Do you sleep with a weapon

laughingman

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I'm not sure how to quote part of a post but.

""Within 21 feet the knife always wins. A firearm isn't a magic boom stick that makes bad guys go away. You can very easily get yourself stabbed if you think like that. If in doubt run as fast as you can and don't stop. There is no shame in fleeing or refusing to fight. The firearm should always be the last resort.""

Has Always been my argument for not carrying or sleeping with a firearm or weapon. If someone wants to get you. They probably will. Weapons don't stop bullets, or knifes, or big sticks. If guns or knifes worked to defend and protect people on an individual level, body armor would not be a thing. It has always seamed to me that carrying a gun just makes you a target for people who want to steel it from you. Sleeping with a weapon and the idea that you will be able to go from totally asleep-to awake and alert enough to fight off an attacker in less then a second just seams like bad action movie logic to me. You could probably make a solid argument that this is the whole reason why people banded into communities and built houses. Being attacked in your sleep is not a problem that has an easy to carry solution. When I'm out and about. If I am scared when I go to sleep its normally because I know that the area I'm sleeping in is not safe. I try to find places far away from population centers, busy roads and streets, or an active night life. Its the safety of obscurity argument. If no one has any reason to be there. Or anyplace close to there. The chances of them running across you are small. That being said I understand that firearms or other weapons can be a big part of peoples lives. If that weapon is also a tool or something you normally use theirs no reason not to have it with you.

The Toecutter

The Patron Saint of Filth
Reaction score
"Within 21 feet the knife always wins. A firearm isn't a magic boom stick that makes bad guys go away. You can very easily get yourself stabbed if you think like that. If in doubt run as fast as you can and don't stop. There is no shame in fleeing or refusing to fight. The firearm should always be the last resort."

In many circumstances, a sawed-off shotgun could beat a knife in close quarters. To their credit, knives are a lot easier to conceal. I'm partial to machetes because of their utilitarianism. As a kid, I used to practice throwing them at the tree outside, and it ended up eventually killing the bark off in large sections.

Johny

Reaction score
When I was camping in north Las Vegas Vegas I slept with brass knuckles on both hands and a machete under my sleeping mat.
At the time on two separate weekends I seen two ppl shot 5 times apeice and one guy beat to death with a claw hammer.
Also there was a serial killer shooting the homeless.

• Wow
Reactions: The Toecutter

sevedemanos

Reaction score
bought a glock 20 last november bc similar shit going on in pdx. was there from august to june this year working and was well aware of the tightrope i was walking, stealth camping the city for that long with zero friends and no safety net / bail.

literally forgot it at a bus stop, in my day pack, in april. its been A LOT less stressful walking to and from work without it, honestly. people think youre a school shooter these days just bringing it up.

Johny

Reaction score
bought a glock 20 last november bc similar shit going on in pdx. was there from august to june this year working and was well aware of the tightrope i was walking, stealth camping the city for that long with zero friends and no safety net / bail.

literally forgot it at a bus stop, in my day pack, at a bus stop. its been A LOT less stressful walking to and from work with it, honestly. people think youre a school shooter these days just bringing it up.

Yeah man I was rolling solo in a strange city full of fucked up wackos it seemed .
Met up with some good ppl and hopped out to SLC .
It was funny these cholos come up all "you know where you are ?!" Type shit and "where you from" without thinking I just quietly said "north Vegas" and they immediately was all like " shit you good then" and left lol

sevedemanos

Reaction score
ive worked with cholos on pot farms from vegas. you get aquainted w the psychology of that.

what you said wouldve been my best answer — ofc only if i had just rolled in / not been seen walking around yet.

slc-lv line is fucking epic. and those trains have to wind through canyons at a jog. no signal indications involved, just mph restrictions and physics. gold.

my train was robbed last summer by some local org in idaho. convinced i was going to die that night. shit feels like walking on water ever since lol. happy just to be alive

Reactions: Johny

AyeAaron

Hobocop
Reaction score
I can definately understand that. Females get harassed and sexually assulted way too much. It seems like half of the girls I have known have had some sort of story about it. It's terrible. And yes there are people that get beaten up/killed just for fun, but I'm unconvinced that it is likely to happen. I wonder if it is just the internet and hte media reporting (easy access to information from everyewhere) that makes people think it is more likely? but maybe I am wrong! I appreciate the debate/different views of it and cannot say either way.

Guess you're not around anymore, but I've been subjected to violence more times than I could say. I've seen people hurt at random for some sick fuck's amusement more than once.

If one is careful, they can limit the possibility of violence in their life, but its always just around the corner.

It is what it is though, can't live afraid.

Tony G

Reaction score
Get yourself a monkey fist very effective

Attachments

• images (5).jpeg
    images (5).jpeg
    14.4 KB · Views: 26

Tremor

Banjolele Strummer
Reaction score
Always, even when I'm not traveling. I had a paranoid schizophrenic roommate once. If that shit doesn't put the fear of god in you then nothing will. Every since I always have a knife under my pillow. Trust no one. Never know when someone might snap.

ali

Reaction score
"Trust no one" is literally a paranoid worldview. Plenty of people do not sleep with weapons and do not get assaulted overnight, because the vast majority of people in the world are not violent and antisocial.

Certainly, take extra precautions if you are frequently sleeping rough in locations where you might encounter violent and antisocial people, but it's worth remembering that those environments are not the norm. If you are housed up and a partner, family member or flatmate is abusive to the point you feel you have to carry a weapon 24/7, try to get help or get out.

Reactions: AyeAaron

Tremor

Banjolele Strummer
Reaction score
What I write next is not to attack you, but I do have to state that what you experience as normal is coming from a place of privilege. Safety is a luxury, and being around safe people is a rarity if you live on the margins. Trust is earned not given. I've learned this the hard way too many times. My experience and for my own safety I'd rather be paranoid then dead. Being forced to live with people with extreme mental illness, chemical dependency, and people starving with a hair trigger temper and zero impulse control, I'll sleep with that knife under my pillow till the day I die. Safety and being around safe people is a luxury and if you can afford that luxury then be thankful but never think that safety is the norm or guaranteed. Starving people are violent when pushed. People with chemical dependencies aren't themselves and aren't in control. People with mental illness sometimes don't even want to control themselves and give into their darkest intrusive thoughts without hesitation. These are your main company when you live well below the poverty line. Poverty drives people to drugs. Poverty makes mental illness so much worse. Poverty forces you to rub shoulders with the antisocial. My last roommate committed sexual assault against someone with zero remorse. Living in poverty forces you into horrible situations with no way out. It's just the way of the world and it's never gonna change under capitalism.

C0ffeeCat

"Divided we take our anti-depressants."
Reaction score
I'm no stranger to a bit of paranoia, but i always try to see the best in people.
I'd rather talk softly and carry a big stick, though.

That said, I've managed to chill with some rough crowds, but they were from the same hood. Now im about to set out on my own with no frame of reference or idea what to expect, and this shit legit scares me.

sevedemanos

Reaction score
for a couple of years i slept with a 10mm glock 20, which i kept in my bedding. but once i went back to freight i eventually pawned it back bc didnt feel like getting pulled off a train w that thing in my pack

for the duration i was sleeping outside, in places like ne pdx, seattle, port townsend, burlington.. i sometimes forget that most people here are housed. can defo agree with what alli said too.. if youre in an abusive domestic situation, just get out of there man.

Reactions: Tony G

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads