10 most overrated "rock" bands of all time ?

paddymelt

Reaction score
keep in mind i said overrated, wich doesn't neccisarily mean worst. And keep in mind i am a sarcastic sonufabitch sometimes.

Here's my list and why:

10. Coldplay. Sorry but has a more luke warm, bland, homogenized band ever existed?

9. Metalica (their later career merits only disgust)

8. U2 (its a beautiful day is probably the phoniest song i ever heard. of course its a beautiful day when you are a kajillionare. it would be different if a blind quadropalegic with sars wrote and sang that song. Anyone besides Bono and i might actually be inspired, but when friggin Bono sings it i just feel insulted.)

7. Kiss (sure their lunchpails were cool- but their music? come on!)

6. Pearl Jam (hey i wore flannels back in '91-'94, still do when its cold sometimes, but i cant for the life of me understand why anyone would ever buy a pearl jam album.)

5. Lenny Kravitz (this guy really creeps me out- like if i had a 14 year old daughter and he was alone in a room with her, im pretty sure he would try to do her. dudes just too greasy- and not in a cool way like bacon is greasy, or pizza or some 50's street punk is greasy. Dude is bad greasy like astroglide)

4. Phish (who can actually sit and listen to one of their entire albums start to finish? i know one guy who can and if he asks me to play hackey sack with him one more time ill sock him in his smiling face.)

3. The Greatful Dead (not even when i did tons of drugs was this music enjoyable)

2. The Doors (ill admit- i liked them when i was 11 and didn't know shit- but i was over it by 12. yeah i found out having long hair and smoking weed didn't get me laid like i thought it could. i blame jim morrison)

1. The Beatles. (Bands today most often site the beatles as being their biggest influence. Not to dismiss their pop song-writing ability it is observable that the beatles' "sound" was entirely derived from American blues, rock and r&B. Lets face it, the beatles were a bunch of unoriginal biters who only succeeded in paving the way for a multitude of commercial teeny bop boy bands. Bands today would be better off checking out the beatles' musical influences than continually labeling the beatles as the be-all-end-all. And that reminds me, I think that stalker-turned-assassin, Mark David Chapman, was right: Lennon WAS a phony. "All we need is love," really? We need more than that homeboy. And I'm also sick of all the 60's generation shit-heads saying they changed the world and shit. maybe they changed advertising and marketing but the world is the same. Vietnam is still raging, we just traded the jungles for deserts. but i digress. Again, in my opinion the Beatles are a huge reason why we have so much commercial rock and boy bands and all this gawdawful pop music today. think about it the next time you hear your beloved band in an elevator, the supermarket, on a car comercial...thats where pop and rock bands today want to be.)

ok i'm sure some people may not find this post interesting, they may in fact feel indignant that i've named a band or too that they like but whatever, opinions are like assholes and i know my ass stinks too.

So what I'd like to know is, what bands do ya'll think should be added to this list and why?

menu

Reaction score
Im a dead fan. but its def not for everyone. but I can agree with most fo the rest

macks

Ballsy Adventurer
Reaction score
Website
macksemil.wordpress.com
I like a few of the bands you put up there (the dead & the doors), but I have to say that it was really awesome to see that you put the Beatles as #1. Glad to see someone else thinks they are overrated!

BanMatt

Reaction score
Led Zepp overrated ? You crazy
I hate lists like these cause people always put the same bands. I agree with whoever said left over crack. I will add to the list too
The Misfits, Danzig (people in IN and surrounding states still go ape shit over "mother") and GG Allin. Christ If I hear one more kid sing one of his songs... I DID like some of the above bands songs but christ after years of listening to them on my own account and getting worn out naturally, then hearing people sing the songs like they're the best thing since sliced bread got really old. Gosh darn damn redundant son.
I've gotten some shit for openly stating the comment out GG. I know it's a risk saying something negative about some people's idol but it amuses how much some "tough" guys covet him. Like listening to a 12 year old girl defend the back street boys.

paddymelt

Reaction score
"like listening to a 12 year old girl defend the back street boys" Hahahahahahahaha!!!!! Well said sir! And thanks for articulating why those bands should be added. Have to say i agree with you on GG and Danzig being pretty damn over rated but I was kinda gearing this list thingy toward mainstream "rock" bands. Speaking of redundant, I'd do an "over rated punk/alt-rock list" but that would open the door for a stupid debate on the definition of "punk rock" and I just don't have the patience for that shit.

lobotomy3yes

Reaction score
Well I think a lot of metal bands are really overrated, so I'll throw some in there too.

In no order,

Pearl Jam- Who the fuck listens to them. Of those people who do, who the fuck likes them?

Metallica- Totally agree with you here. Dude is so whiny in a drawl sort of way. Personally the only metal I can listen to with clean vocals is sludge.

Bon Jovi- Goddddd he hurts my ears.

Strapping Young Lad- I FUCKING HATE THIS BAND. I want to kill Devin Townsend. Dude thinks he is so metal and he sucks fucking possum nuts.

Sex Pistols- B-A-D bad. OMG DID SID KILL NANCY?!? Who the fuck cares, he killed himself and good riddance.

Nirvana- I don't hate their music. I am not particularly fond of it, but I don't hate it. But god why all the hype? They were ok. Grunge is just watered down punk for people with the money to pay $100 to see a show.

Smashing Pumpkins- I just find them all around obnoxious.

Disturbed- OOO-WA-HA-HA-HA. Enough said.

-Anything stoners adore. Sublime, Hendrix, even Bob Marley. Some of it isn't bad, but can you be more stereotypical. Sheesh.

paddymelt

Reaction score
Well I think a lot of metal bands are really overrated, so I'll throw some in there too.

In no order,

Pearl Jam- Who the fuck listens to them. Of those people who do, who the fuck likes them?

Metallica- Totally agree with you here. Dude is so whiny in a drawl sort of way. Personally the only metal I can listen to with clean vocals is sludge.

Bon Jovi- Goddddd he hurts my ears.

Strapping Young Lad- I FUCKING HATE THIS BAND. I want to kill Devin Townsend. Dude thinks he is so metal and he sucks fucking possum nuts.

Sex Pistols- B-A-D bad. OMG DID SID KILL NANCY?!? Who the fuck cares, he killed himself and good riddance.

Nirvana- I don't hate their music. I am not particularly fond of it, but I don't hate it. But god why all the hype? They were ok. Grunge is just watered down punk for people with the money to pay $100 to see a show.

Smashing Pumpkins- I just find them all around obnoxious.

Disturbed- OOO-WA-HA-HA-HA. Enough said.

-Anything stoners adore. Sublime, Hendrix, even Bob Marley. Some of it isn't bad, but can you be more stereotypical. Sheesh.

bravo man! that's a fukn list!

trystero

Reaction score
smashing pumpkins, really? (anything after machina doesn't count as smashing pumpkins anyway)

all else i agree with. a long list of classic rock: led zeppelin, the beatles, the doors, the who, rolling stones, ac/dc, aerosmith, and anything along those lines.

q: what's worse than 9-11?
a: 311

BanMatt

Reaction score
Yeah people act like The Smashing pumpkins doing an album is like the second coming. That get's a "really? really dude?"

Kalalau

Reaction score
10 limp bizkit
9 sublime
8 sublime
7 sublime
6 sublime
5 sublime
4 sublime
3 sublime
2 sublime
1 gg allin

I don't even know where to begin, with my contempt for sublime. I can't even think of one good thing to say about thtem, and people still play that crap, and talk about how awesome it is. honetly I wish heroine boy would a died of an aneurism 5 years before his crap band. It's been no end of annoyance since they came out... yah..

limp biscut.. yeah.. pretty much self explanitory

#1 is gg allin. I wear a gg allin shirt every day, it helps weed out the retards. Someone comes up to me and says "fuck yeah GG"... and they're instantly disregarded as a human being probably thinking that spitting a cockroach into someone elses mouth or drinking their own piss makes em punk... gg sucked at life. and he sucked at music... watch some of his jerry springer stuff.. he's one hair away from being a baboon. If I wanna watch someone jackoff and fling poop, I go to the zoo and watch the chimps. because they have small cocks, too and they can fling poo with grace.. and if a chimp tried to come kick your ass you'd end up faceless (google it).. if GG came to kick your ass... you'd probably just end up with hepatitis. GG's whole thing was based on not giving a fuck.. and my whole thing is giving a fuck.. but still doing whatever I want regardless of the law.

BanMatt

Reaction score
#1 is gg allin. I wear a gg allin shirt every day, it helps weed out the retards. Someone comes up to me and says "fuck yeah GG"... and they're instantly disregarded as a human being probably thinking that spitting a cockroach into someone elses mouth or drinking their own piss makes em punk... gg sucked at life. and he sucked at music... watch some of his jerry springer stuff.. he's one hair away from being a baboon. If I wanna watch someone jackoff and fling poop, I go to the zoo and watch the chimps. because they have small cocks, too and they can fling poo with grace.. and if a chimp tried to come kick your ass you'd end up faceless (google it).. if GG came to kick your ass... you'd probably just end up with hepatitis. GG's whole thing was based on not giving a fuck.. and my whole thing is giving a fuck.. but still doing whatever I want regardless of the law.

Good idea with the shirt.

xbocax

Reaction score
No Particular Order

Lower Class Brats (truley unoriginal)
Leftover Crack (mehhhhhhh)
Morrisey (sounds like kermet the frog and is a piece of shit)
The Doors (Junkies that never did shit for anyone or anything)
Slipknot (mehhhh)
The Locust (shoulda jus stuck with charles bronson and holy molar)
Bikini Kill (poster band)
Le Tigre (annoys the shit out of me)
No Age(maybe this is only in LA?)
Tegan and Sara (just to have 10)

trustno1

Reaction score
10 limp bizkit
9 sublime
8 sublime
7 sublime
6 sublime
5 sublime
4 sublime
3 sublime
2 sublime
1 gg allin

sublime is the worst. my list would have sublime for every number... ever.
or i might add bloodhound gang. one might argue "theyre not THAT popular", but since every second of every song is completely unlistenable, if more than the band members themselves own their records, they have to be overrated by definition.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads