Best spot to camp west coast

Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Big Island, Hawai’i
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
I am taking a few months off in a week to live out of my backpack and be with nature. I was thinking about the Sierras however Yosemite is on fire....

Where is the best spot you have ever camped?

Snorting Nitrons

Fragrant Vagrant
StP Supporter
Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Bum Feed
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
I recommend closing your eyes and tripping over a rock. You'll land in one.

Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Phnom Penh
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Theres a pretty dope spot outside bishop off buttermilk rd. Pinyon pines and nice rock formations also a creek flows nearby but im not sure if it is still runnin this time of year.

Juan Derlust

Formerly 'palmazon'
Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Limbo
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
North fork Feather River above Whiskey Flats or Butte Creek above Centerville or further up highway 32. Apparently Redding environs is pretty much ablaze at the moment. The area I mentioned is Lassen foothills - I had a lot of great camping experience there, but Snorting Nitrons is absolutely correct: pretty much ~1 hour's drive from wherever you land you can find hideaway wilderness. Last I heard, Tuolumne Meadows is still open & that is some fantastic country.

Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Hayward,Ca
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Pretty much stay out of the Sierras and northern Nevada rn. It’s fucked, smoke so thick you can’t see anything.

Juan Derlust

Formerly 'palmazon'
Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Limbo
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Also plenty of spectacular shit here down in socal - depends on your preference

dubh

Rambler
Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Berlin, Germany
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
this is way north but olympic peninsula port angeles, wa 3 miles outside town your lost in wilderness sparsely populated easy hike into town.

roughdraft

Vagabond
Lifetime Supporter
Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Qosqo, Peru
Reactions
97% 1% 2%
@dubh is right about Olympic you can't go wrong there

you may also wanna try out Rogue River & Umpqua Valleys in SW Oregon; not too far from I-5 and 101.

OP
OP
ElNayshon
Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Big Island, Hawai’i
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Pretty much stay out of the Sierras and northern Nevada rn. It’s fucked, smoke so thick you can’t see anything.[/QUOTE
this is way north but olympic peninsula port angeles, wa 3 miles outside town your lost in wilderness sparsely populated easy hike into town.
Any water near

dubh

Rambler
Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Berlin, Germany
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
usually within a short hike, depends on your spot, it's washington the water falls from the sky :). put out a tarp and catch all the water you need, and then some. oh, yaeh, lotsa water. if you hike up peabody creek trail the trail is well on a creek. but seriously, even up in the foothills 3 miles up Hurrican Ridge road, I had/have 2 fiva gallon water containers that I would fill at a creek about a ten min hike. Olympics have glaciers and lotsa melt, especially since everything is melting.

Threads
Reactions
Current Location
knoxville 10isee
Website
www.instagram.com
Reactions
98% 2% 0%
My favorite camping place in cali is called cowboy camp. Its a BLM spot in the middle of nowhere near Clearlake, CA. Shows up on freecampsites.net

D

Dayoldpizza

I deleted myself
Peoples park berkley. Boom.

ToadStuff

Rambler
StP Supporter
Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Marysville, Wa
Reactions
92% 2% 6%
If you end up going to Port Angeles there's this old dude who lives right off Discovery Bike Trail who lets cyclists and travelers stay on his land for free and feeds them pizza from his pizza oven. Its somewhere between Agnew and Port Angeles and theres signs at his driveway. I've stayed there twice now. His name is Lonnie.

D

Dayoldpizza

I deleted myself
I was tossing in the air for august port towsend and angles on the washington penninsula. Heard the parks & dowtown areas are really into artsists musicians alike.

dubh

Rambler
Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Berlin, Germany
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Port Townsend is very artistic tolerant in the canned liberal ideal of art: impressionism. However, there is a really cool infoshop that welcomes travellers in the midst of this yuppie liberal mini-mecca, right downtown. Port Angeles is much more blue collar logger type of folks, but they do have a couple really good coffeeshops that have lotsa plugs one is across from the Safeway and next to a bike shop that has really good service and not to expensive, on Lincoln st. If you head there from Olympia you can get there easy for around 10 bucks on public transit, take a bus to shelton, then a bus to brinion then a bus to port townsend then a bus to sequim then a bus to port angeles. There is also a Safeway by the bus station in Port Townsend if you are on food stamps. I always planned my meals by that.
On wednesdays in port angeles the methodist church by the library has a free meal, last time I was there. Also there is a cheap hostel if you have a few extra bucks with a cool keeper.

OP
OP
ElNayshon
Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Big Island, Hawai’i
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
I would think Port Angeles would start winter really early and this time of year would be cold and wet. I could be wrong though.

roughdraft

Vagabond
Lifetime Supporter
Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Qosqo, Peru
Reactions
97% 1% 2%
I would think Port Angeles would start winter really early and this time of year would be cold and wet. I could be wrong though.
as far as winter that far north it's pretty much your best option along with Medford/Roseburg/Ashland areas.

it also depends on the year. you ''''could'''' have a nice September and October relatively free from rain. as far as cold bro....the interior is what gets *cold*

head a bit further east Sequim is in the rain shadow

Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Sequim, WA, USA
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
I live up this way and it probably doesn’t get really bad as far as weather until late fall
I squatted an actual campsite on Whidbey Island in Coupeville, especially on weekdays it’s really quiet and private and no one checks to see if you actually paid for your site. If anyone wants the location, let me know.

Last edited: