10 most overrated "rock" bands of all time ?

RedJem

Reaction score
I think Tim Armstrong is pretty overrated.
Anything he does gets a golden coat from the rattlecan and placed up on everyones mantle.
Have you heard 'LA River'? Jesus Christ, he needs shoulda quit making music a long time ago.

lobotomy3yes

Reaction score
#1 is gg allin. I wear a gg allin shirt every day, it helps weed out the retards.

This. Is so full of win.

And yeah, Tim Armstrong is terrible. I hate Rancid. Maaaan, the list of punk bands I hate. The Casualties, The Exploited, The Ramones, Anti-Flag. GOD it is all so terrible. Oooo and NoFx. NoFx is godawful. Why do so many people like this shit?

One thing I really hate is when someone starts talking to me about music and claims to like what I like, and then lists off really terrible bands that have nothing to do with what I like. Total boner kill. It's like "Oh who's that you are listening to? Catharsis? Sounds pretty good. I totally got to see Bad Religion the other day." *Facepalm*

I gave this neighborhood kid a ride to get smokes the other day and I was playing like Agoraphobic Nosebleed or something, and he starts talking about metal and how he likes what I like, and then starts talking about Bring Me the Horizon.. BRING ME THE HORIZON!!! Or as my friend calls them, "Bring Me the Hairstraigtener."

vegetarianathan

Reaction score
(No particular order of bands that haven't been mentioned yet)
10. Lamb of God
9. Nirvana
8. Godsmack
7. Linkin Park
6. Dave Matthews Band
5. Ozzy Osbourne
4. Rolling Stones
3. Tool
2. Elvis (he was famous for being outrageous in that time period, not for his shitty music)
1. GREEN DAY

A few of the punk bands that were mentioned really are pretty horrible, but some are good. What I hate is when they actually do become overrated and get fanboys/girls that see a Leftover Crack or Choking Victim shirt and flip shit over how awesome it is. There's a difference between enjoying the music, and obsessing over it. Most of the people who do obsess over it only do because they think they're super cool if somebody sees them listening to NOFX like they're sooo hardcore. Its like stupid little scene kid pricks that ask what I'm listening to, and I'll say something like Cannibal Corpse (who themselves are overrated but I like their older stuff) or Vomiturition, and they'll be like "Oh yeah, I love that band, they're so brutal. Do you listen to Whitechapel?" at which point I tell them to fuck off.
I don't know if I made my point or not, but I hope I did.

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I appreciate this thread, because most people unquestioningly worship these bands/wear their t-shirts they bought at hot topic, simply because that's in, and if you're anybody as a rock fan, you will know that. i don't know that, though. I was not around when most of these bands were "blowing minds," and my mind is definitely not being blown right now. Sure, I can appreciate some artists that these originals had a part in inspiring, and I can appreciate the fact that they were responsible for stuff today, but I don't even have to like them OR listen to them. In fact, I still maintain the right to think they are shitty and boring. Obviously, I don't bother people this day to day, because I'm sure I'm just another shit-eating fly, like everyone one. Here is my list, in no order (because I haven't had enough time to waste on them enough to know which ones are the worstest of the worst):

The Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
Metallica("wwwwah!")
AC/DC
Tool/anything with James Maynard Keenan in it
Foo Fighters/anything with David Grohl in it -- especially Probot!
Radiohead (Not gonna lie, I don't mind the music, it's just painfully overhyped)
...you get the rest.

Alaska

Reaction score
Anything on regular FM "rock" radio channels. Hinder, Trapt, Nickleback and Shinedown, oh my. Only extreme fratboy douchebags and rednecks seem to find it pleasurable, and somehow find a deeper sense of meaning behind the horrid lyrics. I am very proud to say I don't share that mindset.

Metallica, which could be included in the above. Don't like any of their stuff. Zip. And even if I really tried to like Kill Em All, Hetfield's vocals are among the shittiest and most pseudo-machismo-celebrating sounds I have ever heard. I'd rather hear that wannabe "kvlt" piece of shit Dani Filth try to do opera than ever have to hear Hetfield's vocals. Man, Metallica pisses me off.

Megadeth. Classroom politics are AWESOME. It's just like Star Trek, but less cool.

Much more, but I kinda just used this thread to get some anger off my chest. A bit better now.

Amish

Reaction score
i think the entire genre is a waste . some are good musicians and i can appreciate them but for the most part out of everyone listed id have to say that Nirvana is top on my list of overated bands

though i dont listen to anyhting like rock/metal maybe the stuff i listen too have roots in those genres and well the closest i do listen to is bands like the horror pops , reverend horton heat, necromantix, ect

1 nirvana
2 slayer
3 megadeath
4 metalica
5 manson
6 left over crack
7 danzig
8 afi
9 nofx
10 HIM

and i was a big smashing pumkins fan, then they broke up, then there was zwan then there was billy corgans solo career (if thats what you wanna call that) and of course theyre back together, it would be a good thing if they were making any good music but..... they arent
same with tool , tools done and over with and over rated, i like a perfect circle and puscifier its better then keenans original shit
same with NIN the newer stuff is better then the older shit cause he aint ripping off skinny puppy

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
ahaha this thread is awesome. I think the thing is the bigger the band the more they appeal to the lowest common denominator. I have to add a few songs I fucking hate too the list...one is "sweet Caroline" FFFFFFUUUUUUUCCCCKing hate this one for the same reason I fucking hate "take a load of Anne". Every god damn drunk fuck at karaoke or some party has to sing it at the top of there lungs - with that drunk as tone...and when people sing it in groups.... ten times fucking worse.
If I could kill the writers of those two songs I could die in peace.

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I seen that Nickelback vid before. Pretty hilarious. On the other, throwing rocks at anybody who is performing, ever, is pretty rude and stupid to do. I don't even care how much the band sucks.

Wizey, that's exactly how I feel about Ride a Horse Save a Cowboy, or whatever the heck it's called. Pretty much, all those songs that shitty bar bands cover and get paid to play to drunk people are dumb. These are the bands that get hired to play at socials/parties. Also, Sweet Home Alabama should be banned.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads