a housie and being ashamed?!

liz79

Reaction score
You're a fucking pussy, stay on the road or get the fuck out of the way. Real punx never house-up! I wanna be buried under I90 somewhere so I'm ALWAYS on the goddamn road!

thats the shit that no one wants to hear, the kind of shit that makes people feel like crap for being housed up. just because youre housed up doesnt make it wrong, its not like youre gonna turn into yuppie scum or anything. being housed up helps you to stay sane sometimes. i know i would go crazy if i lived my entire life on the road. do what you think is right, if you want to be housed up then go for it, if you want to go out on the road then do it, just remember you can always go back to doing one or the other if you feel the need to do so.

E

Earth

Very good Liz!! Yeah, folks need to do what's right for them and fuck those who judge other's for their way of living, as the CRASS model of Anarchy was to do what you want to do, be who you want to be - as long as no one or nothing is being harmed / hurt in anyway... To an extent, I still live by this motto, to an extent I don't. I had to end a very dysfunctional situation with someone who ONLY wanted to be on the road, and just freeload... That's fine, that's her choice - and G-d Bless Her - but she had no right telling me that my way of living was wrong. Yeah, I may (on the outside) appear to live in a house, but it's a recording studio, somthing I've spent the last 35 years dreaming about and aquiring everything I needed to make it happen, including - gasp - a structure to house it - and a straight job to keep it (and the gallery) up and running. While it's been dormant for almost 8 years now (with the exception of jump starting it earlier this year) my studio is my life, and without it I could never be who I am...

So, to the person who's un-sure of being off the road: You need to do what your heart tells you to do, and fuck everybody else.

liz79

Reaction score
thats the kind of thing you might want to actually let people know youre joking about, otherwise everyone will take it the wrong way. =/

Mike Nobody

Reaction score
Website
mikenobody.com
Having been homeless before (not something I want to repeat), I don't give a fuck if someone thinks having a roof over your head is bad somehow. They can blow me. I've been gradually trying to assemble a little home studio to record in here, which is tough cuz it's an apartment. Well, an old motel converted into apartments anyway. If I ever get the resources to do so, I'd buy a house in a heartbeat so I wouldn't have to deal with keeping the noise down as much. A little farmhouse out in the middle of nowhere would probably be perfect. I'll save the travel adventuring for the tours.

M

Mouse

Jesus christ, do what you want to do and be happy. The kids who talk shit on people with jobs and houses are fucking morons.

omg thank you for saying this. So tired of people limiting themselves because of what they think other may judge them as... it's simply not punk rock to think that way, damn it!

Xavierr

Reaction score
There's no shame in it. Most of us have probably had apartments at some point. I hate when people try to talk to groups of us or me when im travelin acting like they're livin on the streets of that city to because they think thats the only way to get respect. If youre a chill/fun person idc if yer a housie you can hang out lol

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Probably 90% of the crusty traveller kids I have known, still end up housed up at least once a month, if not more. They are all piled in at a friends place, or leaching off of some contact they got at a bar... Just remember that now is your opportunity to give back, and if you have money and a place, dont be selfish with it. You have a kitchen, make FnB, you have a shower, invite street kids over for a beer and a shower. If people make fun of you for being a "housie", chances are they are just making some bullshit to feel better about their own shitty lives. I live in a fucking luxury apartment right now, in a quiet village in the Sierra Nevadas. I have fucking marble floors. I have a Jacuzzi. Any of you want to say I am not punk enough, hitch hike your happy ass to Spain and show me how hardcore you are.
Really though, this reminds me of an episode of the sarah silverman show I saw some years back, try to find it if you can. Sarah decides to be a bum, because some old guy at the park tells her how great the life is. In the end, he admits that lying to himself everyday was the only way he could stay alive. I could really relate after quite some years of hobo travel...

Vonuist

Reaction score
Website
trashwiki.org
I'm living in a house right now, it came with the job. I'm quite looking forward to being warm this winter and running water has still got months of novelty value left in it. I was in a cave before this and hope to be buying a boat with the proceeds of this job.
It's all part of the adventure.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
hell no...i don't pay rent and i can grow my own pot for when i do hit the road again.....sounds good to me

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
Ok, so, honest question for people who feel house guilt, or street kid pride, or whatever this shit is all about...
If someone is a real squatter (i.e. someone who is illegally occupying a house) as say, compared to some sort of fashion squatter, who squats their mom's basement, does said "true squatter" lose punk points for being a housie? I mean, beside land squats where people are camping, doesnt one have to more or less be a housie to be a squatter? And isnt this forum about people who do just that? Maybe I am confused by the name, but "squat" the planet doesnt sounds like the name of a forum for people that are against living in houses...
"Hey, look at the housie over there, squatting that house! Fucking house, your not a real punk!"
"Yeah, next thing you know, you're going to work like a real fucking oogle, and fix the plumbing. Soon as you know it you'll be showering!"

mandapocalypse

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I've been housed up, started a super DIY self sustainable punk house in a town where there isn't much happening for the punk/diy lifestyle. Birmingham fucking Alabama. What the fuck. It's challenging, which is what I like... But I've been here for holy shit, 9 months now. My wander lust is aching really bad!

I just get mad anxiety and this overwhelming sense to leave, constantly. Every time I see/hear a train or see someone flying a sign or someone busking downtown I get a little nostalgic.

The thing is, is at any point I can choose to leave. Right now I know this is the best thing for me. Gotta' do whats best for you!

Hobacalypse

Banned
Reaction score
omg thank you for saying this. So tired of people limiting themselves because of what they think other may judge them as... it's simply not punk rock to think that way, damn it!
Sometimes it takes more then just yourself to be happy, Everyone has thier own personal obligations to fulfill that willenhance there life, personally i couldn't give two shits about anything when i have good friends and family with me,.... However when you do get great minds together in a constructive building enviroment thier views will change to wider topics.

xACABx

Reaction score
Fuck what anyone says about you being a "housie". If you're happier this way then that's what counts. Don't worry about it buddy.

Hobacalypse

Banned
Reaction score
Just don't let it take complete copntrol of your life, Seperate your livelihood into different sections so that you can experience it all.

For the past month i've been a homebum oogle, My first time and it fuckin' sucks, I just sit around and drink beers while i watch these kids read comics and do nothin' No music no journals no writing nothin' just plain old ooglin whatev's though 1 month aint all that much time unless i'm about to die.

codeth

Reaction score
ive been settled down for a little while now. staying with one of my buddies and his family renting out the attic. its pretty great. used to sleep in a car in there garage on rainy shitty nights before they knew me more haha was good times. still is. their good people.

trash diver

Reaction score
To each his own.when we judge people,we create a distinction between our selves and them,its easy to dislike a person because they are different. remember natzi germany?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads