Where to winter? (Busking, camping, rubber tramping) (1 Viewer)

void gaze

Lurker
Current Location
Massachusetts
Once my harvest season work is done here in the NE, it’ll be mid December and I’ll probably want to go somewhere warm as possible with my pay, maybe a car, definitely an instrument. I’m thinking about places in the SW , probably CA or AZ , that I either haven’t been to in a long time or didn’t stop in for long: Tucson, San Luis Obispo, Austin, Bisbee??? Anywhere that it isn’t too bad to camp or squat and making a few bucks with music is a possibility. What do y’all think? Thanks!

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

Romanriff

Lurker
Current Location
San Fransisco
Arizona is gonna be perfect during the winter but from what I've seen out there, there's not too much of a scene out there. LA might be a lil colder during the nights but you're definitely gonna find a good scene out there

marmar

Current Location
New mexico
Tuscon is not bad to sleep at night in November, warmer then say 200 miles north it's pretty damn cold. Desert climate makes the nights extremely cold. I've never been to Austin. New Orleans would be your best bet for a squat but can be dangerous if you're white and don't know ur way around, the squatable areas of Nola are black ghettos pretty much and you are expected to buy drugs around there or GTFO if ur white. I'd try Florida as I heard from many travelers it's pretty good in winter, but I haven't tried it.besides key West once and it seemed super blown back in probably 70s, idk lots of antihomeless signs everywhere as no parking no sleeping no breathing and shit so don't go to key West. North of Florida like St Augustine or St Petersburg could be good though. LA as suggested above is terrible idea imo, it's overstuffed with street living people, and not traveller type. hell it looks like third world country I was just there a couple months ago and it was pretty horrible to witness I wouldn't wanna go winter there as a traveller

sydaavicious

Lurker
Current Location
New Orleans
I don’t know about that, I’m a white chick squatting in New Orleans in the lower ninth and maybe it’s just that I’m particularly tough but, like, probably not- and I’m fine-? but I would say that yeah, it’s blown out with other travelers and homeless folks- you won’t make any money flying a sign or busking here so you’d need a different way to earn money if those happen to be things you lean on to get by

texastraveler

Current Location
Texas
Once my harvest season work is done here in the NE, it’ll be mid December and I’ll probably want to go somewhere warm as possible with my pay, maybe a car, definitely an instrument. I’m thinking about places in the SW , probably CA or AZ , that I either haven’t been to in a long time or didn’t stop in for long: Tucson, San Luis Obispo, Austin, Bisbee??? Anywhere that it isn’t too bad to camp or squat and making a few bucks with music is a possibility. What do y’all think? Thanks!
only spent much time in SLO and Austin, SLO can get chilly in wintertime, but has the ocean and all the perks associated with not being texas, also way better public transport. Austin's cool, there's a lot of shit to do and see, great culture but it's Texas. I'd rather spend time in SLO just because it's got the ocean and so many great cities within a reasonable distance. there's some parks and shit around SLO that you could camp in, austin has some cool areas too. busking would be good in either

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

I caught a fucking cold at 2AM this morning, still sleepless...

I'm the Chairman of the Board.
MFB wrote on slaapkaamers's profile.
I hosted Lilith/@slaapkaamers for 3 nights in Nov 19.
She was an exemplary guest. Good w both conversing and alone time. Trustworthy, didnt steal anything and I felt very comfortable leaving her alone at my place. She didnt stink and not a junky.
Lilith is a legit traveller, she's a sweet, artistic chick w lots of good and interesting ideas to chat about. A pleasure to host. If she's in your neck of the woods you should help her out. 😉
I have a pretty good new squat in sfe but im leaving soon if anyone wants the keys lmk.
The peavine is gorgeous, I highly recommend that route.
Fucking winter snuck up this year
Damn It! I've been thinking and debating about applying for a position as an Amtrash locomotive engineer! They have openings for Salt Lake City, UT and St. Cloud, MN. I know I got to go through training but I'll be on call 24/7? There goes my sex life and night time weekend parties! Screw that, I'll play with my train set-No Pun=No Joke!
Made back up into Cincy for the weekend. Gonna chill with some homies before we head west for the winter..
'The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.' -Elie Wiesel

Members online