealies that have a red light on one side and a white light on the other, each side can be flipped around to point into the hollow white plastic tube that is the middle of the light to create a light stick/lamp type mode. Very light weight, especially since they use funny little strange batteries that are flat and weigh next to nothing. I got them from my roommate (in the marines) and I am thoroughly fascinated by them. They rock.

Drunken Hearted Man

Reaction score
I've got a little key chain LED light I bought for a few bucks at wall mart. It's held up good for at least 5-6 months. It takes a single AAA and those are easy enough to steal.

Dmac

Reaction score
i agree with everyone on the headlite, so very useful. plus anything with led's are a pluss cuz the bulbs have like 50,000 hours of life and don't drain the bateries as quick. my headlamp has 3 led's and uses 3 aaa bateries. i put fresh bats is and left it on it sayed lit for over 72 hours! and it only cost me 19 bucks! my mini mag (2 aa bat type) was brighter but would only last 3 to 4 hours and the bulbs would burn out whenever it was most unconvienient.
i also have one of those fariday flashlights,the type you shake to charge, the real one not the cheap knockoffs. it really is bright and pretty much unbrakeable. plus no worries of dead bateries, hell evan the cheepies are worth it,

hartage

Reaction score
I've got a single AA led flashlight on me all the time. If I'm camping I have a headlamp with me. Much more convenient than having the flashlight in my mouth. If I need more light and a blunt object option I have a 2D pretty bright led. It's substantial enough and thick enough aluminum that swung hard enough it should give a good tap. Usually the ever present single AA led is good for 99% of my needs.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
ArrowInOre said:
god damn, call me old school, but I never carries, nor now do I use a flashlight. I ahve been blessed with incredibley great night vision, and if I DID need light, a candle was fine for me...However.. If I were to use one, a littlt keychain mag works the best.....

Is your vision good enough to be able to see poop in a grainercubby at night without a light?

BananaPhuck

Reaction score
I usually have great night vision, but I recently my eyes have been acting up. I started taking apart old LED flashlights that were cheaply made. I am taking all the LEDs and making a flashlight out of 1/2" PVC pipe.

It will be lighter and smaller than my Maglight, but not quite as strong. I'm not sure how bright it will be...

tumtum

Reaction score
i used to use a mini maglite, until it fell out of my pocket and rolled off the porch of a 53. Now i use a $20 energizer LED head lamp, probably my favorite thing i have. so useful, especially for going through dumpsters.

wildboy860

CrustyhoboHippycore
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I carry a petzl LED headlamp wich I've had for about 3 years now & a keylight w/ an on/off switch. andything just weighs too much or doesn't work that well

BananaPhuck

Reaction score
let us know how that goes BananaPhuck, I'm interested now.

Alright, I am done with it. Right now it is just 3 Bright White LEDs from a flashlight I found in a lot (in San Fran by the city food bank), it was missing the switch. It has a 3 AA batteries, and the 3 LEDs in parallel. It is brighter than my MagLight (though it should get new batteries), and my wind up LED light.

Below are some pictures... If I am doing it right...

Edit - The LEDs got really hot, and was melting the hot glue around them (so pretty darn hot) and one burned out. I replaced it with 5 LEDs from my wind up flashlight, and with more power, the LEDs were brighter.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads