Where to winter? (Busking, camping, rubber tramping) | Squat the Planet

Where to winter? (Busking, camping, rubber tramping)

void gaze

Reaction score
Once my harvest season work is done here in the NE, it’ll be mid December and I’ll probably want to go somewhere warm as possible with my pay, maybe a car, definitely an instrument. I’m thinking about places in the SW , probably CA or AZ , that I either haven’t been to in a long time or didn’t stop in for long: Tucson, San Luis Obispo, Austin, Bisbee??? Anywhere that it isn’t too bad to camp or squat and making a few bucks with music is a possibility. What do y’all think? Thanks!

Romanriff

Reaction score
Arizona is gonna be perfect during the winter but from what I've seen out there, there's not too much of a scene out there. LA might be a lil colder during the nights but you're definitely gonna find a good scene out there

marmar

Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Tuscon is not bad to sleep at night in November, warmer then say 200 miles north it's pretty damn cold. Desert climate makes the nights extremely cold. I've never been to Austin. New Orleans would be your best bet for a squat but can be dangerous if you're white and don't know ur way around, the squatable areas of Nola are black ghettos pretty much and you are expected to buy drugs around there or GTFO if ur white. I'd try Florida as I heard from many travelers it's pretty good in winter, but I haven't tried it.besides key West once and it seemed super blown back in probably 70s, idk lots of antihomeless signs everywhere as no parking no sleeping no breathing and shit so don't go to key West. North of Florida like St Augustine or St Petersburg could be good though. LA as suggested above is terrible idea imo, it's overstuffed with street living people, and not traveller type. hell it looks like third world country I was just there a couple months ago and it was pretty horrible to witness I wouldn't wanna go winter there as a traveller

• Dislike
Reactions: Desperado Deluxe

sydaavicious

Reaction score
I don’t know about that, I’m a white chick squatting in New Orleans in the lower ninth and maybe it’s just that I’m particularly tough but, like, probably not- and I’m fine-? but I would say that yeah, it’s blown out with other travelers and homeless folks- you won’t make any money flying a sign or busking here so you’d need a different way to earn money if those happen to be things you lean on to get by

• Agree
Reactions: WanderLost

texastraveler

Reaction score
Once my harvest season work is done here in the NE, it’ll be mid December and I’ll probably want to go somewhere warm as possible with my pay, maybe a car, definitely an instrument. I’m thinking about places in the SW , probably CA or AZ , that I either haven’t been to in a long time or didn’t stop in for long: Tucson, San Luis Obispo, Austin, Bisbee??? Anywhere that it isn’t too bad to camp or squat and making a few bucks with music is a possibility. What do y’all think? Thanks!
only spent much time in SLO and Austin, SLO can get chilly in wintertime, but has the ocean and all the perks associated with not being texas, also way better public transport. Austin's cool, there's a lot of shit to do and see, great culture but it's Texas. I'd rather spend time in SLO just because it's got the ocean and so many great cities within a reasonable distance. there's some parks and shit around SLO that you could camp in, austin has some cool areas too. busking would be good in either

vibrate9

Reaction score
Arizona is gonna be perfect during the winter but from what I've seen out there, there's not too much of a scene out there. LA might be a lil colder during the nights but you're definitely gonna find a good scene out there
ive heard tucson is pretty good (currently in sedona but headed to tucson very soon bc sedona is quite cold at night) or venice ca has a great scene of vagabond, hippie types, and while its also slightly cold some nights its super manageable compared to most other places, if you decide to head to az lmk maybe we can link, regardless peace & love & safe travels my friend

WanderLost

Reaction score
Tucson is great for weather in the winter. I always stay here atleast part of the season. In my experience its not that great for making money but its doable if you really want to.
Slab City is a nice visit during the winter too. I would say no to san diego cuz its not good for "homeless" people.
Louisiana is good but the weather fluctuates more than tucson. One week itll be warm and the next freezing balls. Thats just what i experienced not too long ago and was backed up by a local.
Theres also el Paso, east texas, and northern Florida. I wouldnt go too far into Florida though. Its not worth it.
And if you wanna meet up with other travelers nolas always good.

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
Slo is def wack. Don't expect to stay long here services are really limited shits expensive and people are generally unfriendly. Have an escape plan. Buses are pretty cheap and it's easy to get around. I definitely recommend not being stationary if you head to CA. It's nice passing through but if you stay anywhere any length of time your bound to get screwed around.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads