which boots? | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

which boots?

OutsideYourWorld

Reaction score
Website
outsideyourworld.wordpress.com
They're nice looking boots, but generally quite stiff, and would kill after long term walking, I think. I actually have a pair of the same brand as the first in those pictures. They are comfy, and would be good for slower paced hiking but I can't imagine long distance in them.

Of course if you wear such boots (and proper fitting ones!) long enough, and soften the leather with neatsfoot or mink oil, they could be alright. Back in the day there weren't so many other options!

For the price, however, you can pick up much comfier things. The British army uses Meindl "desert fox"boots (Meindl being an awesome brand), which are a soft suede material. Great for walking, though i'm sure they would die before these vintage ones would. These days things aren't made to last!

D

Deleted member 9332

They're nice looking boots, but generally quite stiff, and would kill after long term walking, I think. I actually have a pair of the same brand as the first in those pictures. They are comfy, and would be good for slower paced hiking but I can't imagine long distance in them.

Of course if you wear such boots (and proper fitting ones!) long enough, and soften the leather with neatsfoot or mink oil, they could be alright. Back in the day there weren't so many other options!

For the price, however, you can pick up much comfier things. The British army uses Meindl "desert fox"boots (Meindl being an awesome brand), which are a soft suede material. Great for walking, though i'm sure they would die before these vintage ones would. These days things aren't made to last!
Alright, thank you for your input, i probably won't be picking up a pair as i do already have a couple pairs of boots, but i don't have anything that heavy duty and i wouldn't plan on using them for more then a few day trip. I'm also honestly not a fan of soft suede boots like that as they break a little fast for my taste, as well as from the price i've seen online are pretty expensive. Im sure you could make a pair of heavy duty boots last for years and years if you fix them properly and take care of them. I'd prefer to have to buy boots as un-often as possible tbh.

OutsideYourWorld

Reaction score
Website
outsideyourworld.wordpress.com
Well i'd say if you frequent thrift shops or check craigslist often, you could get a really good deal. And haggle!

You are right on the suede. I posted up a vid of what my suede boots looked like after two years being on the road, and yea I never experienced such destruction ever before. Comfy as hell, but yea, they aren't so strong.

I'm kind of eyeing up red wings for my next boots. Lovely looking things, heavy duty, and good old fashioned unlined leather. I'm not the biggest fan of synthetics or all those things with vent holes or semi leather/semi synthetic. And I hate goretex linings.

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
but i don't have anything that heavy duty
No real experience here but instead of vintage hiking boots I'd look for contemporary military boots used by infantry or alike (when "style" is not important). I guess they do constant research to build cost effective, but comfortable, reliable and robust boots using new materials.

Art101

Reaction score
Problem is as the boots have gotten better they last longer and have noticed the surplus stores are getting 50 plus for them now,not to mention they arent exactly dark colors anymore lol....at least in the US

scrutable

Reaction score
I have a question that's very on topic, so im not gonna start a new thread for it. Has anyone had experience using vintage mountaineering or hiking boots for traveling? i've seen them all over the place online for like $75, and they're kinda cute looking, i'd just like to hear about people's experience with these. I'll provide pictures for reference.
View attachment 18146 View attachment 18147
Vintage mountaineering boots or solid european hiking boots are excellent, there are certain caveats with that statement though: They take a while to break in, they're really warm so ideal for winter or alpine conditions but terrible for warm weather, they take ages to dry if they get soaked, they're heavy and not so good for ballet and parkour.
That's a lot of cons, but they are great in many ways, look after them and they'll last forever. Get Italian boots if at all possible.

Last edited:

Art101

Reaction score
Ilook for those boots at thrift stores and never seem to be able to find any lol but my first riding boots were beastly old hikers and they lasted forever.If I remember correctly they gotten stolen finally.They were warm as hell and could take a licking and keep ticking.

Rob Nothing

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Every brand has new styles every year and some of them are shit and fall apart, others will last and prove to be worth the money. West Coast predominant brands I typically look for: Danner, Timberland, Caterpillar. Steel / safety toes and soft. I stay away from the goretex if I can, because I find them less breathable and my feet get drenched from sweat.

My feet are everything, and I am always ready to spend every dime I have for a sturdy and comfortable pair of boots.

Art101

Reaction score
My riding boots. I got these second hand and still going strong
20150610_203336.jpg

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads