Any advice on going to Europe? Can you be houseless traveler as in USA?

DregeDE

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Are there juggalos in Europe?
LOL!
What about money? I was under the impression that most all countries wanna see you bring money and they wanna know the reason for your visit and where you will be staying I could see that - get off plane "and whats the purpose of your visit to our counrty?" "I'm gonna squat and spange and hitch hike and maybe ride some of your freight trains" *DEPORTED - reason: BUM AND LOOSER*
My brother was denied access to the UK cause he had not enough money, they put him right back on a plane headed back to the states. Also what about if you have an american criminal record?
A felow member of this site told me that I needed like 2000$ for the plane + a passport . . . and shes in south east Asia.

DregeDE

Banned
Reaction score
But then again my brother is 6'5" mowhawk, tatoos from head to toe (face tats too) and ears stretched to over 3 3/4 inches and his wife at the time looked like Lily Munster with stretched ears and tats - I'm sure they scared many a tourists and locals in Heathrow Airport.

barefootinbabylon

Reaction score
What about money? I was under the impression that most all countries wanna see you bring money and they wanna know the reason for your visit and where you will be staying I could see that - get off plane "and whats the purpose of your visit to our counrty?" "I'm gonna squat and spange and hitch hike and maybe ride some of your freight trains" *DEPORTED - reason: BUM AND LOOSER*
My brother was denied access to the UK cause he had not enough money, they put him right back on a plane headed back to the states. Also what about if you have an american criminal record?

I was also wondering about this... Both of these queries, actually - both the money issue, and the criminal record issue. If anyone would be so kind as to advise us, that would be glorious. :)

Thoreau

Reaction score
Website
zinelibrary.info
I was also wondering about this... Both of these queries, actually - both the money issue, and the criminal record issue. If anyone would be so kind as to advise us, that would be glorious. :)

I dont know about the criminal issue, but in money, well if you just bring like, 200€, that should get you like 1 week in a 3 star hotel or something maybe say your here for a festival or something.
You should also be better of flying to a Schengen space country, wich is basicly the whole europe except Britain and Ireland. When you get onto one of these you can go any country withouth borders or ID check, yet you have to be identified when entering britain. These countries maybe have less requirements, go to portugal, we love turists, and we lack americans

454px-Schengen_Area.svg.png

If Romney gets in here I am leaving. Alot of America has become uptight about anyone houseless. Its become so corporate. Losing my mind here anyway...why not try another culture?

Never Sell Out

Kabukimono

Reaction score
Yup, no problems. Personally done so and currently doing so - know people who are also currently living like this. No problem what so ever. Just be yourself and keep doing what you do :)

Enjoy! :)

Are there juggalos in Europe?
Yes there is.

K.m

Critical Rupture

Reaction score
As most people have pointed out, Europe is an easy place to travel as a bum. Languages issues maybe sure, but it is generally more liberal and accepting than, say, the US. I'm not sure I could say that about the UK though, or at least England. English speaking countries tend to share the same globalised schism. but yeah, continental Europe, the countries in the Schengen agreement (immigration agreement, that encompasses most of EU, but not UK). Crossed out of this area, means you will go through customs, like if you go to the UK - which is probably the least liberal country in western Europe. I would not recommend a bum to fly there, as you may get denied/deported. When flying into western countries, as a bum, you always want to aim for poorer/more relaxed countires. But then again, the really easy get around that is the ... what do you call it...? Onwards flight or whatever? It's like, there are multiple countries in the EU or Schengen, so if you fly into one, but have an onward flight to another country within that area, the immigration will usually just wave you on through. For example, I flew from Toronto to Amsterdam, via Reykjavík (Iceland). I got to Iceland, and they asked me how long I am there for, "Like an hour?" I replied. Stamp. Well, after seeing my ticket for an onward flight to Amsterdam. It's like, why would Iceland immigration care about me since I'm going to the Netherlands? It's not their responsibility anymore. But when I get to Amsterdam, I already have my Schengen stamp from Iceland. I'm legal already mafucka.

Booyaa!

Anyway, Europe, is mostly rich, so easy to be a western traveling bum. Lots of excess/surplus/waste. Hitching is really popular. There's a legal hitching spot in Amsterdam, and one in ... some city just outside of Berlin I think? But there are heaps of hitching spots all over with quite a few people already there when you get there. It's just plain fucking easy, except for waiting in line! Don't hitch on the highway though, onramps, etc, to avoid fines. Well, I guess petrol station etc are very popular for hitching too. Well in the US, it was so fucking hard for me not to get arrested for hitching!

Even though the laws are changing, there are still alot of squats around. Especially in London, Barcelona, Amsterdam. The first two are really good to be a bum in general, at least to live in. Though I think London is a bit harder (esp nowadays), Barcelona is pretty crazy, but more lawless, so more chill for being a bum. Just crazy competition at the bins. Some cities in Europe suck for dumpstering. But some places, like Berlin, is really cheap, and has alot of housing projects. Like Kopi, the fucking punk palace, haha.

And of course, alot of fucking punx! Everywhere! but especially, Berlin, Spain, etc.

Dunno if I'm missing anything, but yeah, have fun!

ps oh, Schengen is 3 months for whole area. If you wanna be legit, you can cross out of there and come back in. Obviously England a tough border, so there's Morocco, or Eastern Europe or further east etc. There's heaps of working visas you can get, depending on your nationality. A Canadian would have more options than an American though I reckon. But with all this western privilege (like if you are white, or simply your western passport), western countries (or any country, generally) don't usually care if you overstay. Especially in Schengen. I think they care more about Africans and Arabs etc more. I know alot of people from, especially the US, who have overstayed in the EU for years. Again, England is much harder...

• Useful
Reactions: Naomi Leigh

lkz

Reaction score
Lots of good advice in the message above me.

BUT the bit about using the Moroccan border its fucking terrible advice, Id hate to think what it would be like with a US passport, I reckon teyd do their best to get you straight back on that ferry and back to Spain.

Its THE toughest border in europe. Its where most european hash comes from. Its where alot of south americans smuggle coke to before europe. Its even got smack from the mid east going over the borders. The guardia civil sink the boats n leave the fuckers to drown but thats another tale.

I heard a guy with dreads got searched on the morroc border cos they didnt like the look of him. They claimed they found a speck of weed in his shoe and slung him in jail for it. The King rules over there. No fucking rights.

Only use the border if you actually want to go to morroco, dont just use it to skip out of the schengen. try and make yourself look like youve got money, you wont get hassled.

morrocans wont get the whole "self styled bum" thing. If they see a crusty westerner theyll think your a fiend.

I lived in sight of morroco on the southern spanish coast for years, the morrocans, for the most part, are great people, just dont fuck with their police, and make yourself scare during ramadan.

peace

Reactions: landpirate

Kabukimono

Reaction score
Though I think London is a bit harder (esp nowadays)

I agree with most of what you say, apart from that. London has a shite loads of squats... like seriously stupid amount of them!!!!

Its where alot of south americans smuggle coke to before europe.

Very little coke comes through Morocco. Maybe 10/15 years ago ... but still, not much. It all comes into Europe through Spain ;)

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
you don't normally need a visa is you have a USA passport and want to enter the UK. However, if you have a criminal conviction in the UK or another country the UK Border Agency website recommends that you apply for a visa. It also states that the criteria relating to whether you will be allowed entry to the country are:

• you are 18 or over;
  • you intend to visit the UK for no more than 6 months (or 12 months if you will be accompanying an academic visitor);
  • you intend to leave the UK at the end of your visit;
  • you have enough money to support and accommodate yourself without working or help from public funds, or you and any dependants will be supported and accommodated by relatives or friends;
  • you can meet the cost of the return or onward journey; and
  • you are not in transit to a country outside the 'Common Travel Area' (Ireland, the UK, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands).
You must also be able to show that, during your visit, you do not intend to:
  • take paid or unpaid employment, produce goods or provide services, including the selling of goods or services directly to members of the public;
  • do a course of study;
  • marry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnership;
  • carry out the activities of a business visitor, a sports visitor or an entertainer visitor; or
  • receive private medical treatment.
This is the link to the website:​
I can't really comment on entering the UK as a foreigner as I was born here, but I had the same concerns as some of you when i travelled to USA. I just made sure i wore smarter than my usual clothes and that I looked clean. I think anything you can do to avoid any extra interest from immigration is a good idea.​
hope some of that helps.​

DregeDE

Banned
Reaction score
Hell yea, you captivate my wanderlust - I alwase wanted to go somewhere where my USA foodstamp card wouldn't work (NOT MEXICO)
I'd probably bum around a little while, maybe get some jobs here and there but eventually I'd find a place where there was some work, fair weather decent expenses good natured people and settle down, marry into the country.

Thoreau

Reaction score
Website
zinelibrary.info
I'd find a place where there was some work, fair weather decent expenses good natured people and settle down, marry into the country.

marrige laws for foreigners are being slowly changed, sometimes now you have to be married for like 2 years or something before you get to be a citizen, along with other requirements.
becouse lots of people done that, they paid to get married and allowed to stay in (not saying you want to do that), next day - divorce. so when you add good amounts of pitty theft and human exploration networks, laws change

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
marrige laws for foreigners are being slowly changed, sometimes now you have to be married for like 2 years or something before you get to be a citizen, along with other requirements.
Residency comes with marriage though, so if you find someone to marry you, you can live and work in their country, while you work on getting naturalized (if you care enough to have citizenship, not much point, other than a new passport..)

lkz

Reaction score
I agree with most of what you say, apart from that. London has a shite loads of squats... like seriously stupid amount of them!!!!

Very little coke comes through Morocco. Maybe 10/15 years ago ... but still, not much. It all comes into Europe through Spain ;)

Well im speaking from what Ive seen Ive met plently of moros whove smuggled hash and coke for promises of EU residency. Guardia Civil sink their boats and half drown the poor fuckers before they scoop em out.

Looks like youre right "In 1997/98, Spain and the Netherlands accounted for 63 per cent of all European seizures"

lkz

Reaction score
dunno why the quote above went grey

Hell yea, you captivate my wanderlust - I alwase wanted to go somewhere where my USA foodstamp card wouldn't work (NOT MEXICO)
I'd probably bum around a little while, maybe get some jobs here and there but eventually I'd find a place where there was some work, fair weather decent expenses good natured people and settle down, marry into the country.

hang on a sec? so in the US you get given a food stamp card that works anywhere in the US? So you can legally travel and claim benefits?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads