DIY dreadlocks

BrittanyTheBananarchist

Reaction score
hey so i was wondering if i should start dreading them after i straigten my hair. i have really curly hair and i would think the dreads wouldnt look as good if i dreaded it when its curly but another thought is that if i start dreading them when its straigt once im done and once i eventually get my hair wet will it tighten on my scalp if it trys to curl up? just a thought but i am not sure. been thinkin abt tht for a while now . any thoughts?

Shark

Reaction score
wash your hair first with no shampoo or conditioner. just rinse it all out really good then just take a blow dryer and dry your hair completely through. you have to get your hair as dry as possible. after its all dry take a brush and get it was FRIZZY as possible. then just section out and back comb. straight hair isn't very good for locking up dreads but its possible.

watch these, they help me out for the most part.

roadohio

Reaction score
i'm working on dreads at the moment, i have naturally curly hair and i havent combed it or anything in 9 months or so, it's on its way to dreading itself! looks pretty good, although not dreadlike yet. more like a mixture of fro and long jerrycurls.

Spinelli

Reaction score
I read that if you wrap yer dreads up soak them in Isopropyl alcohol and leave it to sit for ten minutes that will kill lice. Also crochet hooks can tighten up yer dreads check it out on youtube.

leggo_chinowski

Reaction score
My favorite dreads came from going to a GWAR show and then I didn't wash all the blood,pus, ect out of my hair, cause it was like a momento and I had had such a fun time. Then I noticed that my hair was bonding into dreads... and so i pulled them apart, and had crazy shit-locks of all different sizes and thickness,ect. one of them stood straight out from my head like a coolio thingie, and it wouldn't lay down, and I had this one kid who always followed me around telling me i jad the coolest looking dreads he'd ever seen....(of course my hair was long at the time of the show, and is naturally oily and curly so that helps....)

thisisme

Reaction score
hey so i was wondering if i should start dreading them after i straigten my hair. i have really curly hair and i would think the dreads wouldnt look as good if i dreaded it when its curly but another thought is that if i start dreading them when its straigt once im done and once i eventually get my hair wet will it tighten on my scalp if it trys to curl up? just a thought but i am not sure. been thinkin abt tht for a while now . any thoughts?
oh one more thing, curly hair dreads way easier than straight hair. if you already have curly hair it wouldnt make any sense to straighten it before trying to dread it. i would suggest letting your hair naturally lock. thats just me though. itll be the strongest and healthiest if you just let it do it naturally as opposed to say backcombing or crocheting which makes the hair weak and brittle.

BrittanyTheBananarchist

Reaction score
well i did dread my hair and i think it did it quite well. either way if i would have straightened it or not one it would have gotten wet it would have curled on its own. i mostly just let them lock up i just seperated them so that i would have consistant dread sizes. other than that just put a small amount of beez wax onem and let them do their thing. the results were just as i wanted them to be.

carnytrash

Reaction score
Website
carnytrash.tumblr.com
  • Useful
Reactions: MamaSow

DaisyDoom

Reaction score
I'm trying a new(I think so anyway) technique with dreading. What my husband calls "Breads". Take a section of hair and split in 3 smaller sections. Backcomb each of the 3 sections and braid it then backcomb it all together but just a bit. I've had this set of dreads for about 3-4 months and so far they are dreading quite nicely...which is hard for my hair because its so fine and straight. You can't really tell that they were braids and i was able to keep most of my length.

crazy john

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
you gotta get a comb with strong ass teeth that are close together ( a metal one would work good if you can find it) and you section off your hair into squares between 1 and 2 inches. then, starting by ur roots, begin to comb your hair down towards your head in really small strokes and work your way up the section. once you have done this, you can take it a step further and get a crochet needle or somthing similar and poke the fuck out of the dread. then rubber band the base, the tip and wherever else on the dread you want and after a few weeks you should be able to take the bands out if you want and the dreads should be pretty well locked up and ready to roll

Nym

Reaction score
ive had multiple sets of dreads....
i just dont brush them out or use conditioner.....
let your hair go crazy and then twist whats seperating...
works for me.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads