Favorite hitching sign | Page 11 | Squat the Planet

Favorite hitching sign

K

Kim Chee

I've hitched probably over 20k mi. I made a sign once, flew it once.
I was pretty much a minimalist. I never felt the need to fly a sign,
but I'd probably give it a shot if I were hitching now.

"testing for human kindness" with a big ass smiley face. This sign has always worked for me.

^I'd fly something like that.

CliffordFromMaine

Reaction score
I sometimes fly "good conversationalist" or In more illiterate states "I'm a fun guy" I heard from a friend of mine he was trying to hitch outta texas on the fourth of July and he was having no luck so he bought a pack of Budweiser and held it up in one hand while thumbing with the other. First car picked him up. How patriotic haha

Rob Nothing

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
this guy in sioux falls told me he used to get rides all over the place carrying a gas jug in his hand, which he'd fashioned smartly into a lunchbox and would take out an apple or sandwhich once he'd gotten in the car, just to rub it in.

depending on visibility from the place I am standing I might sometimes write out a big fat NORTH or SOUTH etc, but normally just throw out a thumb with a big stupid grin on my face.

CliffordFromMaine

Reaction score
[QUOstupid verin, post: 203749, member: 6082"]this guy in sioux falls told me he used to get rides all over the place carrying a gas ju his hand, which he'd fashioned smartly into a lunchbox and would take out an apple or sandwhich once he'd gotten in the car, just to rub it in.

depending on visibility from the place I am standing I might sometimes write out a big fat NORTH or SOUTH etc, but normally just throw out a thumb with a big stupid grin on my face.[/QUOTE]
Big stupid grin is tried and true. Whenever I see a gas can on the side of the road I'll pick it up and walk with it while I hitch.people seem more likely to pick you up when they think you have a car which is fucked

pewpew

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I usually just put the boring 'Hedin West" or whatever the direction will be...usually works but most of the time I can walk with my dog down the highway and that always seems to get me rides, I think because people assume you're less likely a serial killer with a cute healthy looking pooch.

roughdraft

Reaction score
I always write home really big so that people will assume im not homeless. And I also write the direction and the city because sometimes people who are on the road for the long haul, especially now with GPS and people might not have looked at an actual map, they might not realize what they are passing.

this is the funniest thing I've read in a while

CloudyESTL

Reaction score
These are signs for hitching or spangn ..or both.....I got a few

The classic
-family kidnaped by ninjas..plz help...

The dumbest.
Not broke or hungry... Just trying to buy racecar Parts..

...really ..Honest..
Trap got radied ..need to pay back the plug anything helps. ..bls

And IV seen this one get actual fifty dollars bill sumtime if no 20s ...gotta have a really ugly.. dirty..like grimy crustfuck hold it ...

Punch ur stepmom for 1$
Kiss her for 50$ ...

For some reason those redhh

CloudyESTL

Reaction score
Super model in between jobs...anything helps

Praise baby Jesus , Kentucky Fried Chicken, and Donald J Trump..
Thank u grate America anything helps
Make my stomach full again

Those all work with the Trump supporters..who are typically fucking loaded with cash so...

Bibs

Reaction score
I've had good luck with:
"Wholesome as fuck"
"Catch a Riiiiiiiiiiidddddddeeeee!"
"Send feet pics"
"I just need to go 7 miles"
"Wink wink, nudge nudge"
"Don't pick me up"
"Rather be hoppin freight"
"Smiley face"
"Jesus is mah boi"
"We have cake"

For the record wholesome as fuck has been the most successful, followed by don't pick me up.

Reactions: Ynwdwndrr

daveycrockett

Reaction score
This one hitching Texas to NYC. Only sign i ever flew. Usually thumbed over the years. Noone stopped i threw it out after an hour stuck my thumb out and git a ride. Fuck a sign.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210901-173745_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20210901-173745_Instagram.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 163

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads