Video - Where all my bass guitar players at? | Page 4 | Squat the Planet

Video Where all my bass guitar players at?

MFB

Reaction score
*Lastly.

I think it should be said that this thread would have been nothing if I wasnt ghey enough to know Carosel by Blink off Chesire Cat.
Right?
and of course a shout out to @SouthernSammon for jammin it out for us!

D

Deleted member 13433

@Older Than Dirt does make a valid point: the difference between music today vs 40 years ago.

I was just thinking how I still really appreciate the music that I grew up with, stuff from the 1970s, 1980s... which is yeah, not only decades old but from another century !!

So, that makes me a fan of music that is 35 - 45 years old, which back then was new and fresh as I was hearing it for the first time, in real time....

To put it in perspective, if I was listening to music that was 35 - 40 years old in 1980, that would be like 1940 - 1945 !! and there is nothing similar to what was happening then vs the 70s and 80s.

But today, I see very little originality or difference between what was happening in the 1970s/80s, shit even the 1960s for that matter and today.

Favorite bass player from the punk movement ??

Jack Cassidy !!

Seriously though, for me - Steve Wishnia from the False Prophets - because he could do it all, and he is still playing to this day, gosh he's got to be at least 65 years old now, maybe even 67 !! and Steve is still the same person he was back in the day, he never changed and never strayed from his roots.

But for out right musicianship - Derf Scratch from FEAR
***Nobody played electric bass like he did.........***

Bruce Loose from Flipper.... Klaus from the Dead Kennedys, The Bad Brains bassist whose name escapes me at the moment, was it Daryl Jenifer ?? He opened a lot of doors, but so did the girl who played bass for The Slits, how about Chuck D from Black Flag/SWA ???
....and then there was also Andrew Wiess from GONE and Rollins Band, he was another truly original free spirit.

Alvin Gibbs, also Paul Slack [*both from the U.K. Subs....]

So hard to just pick one but honestly, nobody mentioned the greatest bass player of them all - Sid Vicious !!

*And yes, he played with a pick !!!

Older Than Dirt

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Got it, all generations subsequent to yours werent as cool

This sadly is mostly true. i taught college students from 1995 til 2010, and had frequent contact with them until 2013. A bunch of conformists little inclined to question society, with a few exceptions of course.

In reality, my generation was no better, and worse in many ways- sexism, racism, and homophobia were rampant in ways that they just aren't today. The vast majority of kids in the '70s-'80s were not listening to punk rock, they were listening to the Allman Brothers or the Greatful Dead or Wham! or some other awful shit. Most kids of my generation were a bunch of Quaalude-gobbling, Boone's Farm Wine-swilling, shit music-listening morons.

My '70s teen-ager generation took drugs at a higher rate than any previous or later generation. And were the most violent of any age cohort since the 19th century. And had higher levels of other crime, teen-age pregnancy and every other bad/undesirable/anti-social thing.

We were truly "The Worst Generation" (our grandparents were the WW II "Greatest Generation" you see). But we did invent punk rock, so we got that going for us.

As to you kids: The details vary from decade to decade, but most people are boring mindless sheep happy to eat whatever swill is currently being dished out, and dumb enough to ask for seconds.

But then there are always a few goats among the sheep, and this place is a good place to find them.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Juan Derlust

MFB

Reaction score
@Older Than Dirt I hear ya brother, I spose I'm a spectator to cultural things so I dont have an attachment to it or harsh opinions. I'd rather be in the mountains on mushies. I just really like music.

As always, pleasure to debate with ya. :)

• Haha

MFB

Reaction score
@SouthernSammon if you like slappin da bass Higher Ground is a really fun song to learn to play.

I recently taught myself Bohemian Rhapsody on the uke, thats a really cool song to learn for anyone that likes the uke.

• Love It

MFB

Reaction score
@Juan Derlust Too much trouble at the moment, it would take me 30 minutes and 10 attempts to get through it without fucking it up.Perhaps tom or the next as I am off.

However, I am realizing you requesting a lot of creativity for others but sharing little of your own. (sans gibberish :))
Perhaps you would like to share something other than a selfie of your big beautiful face?

• Agree

MFB

Reaction score
Nice pickle

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads