Best place to spend Winter in Canada

steelcitybrew

Reaction score
erright

Looks like im gettin out of here sooner then later.

So Im trying to figure out the best place to go for the winter. It'd be nice to be able to find some work for the winter, got nothin here, but im mainly just trying to beat the cold.

I was thinking vancouver, but now it being blown up as fuck and pushin out the homeless or whatever their doin for the olympics, I have no clue where to head to.

Id prolly just make camp somewhere hidden in the woods or something, not really a concern

Maybe Victoria?

I dunno

I need some first hand experience,
Any help would be ace

cheers
steel

dirtyfacedan

Reaction score
I disagree Arrow, Vancouver is pretty warm in winter, Vancouver, and the lower coast isn't like the rest of Canada. Vancouver winter temps are about the same as Portland. Brew, I wouldn't worry about being pushed out of Vancouver because for the fucking winter games...that's just what they want you to feel. If you do decide to come to VAncouver, you'll do just fine. Just be sure to bring a rain slick..we get a fuckload of rain...it is very fucking wet around here, makes the trees grow huge.

kai

Reaction score
yeah being from the westcoast and having lived in Guelph for a winter I can honestly say victoria can't be beat in the winter. I went from minus 30 in guelph to walking around in a tshirt in victoria in the middle of january. Don't let the man get you down west coast will be fine even during the games. Also there is all the gulf islands and the sunshine coast to choose from. Also the gulf islands and sunshine coast will probably be more conducive to a winter squat than Vancouver or Victoria but those towns are full of places you could get a cheap couch at or closet or something.

dirtyfacedan

Reaction score
Be sure to let us know...we'll go for beers, sidewalk slams...

skunkpit

Reaction score
hornby island has the best fuckin free store ever,
its just this clearing on a property and shacks with sorted steel electronics cloths shit so much good stuff
ill be around southern bc this winter, should link up sometime mayhaps

kai

Reaction score
yeah I'll be in the kootenays, okanagan and on the coast/island all winter in southern bc also. don't drink but I know where the good dumpsters are at!

steelcitybrew

Reaction score
Awesome, id be down as hell to meet up with you guys

It actually looks like ill be heading out in about a week and a half

Im heading out with a friend, I still have to get my pack all ready.

Hey would you guys recommend bringing a tent or I have a water proof poly tarp?
I cant figure out which would be smarter to bring for the weather we might be hitting

cheers,
-Ryan

steelcitybrew

Reaction score
hornby island has the best fuckin free store ever,
its just this clearing on a property and shacks with sorted steel electronics cloths shit so much good stuff
ill be around southern bc this winter, should link up sometime mayhaps

no way, never heard of such a place, ill have to check 'er out, were tryin to figure out some places to check out, is that where you kick it?

kai

Reaction score
hornby has the nicest beaches in canada but it's a tourist hell hole in the summer. Should be fine right now though, as for a tarp or tent, bring whatever you want for the winter or what not but right now I am in Osoyoos and the weather is like 30 degrees. It's supposedly record breakin high's all across the prairies too. I say check out the gulf islands and if you're up for it, take the south route from medicine hat/dunmore (you can hop it or hitch it the HWY is #3 or crowsnest) and make a pit stop in the kootenays and then go to the coast from there.

steelcitybrew

Reaction score
hornby has the nicest beaches in canada but it's a tourist hell hole in the summer. Should be fine right now though, as for a tarp or tent, bring whatever you want for the winter or what not but right now I am in Osoyoos and the weather is like 30 degrees. It's supposedly record breakin high's all across the prairies too. I say check out the gulf islands and if you're up for it, take the south route from medicine hat/dunmore (you can hop it or hitch it the HWY is #3 or crowsnest) and make a pit stop in the kootenays and then go to the coast from there.

bad ass bro, appreciated.

Im gunna check this route on my map tonight and mark it out. thanks bro

-Ryan

Mor

Reaction score
I gotta agree.
Head through the Kootenays for sure.
All kinds of hot springs and rad little towns. There isn't any better place to camp when it's cold out than at a spring.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads