which boots?

Dandylion

Reaction score
Website
dandyyylion.tumblr.com
I have a pair of nevados boots, they're really comfy but they aren't waterproof at all. I know even if they were a little waterproof they'd still get wet cause they're that mesh breathable material. My boyfriend and I are gonna be hopping out to pennsylvania in a week or so and i want some different boots. Preferebly leather. I've been looking for docs all over the place but the only thing i can find are the clunky low top docs. I want something like combat boots. Any of you guys want to suggest some good waterproof boots that will hold up with walking? I hate wet feet so i will appreciate any suggestions.

Dmac

Reaction score
danners, best boots made. i have had a pair sinse 1987. still going strong.

Reactions: landpirate

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Don't do docs, they fucking suck now. They look good but don't last for shit. If you want boots you should invest in something that will last you forever.

Reactions: West and landpirate

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
I agree with Matt about Doc's these days. they are shitty quality as they now make them in china.

I managed to get a second hand pair of Danner Acadia's on ebay for £35 ($54) still a bit of money but they had barely been worn and as dmac66 pointed out they last forever. Might be worth a look, I know I got lucky but there are deals like that if you've got an address you can get them delivered to.

If not army surplus combat boots have always worked well for me. I could get a worn in pair for £10 ($15) that would last a year maybe 18 months before the sole fell off. I am currently rocking a pair of Berghaus gortex boots that set me back £100 ($154) financially I am crippled but my feet love me. Spend as much money as you can afford is I think what I am trying to say as you don't want fucked up feet for the rest of your life.

If you can get a fancy pair of boots for nothing then I commend you!

Reactions: West

DesertRat

Reaction score
I have a pair of Hi Tec patrol boots (model: Magnum) that are 15 years old, were beat to hell and back daily for 12 of those years, and are still going strong. Cost me $80, but I was looking for something I could do everything in.

Dmac

Reaction score
as others have said, spend as much as you can for good foot gear, you will not regret it.

Art101

Reaction score
I scored a second hand pair of redwings and those boots are indestructible and comfy. I used hubbard boot grease on them and they are still waterproof after 5 years.

Mongo

Reaction score
I just started wearing hi tecs this year pretty awesome boots for the price. I used to wear Altama combat boots but walking becomes a pain in those even with inserts.

Ferryn

Reaction score
You can snag some hiking boots from a sporting goods store pretty easily. I'd stick with the big brands like Keen and Merrell. I've got 2 pairs of Clarks, I love the look. However, they're town boots, definitely not suitable for long distance.
They can be hard to find, but I got a pair of Sorel 1964's and they're amazing. They insulate well, are comfortable for long treks, and also look great.

Just be careful stealing from places that sell guns, usually they're on their game.

DesertRat

Reaction score
Heads up: For those who have access to Amazon, right now there is a huge sale on certain models of Blackhawk! brand boots (the kind that troops overseas opt to purchase and wear all day, every day instead of their issued boots).

Starting at about $30 and free shipping.

Just thought I'd share.

• Useful
Reactions: West and Ferryn

OutsideYourWorld

Reaction score
Website
outsideyourworld.wordpress.com
I had a pair of Danners rough out goretex boots for the past two years of hitchin' around Europe. They DID last, but barely. They were basically in pieces by the time I got home... Comfy as hell, though. for my next pair of boots, I WILL be getting made in USA/Canada/Europe. Enough Asian-made crap that breaks way too soon.

I'm looking at Red Wings for my next pair. Ditching the goretex (takes too long to dry and my feet get sweaty pretty fast), trying to go for full leather and waterproofing/conditioning the old fashioned way. Making sure the soles can be replaced.

D

Deleted member 9332

I've had a pair of White's for a couple of months and i have to say their design is a+, idk how old they are though because they're second hand but they've held up with a lot of skateboarding in them (you really shouldn't skateboard in work boots lol) and massive amounts of walking. I treated them with some diy leather balm i made and they took it really well and got a nice darker color to them. the only real problem i had was the insole that i got them with was leather, and it kinda hurt my feet so i just tossed a gentler one in and they were fine. I've even stepped in some big puddles and not gotten wet at all, and only gotten a little damp when i walked in the rain for a few hours.

West

Squatter Fodder
Reaction score
I wore my docs for 6 months on the road, and I'd used them regularly for a year before. Mine were the old Made in England kind that kids love...

Can't say I liked wearing em. They're not kind to the feet like good hiking boots, shoes. I think they're fashion boots as Matt said. Some kids really like em though and I'm sure they have had better luck than me with em.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I can vouch Redwings...loggers for the comfort level being excellent on a high steel toe boot.
Gonna be a while till I see how durable they are.

D

Deleted member 9332

I have a question that's very on topic, so im not gonna start a new thread for it. Has anyone had experience using vintage mountaineering or hiking boots for traveling? i've seen them all over the place online for like $75, and they're kinda cute looking, i'd just like to hear about people's experience with these. I'll provide pictures for reference.
il_570xN.697024049_svx9.jpg il_570xN.692244691_s53k.jpg

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads