Dragging myself into this century........

oldmanLee

Reaction score
Okay,I give up.The life I have lead for the last 30 or so years comes to a close,and I realize that it might be a good thing to get a TELEPHONE.No more blissfull night's sleep unintterupted by calls from friends seeking bail money,telemarketers,and people too lazy to actually come over for a vist,but will find myself a slave to a tiny little plastic box that requires constant attention.
So,here's my question:what brand/kind?ALL I WANT TO DO IS MAKE/RECIVE CALLS!Figure that a pay as I go plan will work,or I'll by cards or whatever,but let's think cheap folks!If I'm going to have one of the annoying things,may as well starve it rather than the dogs or me.

macks

Ballsy Adventurer
Reaction score
Website
macksemil.wordpress.com
Good luck getting a phone that just does calls, I tried to get one of those with verizon and ended up with one that does all the fancy stuff - it was one of their cheapest, smallest phones too! Gah, I wish they would just make small phones that just do PHONE CALLS, what a phone is for right?

Anyway - best of luck to you I would say go with Arrow's advice if you don't want to get sucked into a contract.

Reactions: oldmanLee

carlylanea

la fille canadienne
Reaction score
there's a phone called jitterbug, it has no other features but calling, service is like 14.99 a month and the phone itself is kinda cheap! you should look into it! oh and you can try it for 30 days and if you don't like it, you get your money back. :)

jitterbug.com

CanoeTramp

Reaction score
Wallymart trac-fone, motorola flip phone,- double minutes. I just ignore all the extra b.s. features on it, used the camera maybe once in the past year. Can't understand why anyone needs an internet phone,- trying to surf the net on a screen not much bigger then a match box, has to be the stupidest thing yet. I'd only recommend the jitterbug if your 80 and quickly slipping in to senility.

oldmanLee

Reaction score
Let's see......reading glasses,check........Depends,check......Metamucile,check.........shawl,check.......cane,check........hmmmmmmmmm,what was I asking about.....OH YEAH,TEOEPOPHONES!Will check on the jitterbug and the wallyworld phones.Hope that the damned things are simple enough for me to use,and have a #$%@&^@! keypad big enough to actually hit the &#$%@(! buttons and not dial up Guam.

(By the way,Arrow..........the simplicity of the book was the depth........)

connerR

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Get an iPhone! Then you can blog! And social network! You can even check StP while you're getting coffee from Starbucks! IT'LL BE FABULOUS.

In all seriousness, that Jitterbug is pretty basic/easy to use.

oldmanLee

Reaction score
.....gets up,shuffles over to connerR ,and beats connerR silly with cane............ and thank you,adragonfly,will chck skype as well!

Reactions: connerR

Wolfeyes

Reaction score
+1 on the jitterbug idea. Had one for a while and it rocked for simple person to person calls. One thing though, if your hearing is still good enough to hear a person talking somewhat loudly, you may want to turn the volume down. The one I had, at it's lowest setting I still had to hold it about four inches away from my head to avoid going deaf, and the ringer could wake the dead.

bote

Reaction score
just call me OldmanBote cause I´ve never had a phone either.
I have been considering getting one though. Anybody know about skype phones, or just running skype of a cheap cell phone?

This seems like an ideal setup if it works. You find free wireless and then use your skype account through your phone, no monthly fees at all.

Anybody know if this works/ tried it?

macks

Ballsy Adventurer
Reaction score
Website
macksemil.wordpress.com
Had a friend who ran skype off of an iTouch instead of cellphoning. Works just as well if you have a spot where you can get a decent wi-fi connection and only a one time charge instead of contract. The iTouch is a cool gizmo, but I don't think I can bring myself to get one. Thought about it for a minute.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Hmm. It looks like I'll be the only one without a phone now... I really hate the thought of having a tracking/bugging device on me. I wish the phone would have a mechanical on/off switch instead of having to physically remove the battery...

bote

Reaction score
finn, i see that as one theoretical advantage of the skype phone: you are using wifi, not cell phone networks, so your ip can be tracked, but only after or while you are using the thing, and only to the router, not gps style.

MiztressWinter

Like A Boss
Reaction score
ya know....you can get a free phone with about 60 min a month on it

safelink.com

it's a government program tho...i wouldn't talk about anything ....errr illegal on it? but other than that. it's free. and you get 60 min a month talk time. you could do that....and get a basic house phone as well (Assuming you have a house?) there's a program called lifeline. if you sign up for a basic house phone thru whomever carries your local phone service...they can help you get on lifeline. your home phone bill will be like....15 bucks a month or cheaper. then if you also get that cell...you will have that for emergencies when you're away from home. idk...just a suggestion

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads