a housie and being ashamed?!

Tanner

Reaction score
So here is the story. traveled, hitched, hopped, squatted blah blah blah. Then this winter i did something different. I went to Cali and did the harvest and made some good money. I didn't really know where to go after that so i just hitched to my home state and town. I had a good chunk of change so i decided to rent a room. So now i am living in a back room of an apartment. i bought a laptop and a newish banjo. Its cool and all but i really feel like a shit head for getting a place. like im selling out or something..... but then again its kinda nice having a place. i still dumpster my food, but then again i do buy groceries now and then. been living here for about a month and a week. Its weird. i guess i just need to get used to it. Any of you had this problem before?

MrD

Internet SuperHero
Reaction score
Website
www.sometimesmotion.com
time to cash in them punk points.

on a serious note, when I got back to my home town this past winter and started school it was a huge culture shock. I still do not know how to interact with "regular" people. I think it takes allot of getting used to for most of us. Its an entire other world from what I was used to.

Alaska

Reaction score
Dude, don't worry about it. We go on with life. Do what ya wanna/gotta do. Take the knowledge you have and apply to it to your new life. It doesn't matter. It really doesn't.

Either way, yer a fucking oogle...

:p

coolguyeagle76'

Reaction score
no regrets dude, i was doing pretty much the same thing this winter. everyone can suck it. being a slave to the road is the same as being a slave to the state. do what thou wilt and define freedom and punk and being gnar for yourself. dont sweat this shit bro.

Reactions: Alley Dredd

RideMoreTrains

Reaction score
it does not really matter.

i have taken long hiatuses with traveling and settled down. nothing wrong with it and i think its even necessary. being on the road or a 'squatter', bum, etc. takes a toll. i like to get off the road just to unwind. i do my unwinding in Kentucky. i got a little place on my bros farm and in exchange for the property work for him part of the year, and travel the rest. my body just can't handle life on the road year around anymore too. i like to travel and i also like life OFF the road too. the anarchists wont like to hear this but i like working. we all get the itch to travel when were off the road but why can't you enjoy both worlds? you don't have to feel obligated to be on the road or feel bad for settling down. we don't stay 19 forever.

• Useful
Reactions: Alley Dredd

augi

Reaction score
dude the kids who talk shit on us kids who need a break no matter how long or short are oogles and street rat home bums, who never been no where at all. i got a little girl nowand i'm proud to be living inside and have a little spare cash. NO CASH MUDDA CHUKKAS!! so ya dude u aren't breaking any sacred rules or codes in some secret society for street kids

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I've never left home for very long, but after 8 months of travel I found I just had to get to it. Except that I never totally did get use to what I left behind. Hence I am in a different city, in a smaller space, and doing life differently. Nonetheless, I am renting in a rooming house and attending university of my own will. Just make sure you do as another poster said, use what you learned to make sure that the domestic life is meaningful and rich. Props to you, man.

Reactions: miklo
M

Monkeywrench

Tanner, I did the same shit in Richmond. Now I'm here, paying rent, still dumpstering, turning into the housed up dirty kid that everyone's using like a Hyatt. You need me to come out to Utah and rage it?

Heron

not very crusty
Reaction score
Website
tracklabs.net
Jesus christ, do what you want to do and be happy. The kids who talk shit on people with jobs and houses are fucking morons.

yas. anyone who'd begrudge you for that is dumb anyway and if you're comfortable with it, what else do ya need? if yer not comfortable with it, do sth else! :D

Uncle Mom

Reaction score
Website
www.freedirtfilm.com
I house up every winter. Not ashamed, just smart. Too old and tired for winter. If you're ashamed of living in a house then you must be really self-conscious. Nothing wrong with it at all. Who else is going to let me sleep on their floor/take showers/chk my email.... HOUSIES!!!!! THANK YOU FOR WHAT YOU FOLKS DO!!!!!

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
A few years ago it seemed like there was always at least one of my traveling friends posted up in some traveler city (pdx, nola, philly, ect..) who's place we'd blow up with sleeping bags and dogs until the lease wore out or we got evicted. We all kinda took turns being the one holding down a job and lease. The idea that posting up is something to be ashamed of is ridiculous. Being able to generate the income to post up takes a lot more effort then spange, drink, repeat.

FawnDroke

Reaction score
Why would anyone be ashamed of being able to pick themselves off the streets and actually work and earn the shit they get?

I traveled all last summer and spent this winter in fucking Avon Colorado, you know - the ritzy ass ski town? I was surrounded by rich fuckers who disrespected me everyday just because I looked weird to them. I couldn't get a fucking job because I had too many facial piercings, dreads, and tattoos. And my guy had to cut his dreads off just so he was able to get a job.

But now since we put ourselves through that we are able to buy ourselves over 20 acres of land in Oregon so we can live the rest of our lives outside of society.

There is nothing wrong with earning shit.
Too many traveling kids expect to just be given things from society, and that's not how it works.

rusty

Reaction score
I house up every winter. Not ashamed, just smart. Too old and tired for winter. If you're ashamed of living in a house then you must be really self-conscious. Nothing wrong with it at all. Who else is going to let me sleep on their floor/take showers/chk my email.... HOUSIES!!!!! THANK YOU FOR WHAT YOU FOLKS DO!!!!!

so true, i met some amazing people in my travels. people who've done it all and are giving back. if you've got a roof over your head and your bored house some travelin kids :)

stove

Reaction score
You're a fucking pussy, stay on the road or get the fuck out of the way. Real punx never house-up! I wanna be buried under I90 somewhere so I'm ALWAYS on the goddamn road!

Reactions: bryanpaul

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads