Cheap Places to stay in NYC? (Hostel/Squat/New Friend?)

Hylyx

Reaction score
Hi all!
I'm headed to NYC later this week from SF, gonna stay a few days. I've never been and am excited as fuck to check it out!
Hoping someone has suggestions on good cheap places to stay, I have some money, but not a few hundred for a hotel, or some of the hostels I found online.
I know Squats in NYC are pretty much non-existent, but if anyone knows of cheap hostels or even a couch to sleep on that would be rad. I'm clean, nice, compact, can cook vegan noms, and not a junkie or fucking tweeker.

Thanks in advance!
--Helyx

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
I'd advocate hiding in the woods, as long as you have experience doing that kind of stuff, since it's only a few days.

wildboy860

CrustyhoboHippycore
StP Supporter
Reaction score
there are squats, but they're hard to find... look for the local homebum kids, they'll know whats up. try hangin out in thompkins sq. / washington sq. or union sq. park or go to the occupy wall st. that should help some.

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/13/nyregion/13trees.html?pagewanted=all

Cory and Dana Foht, 25-year-old twins from Florida, have spent some 20 nights over the past two months sleeping in hammocks hung in a Central Park tree. More Photos »
By COLIN MOYNIHAN

Published: November 12, 2010

There is no shortage of places in Manhattan where visitors can spend the night. Luxury hotels offer lavish suites that can run thousands of dollars, and youth hostels have beds for as little as $20. At least one flophouse survives on the Bowery. And, of course, there is couch-surfing — countless travelers bunk with old friends or near-strangers for little more than an owed favor.
Multimedia

13trees-slide-76MG-thumbWide.jpg
Slide Show

Sleeping in Trees

Cory and Dana Foht have taken another route. On some 20 nights over the past two months, the Fohts, 25-year-old twins from Florida, have climbed about 25 feet up the side of a tall European beech tree in Central Park, stretched nylon hammocks between its branches, unrolled sleeping bags and, with a few acrobatic moves, squirmed into their makeshift beds.
“It’s kind of like its own ecosystem up here,” Cory said one recent night as he lay in his hammock. “You’re definitely aware that you are sleeping in something and attached to something that’s alive.”
Their resting spot is not likely to be awarded any stars by the Michelin Guide, but it offers something the Fohts think is better: stars in an inky firmament directly overhead and obscured only by a screen of twigs and leaves.
“When you sleep inside, it’s warm and cozy,” Dana explained. “But it’s also like you’re sleeping in a box.”
Sleeping in the beech may be invigorating, but it is also illegal. Visitors are not allowed in Central Park between 1 and 6 a.m.; violators can be fined $50. While park rules do not explicitly forbid climbing any of its 24,000 trees, they do prohibit any behavior that damages a tree.
Police and parks officers go through Central Park each night and rouse anyone found sleeping. But those people are usually on a bench or under a tree. A spokeswoman said the Department of Parks and Recreation knew of no one who had recently been discovered slumbering in a hammock after curfew.
“Twenty-five years ago, there was a guy who built treehouses in the park,” the spokeswoman, Vickie Karp, wrote in an e-mail. “He promised never to do it again.”
The Fohts made no such promises.
The notion to camp above the ground came to the brothers this spring while they were climbing a banyan tree in Florida. They put the idea into practice a few months later when they embarked on a city-to-city bicycle trip and began exploring creative and cheap ways of finding food and lodging.
“Really, the inspiration behind it was getting above the sidewalk level,” Cory said. “You’re getting into your own little world and rising above the stress of the street life.”
Their first try came a few months later, in August, while visiting Williamsburg, Va., but they encountered hammock-hanging problems.
Soon, they learned the importance of selecting the right tree. It must have branches low enough to be ascended without a rope, but also have boughs high and sturdy enough that the hammocks can safely be suspended. The tree’s canopy must be dense enough for the Fohts to recline amid the leaves without being easily seen.
They have since slept in trees on the campus of the University of Virginia in Charlottesville (“We thought Jefferson would approve,” said Cory, referring to Thomas Jefferson, the founder of the school), and near Arlington National Cemetery. In Richmond, where they spent about a week’s worth of nights in two different trees, their favorite perch was a towering oak next to a church parking lot, until one Sunday morning when they awoke to find a police officer guarding cars parked by worshipers. (They stayed in their hammocks until the congregation had dispersed.)
While in trees, the brothers said, they sometimes catch glimpses of people who do not know they are being observed, or overhear snippets of conversation from those who imagine that they are alone. They have experienced a few close encounters with birds, they said, but have been lucky to avoid raccoons. The soft sway of the branches usually lulls them to sleep, though one recent night in Central Park, Dana had a disturbing dream in which a cord used to secure one end of his hammock came loose, leaving him to swing among the leaves like a pendulum.
The brothers, who graduated from Florida Gulf Coast University in 2007 and want to make documentaries, said that they were editing footage to create a 10-minute film about life in the beech, which they plan to post on YouTube. The two came to New York in September to participate in a rally for the preservation of community gardens, then decided to stay. They have spent some rainy nights in friends’ apartments, and occasionally hang their hammocks in the back room of a bicycle-repair workshop in Brooklyn where they volunteer as mechanics.
But they find themselves drawn back to their beech in Central Park. Spending a night there is spiritually restorative, they said, if a bit chilly of late. As the leaves and temperatures fall, the brothers said, their time in the tree is drawing to a close.
“I love this tree,” Cory said, adding that they always climb carefully, to avoid harming it. “Some of the most inspiring nights I’ve had in New York were spent here.”
One night this week, they entered the park about 9 p.m., wearing knit hats and backpacks, and keeping an eye out for others. They followed the shadowed turns of a path, then scrambled up the side of their beloved beech, grabbing thick branches and feeling for toeholds. A wintry wind whipped through the park, but by 10 p.m., aloft in the tree, it was as quiet as Manhattan gets. An occasional siren wailed, and a faint whistle could occasionally be heard from a Metro-North train emerging from the Park Avenue tunnel. The rumble of cars and trucks, though, washed into a high distant sound that blended with the rustle of the wind through the leaves.
About seven hours later, the brothers woke up as the sky began to brighten and reported that gusts of wind had rocked their hammocks for much of the night. In daylight, they showed off some of the tree’s features that they had come to appreciate most: the thick, leathery bark of its trunk, which provided climbing traction; the low, sweeping boughs that offered an easy path back to the ground; the dense foliage that gave cover from inquisitive eyes.
“It’s made an interesting little home,” Cory said.
Then the Fohts packed up their gear and headed for the Upper West Side, where they had stored their bicycles overnight with a friend. Joggers and dog walkers filled the park, but nobody appeared to give the itinerant tree-dwellers a second glance.

This article has been revised to reflect the following correction:
Correction: December 1, 2010

An article on Nov. 13 about twin brothers who had been sleeping in a tree in Central Park misidentified the type of tree. It is a European beech, not an American elm.
A version of this article appeared in print on November 13, 2010, on page A1 of the New York edition.

Hylyx

Reaction score
Neat! thanks for the suggestions everyone, I do have a sleeping bag, so I think sleeping in the park might be for me. Just hafta find a hole that the pigs won't find me. I;ve heard they are super strict lately. :(

ChessHead

Reaction score
Here is a thought, if we can get enough people together we could rent a room in a hotel in NJ or Queens for like 120...split six ways that is $20 a head. LOL. The cheapest thing I have found in NYC is the Vigilant Hotel and it looks rough as hell with bed bugs and all, the other option appears to be the White House Motel which comes to $45 a night. Personally I am wondering if is possible to rent a storage room for 150 a month! and actually be able to get away with sleeping in the thing. I have not seen too much on this technique....

ChessHead

Reaction score
What about the storage shed idea ? If you could get away with for only a few nights it would be worth it. If you could do if for a month you would feel like king daddy ding dong. Just dont get locked in the thing. That would be bad.

tobepxt

Reaction score
Website
wastedlandz.tumblr.com
What about the storage shed idea ? If you could get away with for only a few nights it would be worth it. If you could do if for a month you would feel like king daddy ding dong. Just dont get locked in the thing. That would be bad.
i wouldnt know, but hey im sure you can find a place like that and get a tour to figure out if its do-able... cause ya know... most storage places ive seen lock from the outside..

Monica Danger

Reaction score
My concern about sleeping in a storage unit is that it probably isn't well ventilated. I could see breathing being a bit of an issue. Also, aren't storage units usually metal? I'd bet it would be super hot in one.

Driftwhistler

Reaction score
Yeah, look for the medics of OWS. They've always got good info and I've seen them even open up their own places to kids tripping face. Once. This kid was having a real bad trip and either one of the medics or one of their friends ended up taking him home with them. Whatever. Anyway. I have family out in NYC, so unless I forget to hit them up before its real late, I'm usually set if I has money for the subway.

Mongo

Reaction score
If you can find it there's a place called jazz on the villa up in harlem it's between 10 to 15 bucks a night plus I think they have a work program, where you work so many hours out of the week and the stay becomes free. The only downside is there are 10 people per room.

iSTEVEi

Reaction score
Found this thread on couchsurfing that you might be interested in. (You need to be logged in to read it) - http://www.couchsurfing.org/group_read.html?gid=697&post=11980840#post11980840 .

It reads:
there's a vacant two-story 1,800 sq. ft. single-family house with running water sitting on 1/10th of an acre in Northeast Brooklyn, among many other abandoned properties. It has been warehoused off the market for five years and, although it is in fair to good condition, the house is currently unsecured (open) and is at risk of becoming a blight on the neighborhood if it deteriorates further due to vandalism. If left in this condition, it will ultimately be torn down. I am interested in securing the house, and working on improvements, including growing food and building a workshop for alternative energy, sustainability, bicycles, etc. I would respond fastest to a private message.

Message the guy on CS if your interested.

Reactions: Stinkyyy

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads