Do you sleep with a weapon | Squat the Planet

Do you sleep with a weapon

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Almost always have a can of pepper spray at hand, last year I purchased a pistol but find travelling with it more of a nuisance in terms of weight, attention (full sized frame) , restrictions on where I can go which Is complicated by using a bicycle to get around where i cant lock it down very well just hide.

I had some cops investigate my campsite in a city park last year while I had my Hk VP9 inside at around 3 am, on my trailer is an HK sticker which the keen eyed cop spotted making him inquire as to whether I had any firearms with me.

Its was an awkward affair explaining to them from inside a hammock which is hard to see into yes I do and will be coming out hands up and not to worry! They let me stay after running my ID for warrants, all my firearms are in storage until I can get a safe out here in the wilderness. Besides I've never really been able to suppress feeling anxious and self conscious about carrying a firearm even with the proper legal documentation, also riding with one attached on a hip holster requires a very long shirt or jacket to conceal and makes riding. Less comfortable.

Last edited:

LuckyMinnie

Reaction score
when your in a homebummy area do you also sleep with a weapon in / close at hand or no?
I'm not currently traveling but am in the planning stages. In my opinion, pepper gel spray is the way to go. From what I've read, the gel is easier to control. It's less likely to get on you and more likely to hit your target. They sell it by the cash register at Lowes. Other than that, I'm not going to carry anything that is an obvious weapon. Of course, there's always a glass bottle or something else that you can hit someone with, which are improvised weapons that won't land you in legal trouble. Thete are also personal alarms and whistles. If you're in an urban area, that might help because the attacker sure doesn't want noise to draw attention to his crime.

Reactions: JackSquat

r3yn

Reaction score
I usually carry a full-tang survival knife (right now, a Fallkniven F1). I really hope I never even have to pull it out for anything besides cutting up veggies or kindling, etc. But it is comforting to know I've got it. I've heard from many folks is dangerous to have a big knife and pull it out to defend yourself -- something about that it's more likely to be used on you. While there may be some truth to that, I don't think it's "more likely" to happen, and I also think that most guys would look at a knife and probably re-consider fucking with you.

I think next time I go out hitching or catching out I'll bring a small can of bear spray.

I'd love to carry a little .32 or even a small 9mm, but it's too much weight and heat.

Bobbas Thomas

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
whenever I'm out there I either carry nothing (most likely) or a can of bear spray sometimes.

I'm curious as to what you guys think but something inside me tells me that if I have a gun or a knife, and someone sees me pull it out, the chances of them pulling out a gun (if they have one) and using it are much increased.

besides, i feel like if you don't look like you have antyhing valuable, like you look bummy or whatever, most people will kinda just leave you alone and not want much to do with you anyways. If I don't look like I have anything valuable on me, then who would waste their time trying to jump me? that's what I've always told myself.

LuckyMinnie

Reaction score
whenever I'm out there I either carry nothing (most likely) or a can of bear spray sometimes.

I'm curious as to what you guys think but something inside me tells me that if I have a gun or a knife, and someone sees me pull it out, the chances of them pulling out a gun (if they have one) and using it are much increased.

besides, i feel like if you don't look like you have antyhing valuable, like you look bummy or whatever, most people will kinda just leave you alone and not want much to do with you anyways. If I don't look like I have anything valuable on me, then who would waste their time trying to jump me? that's what I've always told myself.
As a female, just looking like I don't have anything to steal does not help with my security. You always have to worry about rape. As a male, you need to understand that you are not invincible. I think women tend to be paranoid about security, for good reason. On the flip side, I think males might tend to underestimate their vulnerability. There are crazy people who will muder just for fun. There are people who have beaten to death homeless folks with a baseball bat as they slept.

biffula

Reaction score
when your in a homebummy area do you also sleep with a weapon in / close at hand or no?

Yes. And my knives are always razor sharp. Literally you can shave with them. If I so much as touch someone with one it will cut them. Even my little 3" lock blade knife would do some serious damage to someone. Sharpening my knives is also a great way to pass time when waiting on a ride.

croc

Reaction score
Yes, I always keep multiple weapons on my person in accessible ways.
Trust no bitch.

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: Lilly and Odin

Jambalaya

Reaction score
Knives. They don't need to be big either, you just gotta know a little bit about human anatomy. The plueral cavity in which your lungs reside can be reached easily with a 3 inch blade. A tension pneumothorax left unattended is a quick and gruesome way to dispatch some one. Jugular and femoral arteries are easily accessible with a three inch blade. Your sternum is mostly cartilage and with the correct placement the heart is also reached with a short blade. If you're not confident with placing a point in those targets, the eyes (penetrated), the forehead, or right under the nose and above the lip (slashed horizontally) will buy you time to bail.

A Crystal Bic pen with the nib and ink removed can be fashioned into a point that is both strong enough and sharp enough to penetrate the rib cage. Even through clothing if sharpened properly. Which can be done through friction on carpet or concrete.

Ballast, padlocks, soap in a tube sock. Use your imagination here.

A garrote. This is going to take some practice to implement if your actively being attacked. Style points if you pull it off though.

Guns are great, you just have to understand the laws around owning, carrying and using them in your area or any area you may be traveling through.

Self-defense is a complicated word when it comes to dealing with it in a court of law. You have to be prepared and know that you will more than likely be arrested for defending your self if you use any sort of weapon. Especially if your attacker is dispatched from this realm. Some states even have a duty to retreat law. In other words you have to run away. You're not even allowed to defend yourself. Not to mention if you're perceived as homeless we already know the law could give two shits about you.

I could go on and on about this. Also E&E in the event of being unlawfully restrained. I.e. being kidnapped and how to escape restraints etc.

Be safe, be vigilant.

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
You should really be more worried about having your valuables out of view and your bike locked up. your more likely to be stolen from then assaulted unless your female bodied person. Just fyi. I usually keep something around. Another good defence is being somewhere where the ground makes noise(leaves) where someone would have to alert you of their presence if they approached you.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Keep your wits about you.

bote

Reaction score
always, travelling or not. I don't feel any paranoia about it, just better to have a club or rock lying next to you or your knife in your boot within easy reach. Why not, I'm not a jumpy person.

Reactions: AyeAaron

Bobbas Thomas

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
As a female, just looking like I don't have anything to steal does not help with my security. You always have to worry about rape. As a male, you need to understand that you are not invincible. I think women tend to be paranoid about security, for good reason. On the flip side, I think males might tend to underestimate their vulnerability. There are crazy people who will muder just for fun. There are people who have beaten to death homeless folks with a baseball bat as they slept.
I can definately understand that. Females get harassed and sexually assulted way too much. It seems like half of the girls I have known have had some sort of story about it. It's terrible. And yes there are people that get beaten up/killed just for fun, but I'm unconvinced that it is likely to happen. I wonder if it is just the internet and hte media reporting (easy access to information from everyewhere) that makes people think it is more likely? but maybe I am wrong! I appreciate the debate/different views of it and cannot say either way.

Sameer

Reaction score
No, I actually don't think I'm that much different from "the all" , in a way. I think we are all in the same boat heading down the same river. When I walk my dog I lock everything up. I actually don't park in those kind of areas anyway. It wouldn't be a reasonable thing to do.

Reaction score
Yes and no. Granted, I'm 230 and full of fuck on me rage so, waking me up unannounced is a weapon on its own lol, but kidding aside, never anything lethal. If I'm sleeping, I'm more likely to cut myself with a blade and a gun is well, a gun and you already know all the problems you can run into there. My suggestion and pratice has always been the same. Wasp Spray. Its corrosive, it sticks like napalm, its accurate and has a good range for a chemical irritant, and its non lethal. Also bonus points since you can't be charged with a concealed weapon for it. And its usually lightweight and easy to carry and not very expensive.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads