Video DIY welding using car batteries! (1 Viewer)

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!

Durp

Wayfarer
Current Location
VA for now
By far the most useful vid I have seen on this site! Wicked awsome man! Thanks!

OP
VikingAdventurer

VikingAdventurer

Guardian of the Knowledge of the Wastes
Travel Mentor
Current Location
Slab City, CA
Website
www.youtube.com
The video didn't specify. I would just get the cheapest ones, test it, and if it didn't work right I'd go get the other ones.

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Current Location
folks who know me have my #.
holy shit man..
i haven't even *watched* this fucking video, but the concept itself already rates as close to a tie with # 1 as i can think..

i carry a spare marine & typically a spare auto.. my marine had an issue with ground fault, & melted part of the terminal.. only lead, but still holds a charge..

this fucker gets archived!! thanks!!

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Current Location
folks who know me have my #.
this would probably be good for waterpump housings, possible radiator repairs, transmission lines, & maybe some mounting applications..

i doubt the technique would service high stress/large area requirements (struts, hinges, cracked blocks, etc.), but man..
i am going to look at this stuff in depth..

Thanks again!!

Great find, O One of Ancient Horns...

Durp

Wayfarer
Current Location
VA for now
So it tried this, and its ok for some stuff, the batteries I found were pretty shitty but it can be useful in a pinch. Idk how much I would trust these welds but if you break a spring mount or something of the like I think this would get you back to a real welder for a proper repair. Thanks.

huckfinnegain

Lurker
Current Location
Port Alberni, Canada
remarkable to know that one can simply metamorphose their solar/steam/wind/etc -powered battery bank into a welding apparatus in an 'off-grid' living situation. And heck, the welds in the video look cleaner than the ones generally produced by my 120V flux-core welder.
Utilizing this can help one build a 'bike generator' to recharge said batteries and on and on . . . ( my attempt at sharing the web link to that article/video was futile since this is my first post and it was considered spam to enclose a link, but for any interested, google search : "when disaster strikes bike generator will give me power". Interesting fella)
such a useful find after a day of metal working - cheers

beastcoast

Current Location
the northcountry
I was fucking around in the woods near Saint Johnsberry vt and came across a compound that had a battery bank powered welder. The compound was constructed out if giant heating oil tanks dug into hills or free standing with doors cut in them. I spent some time admiring their junk creations and battery welder, then booked before the owners showed up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$40.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $40.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $40.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $40.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $40.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

I got my first trespass in over five years of riding, but the bull in clovis was doing that thing were he scans the cars from a ladder and my bike had the back wheel off so i couldnt run. I caught the next train after he let me go.
The amarillo northyard hopout is trashed, can yall clean up after yourself. No wonder they put up all these new fences here.
just now saw yet another article of people talking photos of themselves and falling into a waterfall and being pummeled into drowning - why people why - i recall when i first heard something like this out at Silver Falls eas of Corvallis, I think it was 2012 or 2013, but it never ceases to amaze me that it happens so much all over the world
Hitched into Quebec City, got a free wristband to a music festival with The Offspring and Blink-182 playing!! Good times, now off to Charny, back on the rails!
'All I know is that I dont know nothin'
Fillmore, California... California is the ultimate shithole..!!!
how many of you get inspired when you watch 'into the wild'??? i know it always makes me want to hit the road.
Faceplant wrote on NotmybestNotmyworst's profile.
Come here, let me give you a big, loving hug. But don’t pick up the soap.
Looking for folks in Nyc, tips also welcome!

Staff online