Any advice on going to Europe? Can you be houseless traveler as in USA?

R

RO71

I am talking about being a poor American citizen...and FEMALE. Is it possible to just land over there and start squatting, urban camping, hitch hiking and if necessary- pan handling? With NO former experience of overseas travel. No contacts. And no family who will care if you get into some weird sh*t over there. I have heard it was easier especially for women over there to hitch and travel but what are the attitudes towards traveling..er 'homeless' people especially foreigners? (sorry I had to use the dirty H word. But that is how authorities are going to view it, or a 'vagrant' or 'transient', all really annoying and inaccurate labels.)

If anyone has tried this give me you experiences. Also take into account I am not 20 so its not cute anymore according to some societies. Its downright mysterious to many people as by now I am supposed to have had children (eww) or have a house etc. I became a traveler later in life. Tell me I want to KNOW what its like over there.
And make it NOW post Bush not before becuz Ive heard that there are some places Americans cant go due to anti-Bush sentiment.

Thanks!

HUMANCONTRAST

Reaction score
I'd say yea. My brother did it last summer, He landed i n new Dehli, India and hitched all the way to the eastern coast of Europe. He told me people are alot nicer out there and more willing to give you a ride. I mean some countries didn't like it as much as others. In Paris, He told me he pitched his tent right on the side walk in down town and no one seemed to mind. I don't really have more information than what he told me. I don't know if it would be any different being a girl though.

Reactions: Naomi Leigh

soapybum

Reaction score
Europe is great for traveling, its a lot more socially accepted and some countries even have designated hitchhike spots. I met a guy from latvia a couple weeks ago and he traveled all over europe for the last few years before he headed to the states for a bit.

Menyun

Reaction score
Living abroad came from europe did it not? they started the whole socially accepted drifter concept

E

Earth

Europe rules, actually - I'm starting to believe that anywhere outside of this continent is good.
People here are too damn uptight about everything, while Europe is more open / liberal......
Just curious though, whats your defination of poor?? I didn't think poor people could get on line.

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Europe rules, actually - I'm starting to believe that anywhere outside of this continent is good.
People here are too damn uptight about everything, while Europe is more open / liberal......
Just curious though, whats your defination of poor?? I didn't think poor people could get on line.
There are lots of alternative cafes where you can get online for free. Also, libraries.

astephen5

Reaction score
I'd say yea. My brother did it last summer, He landed i n new Dehli, India and hitched all the way to the eastern coast of Europe. He told me people are alot nicer out there and more willing to give you a ride. I mean some countries didn't like it as much as others. In Paris, He told me he pitched his tent right on the side walk in down town and no one seemed to mind. I don't really have more information than what he told me. I don't know if it would be any different being a girl though.

The east coast of Europe, wow where's that?

P.S RO17 if u pitch a tent in the centre of almost any major city in Europe u will be huckled by the police, unless ur involved in some sort of anarchist protest movement ...

astephen5

Reaction score
U will be fine if u just have a sleeping bag and are on the street but they won't allow u to pitch a tent, otherwise every bum on the continent would have a £10 one man tent. Here in Scotland if ur on the street in a sleeping bag and the police come across u they will give u details of homeless shelters etc. and usually imply that u can get a bed for the night (though most of the time u actually can't), but other than that they will leave u alone. And this is one of the stricter countries when it comes to foreign rough sleepers (the authorities here have a legal obligation to find a permanent home for bums who have an established local connection ie were born/living in the town). U shouldn't loiter in tourist areas whilst looking like a bum during the day as there are laws against this in most countries.

blackcat

Reaction score
Yes, you should definitely go. Hitchhiking is very common and you wont get hassled by the cops (i have never been). almost every one speaks English, and particularly in Northern-Europe.
Their are a lot of squads, and i'm sure if your not to sketchy and explain yourself you'd be able to crash for few days in most places.
If your going to be in Belgium i could hook you up with some info of where to go.
As far as camping goes, i don't think they will let you pitch a tent in urban areas.
I'm sure people know that not all Americans are bad and will treat you as an individual.

Good luck!

barefootinbabylon

Reaction score
I had €1.30 or something when I got here. Havent spanged once.

Cardboard, you're my heerrrrooo,, man! I would looovvee to hit up Europe sometime, but it's going to take a while, given my current circumstances... I'm a juggler, and would love to find another cirkus-person, either State-side or there, to busk around a bit with. Haha I wonder if they'd let me bring my juggling knives over there?!? Doubtful. :\

Agni Riniari

<(-.-<) ^(-.-)^ (>-.-)> ^(-.-)^ <(-.-<)
Reaction score
Cardboard, you're my heerrrrooo,, man! I would looovvee to hit up Europe sometime, but it's going to take a while, given my current circumstances... I'm a juggler, and would love to find another cirkus-person, either State-side or there, to busk around a bit with. Haha I wonder if they'd let me bring my juggling knives over there?!? Doubtful. :\

From the U.S. to Europe, if they are in your checked baggage, you should be fine, unless they have implemented a size restriction, but I sort of doubt it.

Now, coming back is a bit different because the local laws might restrict the transportation of any kind of weapon on a plane, whether it is checked or not. I had to end up mailing myself my knives and junk from France when I fly out from Paris. So, just be prepared for that, I guess.

- Agni

lkz

Reaction score
Hitchhiking varies by country but generally not too hard, skipping or dumpstering as you lot call it is plentiful. It would be a mistake to say its easy or difficult to be houseless in Europe; its a continent with a lot of different cultures and countries in it. Pan handling would be easy in the UK, whereas in Romania the locals probably wont take kindly to you doing it.

DisPanik

Reaction score
Easy to sleep almost everywhere. My boyfriend and I slept in parks, in the city everywhere around belgium, france, holland and ireland.
People were nice too and when it was raining they wanted to take us in their home. They gave us food and beer everywhere. Such nice people there

Sydney

Reaction score
Website
www.sunnywar.com
I ride a uni-cycle! lets start a circus!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads