Best spot to camp west coast | Squat the Planet

Best spot to camp west coast

ElNayshon

Reaction score
I am taking a few months off in a week to live out of my backpack and be with nature. I was thinking about the Sierras however Yosemite is on fire....

Where is the best spot you have ever camped?

Reactions: Juan Derlust

dubh

Reaction score
Website
feirmeoirsonrai.me
usually within a short hike, depends on your spot, it's washington the water falls from the sky :). put out a tarp and catch all the water you need, and then some. oh, yaeh, lotsa water. if you hike up peabody creek trail the trail is well on a creek. but seriously, even up in the foothills 3 miles up Hurrican Ridge road, I had/have 2 fiva gallon water containers that I would fill at a creek about a ten min hike. Olympics have glaciers and lotsa melt, especially since everything is melting.

D

Deleted member 16701

If you end up going to Port Angeles there's this old dude who lives right off Discovery Bike Trail who lets cyclists and travelers stay on his land for free and feeds them pizza from his pizza oven. Its somewhere between Agnew and Port Angeles and theres signs at his driveway. I've stayed there twice now. His name is Lonnie.

D

Dayoldpizza

I was tossing in the air for august port towsend and angles on the washington penninsula. Heard the parks & dowtown areas are really into artsists musicians alike.

dubh

Reaction score
Website
feirmeoirsonrai.me
Port Townsend is very artistic tolerant in the canned liberal ideal of art: impressionism. However, there is a really cool infoshop that welcomes travellers in the midst of this yuppie liberal mini-mecca, right downtown. Port Angeles is much more blue collar logger type of folks, but they do have a couple really good coffeeshops that have lotsa plugs one is across from the Safeway and next to a bike shop that has really good service and not to expensive, on Lincoln st. If you head there from Olympia you can get there easy for around 10 bucks on public transit, take a bus to shelton, then a bus to brinion then a bus to port townsend then a bus to sequim then a bus to port angeles. There is also a Safeway by the bus station in Port Townsend if you are on food stamps. I always planned my meals by that.
On wednesdays in port angeles the methodist church by the library has a free meal, last time I was there. Also there is a cheap hostel if you have a few extra bucks with a cool keeper.

roughdraft

Reaction score
I would think Port Angeles would start winter really early and this time of year would be cold and wet. I could be wrong though.

as far as winter that far north it's pretty much your best option along with Medford/Roseburg/Ashland areas.

it also depends on the year. you ''''could'''' have a nice September and October relatively free from rain. as far as cold bro....the interior is what gets *cold*

head a bit further east Sequim is in the rain shadow

D

Deleted member 22937

I live up this way and it probably doesn’t get really bad as far as weather until late fall
I squatted an actual campsite on Whidbey Island in Coupeville, especially on weekdays it’s really quiet and private and no one checks to see if you actually paid for your site. If anyone wants the location, let me know.

Last edited:

ElNayshon

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for giving your favorite spots. I’m going to look back at this thread and try to go to as much spots mentioned as I can when I return to the mainland this spring. I have heard and seen a lot of great things around port Angeles.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads