Video - Where all my bass guitar players at? | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Video Where all my bass guitar players at?

D

Deleted member 24782

Thank you everybody for turning this into a proper thread. Feels cool that it’s my post :)

now I just gotta find a way to get Matt to participate🤔

Well, there is a virus outbreak. Some of us have little extra time on our hands for online banter.

Regardless-CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Older Than Dirt

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
You kids, with your Blink-182, your Amebix and your Minor Threat- that's not punk rock, not like grandma used to make, that's kinder-punk, UK crust, and hardcore, respectively. Which, of course are kinds of "punk rock" (although i am pretty sure i have never heard a Blink-182 song, i am happy to keep it that way and take your word for it).

I have been into "punk rock" since 1975, which is about when that term was first used to describe any current music (as opposed to long-gone '60s garage bands like The Seeds and the 13th Floor Elevators).

So (obviously these are not meant to be complete lists, just my favorites/the bands that sum up a style/attitude, and yes i know some bands recorded earlier/later than this typology suggests):

PRE-PUNK: Velvet Underground, Lou Reed, Bowie, KISS, Mott The Hoople, World War III.

PUNK, MARK I (pre-'77): Stooges, MC-5, New York Dolls, Suicide, The Modern Lovers.

PUNK, MARK II, USA ('77): Ramones, Television, Heartbreakers, Blondie, Cramps, Dictators, Pere Ubu.

PUNK, MARK II , UK ('77): Sex Pistols, Damned, Clash, Sham 69, Generation X, Subway Sect, Alternative TV, Slits, X-Ray Spex.

POST-PUNK: Gang Of Four, Raincoats, Bush Tetras, Contortions, Public Image Limited, Birthday Party, The Fall.

HARDCORE, MARK I, USA ('80-86): Bad Brains, Black Flag, Minor Threat, Beastie Boys, Antidote, Urban Waste, D.Y.S., SS Decontrol, Vandals, Frontline, M.D.C., Cro-Mags

HARDCORE, MARK I, Rest of World: Amebix (UK), Varukers (UK), Ratos de Porao (Brazil), Terveet Kadet (Finland).

After that, i give up on classifying this history, but just wanted to point out "punk" is old (but as we know not dead, it just smells funny).

Maybe my favorite "punk" song if i had to pick one:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Juan Derlust

MFB

Reaction score
@Older Than Dirt, thing change old man!

When I was young Emo was Sunny Day Real Estate 😍 and the Cure. Now its.... I dont know... I think My Chemical Romance?

The labels are arbitrary imo.

Beastie Boys liscence to ill is so nostalgic to my childhood! So good.

• Agree

Older Than Dirt

Banned
Reaction score
Well, of course things change, i had actually noticed that by age 61, thank you. Notice the phrase "that's not punk rock, not like grandma used to make"?

And i suppose i was responding to Lupo as a hardcore-era guy saying "that's not punk, this is punk", so i had to do my "call that a knife? Now, this is a knife!" move.

As to Beastie Boys: I was speaking more of when they were a hardcore band, way pre-Licensed, and pre-Rick Rubin, with my late best friend John Berry on guitar, Kate Schellenbach (later of Luscious Jackson) on drums, the late Adam Yauch (MCA) on bass, Michael Diamond (Mike D) singing, and when Adam Horowitz (aka King Ad-Rock) was still playing guitar in The Young And The Useless.

A little known fact is that the name came from a pet-food store on Houston St. , Beastie Feast, with Boys being ironic since the drummer was a girl and it sounded tough, which they most definitely were not, and to have the initials BB, like their gods, the Bad Brains.

Here is their best song from that era, "Egg Raid On Mojo", from the Pollywog Stew EP . When they played this one, all 25-50 of us who made up the NYC hardcore scene at the time would mosh it up.

Mojo was the very very large black bouncer at a gay/trans/punk LES club called The Pyramid, and he wouldn't let them in one night, so they egged him. When i married my wife in 2001, John Berry (who wrote "Egg Raid") was best man, and Mojo was second-best man. They made sentimental speeches, and John ended his with, "And look what [Mrs. OTD] is getting!", and hauled up my kilt. My mom claimed she was looking at something else.

Miss him every fucking day; he died in 2016, after several years institutionalized with premature dementia. He is the one second from right in the Pollywog Stew pic. He claimed the reason he is cross-eyed in the photo is that "i was looking at a bug."

Last edited:
Reactions: MFB
D

Deleted member 24782

Wait for this BRUTAL drop!
unnamed (1).gif

MFB

Reaction score
@Brodiesel710
and I said.........................................biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttttttttttccccccchhhhhhh!

D

Deleted member 13433

I don't know, sometimes I have no opinion on music, other times it's all I think about.
I suppose I could say that I started noticing music around 1976, as far as bands like Gentle Giant, Yes, Led Zeppelin, all the obvious ones... but by I think 1977, man I got turned on to Iggy, I believe the song was called I Got My Cock In My Pocket, and before I knew I I had a copy of Raw Power in my hands [I still have that record !!]

By 1980, I really shifted directions, certainly by 1981... as that was the very last time I would return home back to W.Berlin, in E.Germany... and my life was changed forever.

Juju just came out, bands like Visage and Ultravox were really getting me excited, and once back in NYC, by December of 1982, I saw the UK Subs @ CBGBs and my life was changed forever.

Opening bands included The Misguided, The Mob, I recall seeing the Subs again - possibly 1983 - with The False Prophets opening, and I knew I was home.

Much of what Older Than Dirt states I can completely relate with.

I also knew some of the Beasties, but only loosely... from hanging out in front of CBs for the matanee shows, which were pretty much once a week.

The early 80s were for me a very exciting time to be alive, but by 1984 truth be told I felt let down.

A little known fact about me is 1983/1984, 1989.... I was part of a performance art project called Third Uncle.

We played at No-SE-NO which was 42 Rivington Street, back when that was still like the wild west... it was a wild time, as the Noise/Experimental music scene was still in full swing back then.

So I shifted gears and got into bands like The Swans and Sonic Youth, and then also bands like The Gun Club.

Eng Jr bring up Minor Threat, I saw them at Great Gildersleeves, with ARTLESS opening [*now they were a wild band !!!] and there was a major problem outside - the club was proofing, and I think the age just went up to 19 from 18 to drink, and I think I just turned 19 so I was good, but I remember this Greek punk just saying he's walking an and pulling down his pants to prove his age, I seem to think they let him in - but Ian stated if the club don;t let everyone in, Minor Threat was walking.
This was when Minor Threat had two guitars, right before they called it quits, and rightly so as the scene was changing and not for the better....

Ian was/is way cool.
I sent him some demos from my last band [The Sin Eaters Death Party] and about a year later I got a detailed post card from Ian telling me that the music provided a solid soundtrack while boxing CDs, and that my memory served me well regarding the gig at Great Gildersleeves...

I'm only known for a brieft stint in NYHC band Adam-12, although I did play bass on the Do Not Resuscitate ep, on red vinyl - which last I head goes for $100.00 !!! which is nuts.....

Another band I played in out here in CT during 1993/early 94 was The Official Hooligans, that was a fun band... no stress - until the end, when I stared to get bored and started working with NYC musicians again in the experimental music scene.

Here's a video of The Official Hooligans playing at a small club in Willamantic CT, back when we were on top of the world.

We had great gear, I always had some chick lined up whether I realized it or not, fans wanted my broken bass strings, and yes... I brought 2 Ric 4001s electric basses with me, a battered 77 and a nice mid 80s.... played through a Peavey Citation 120 guitar head [it had great overdrive !!] into either a Kustom or a Plush 2x12 cab, and I had a late 1960 Fuzz Wah, also an MXR dist+

Fun times, gosh I was young then, even though I was probably 28 !!
But when you are 55................

Enjoy !!
Living proof that drunks can play too:

PS: and before you ask, no... I no longer play electirc bass guitar, had to stop after I broke up a dog fight where my dog was attacked, and my left hand was never the same, but i do dabble with a couple of Chapman Sticks and a Warr Phalanx 12.....

And yes, I am still proud of this video.

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Well, of course things change, i had actually noticed that by age 61, thank you. Notice the phrase "that's not punk rock, not like grandma used to make"?

And i suppose i was responding to Lupo as a hardcore-era guy saying "that's not punk, this is punk", so i had to do my "call that a knife? Now, this is a knife!" move.

As to Beastie Boys: I was speaking more of when they were a hardcore band, way pre-Licensed, and pre-Rick Rubin, with my late best friend John Berry on guitar, Kate Schellenbach (later of Luscious Jackson) on drums, the late Adam Yauch (MCA) on bass, Michael Diamond (Mike D) singing, and when Adam Horowitz (aka King Ad-Rock) was still playing guitar in The Young And The Useless.

A little known fact is that the name came from a pet-food store on Houston St. , Beastie Feast, with Boys being ironic since the drummer was a girl and it sounded tough, which they most definitely were not, and to have the initials BB, like their gods, the Bad Brains.

Here is their best song from that era, "Egg Raid On Mojo", from the Pollywog Stew EP . When they played this one, all 25-50 of us who made up the NYC hardcore scene at the time would mosh it up.

Mojo was the very very large black bouncer at a gay/trans/punk LES club called The Pyramid, and he wouldn't let them in one night, so they egged him. When i married my wife in 2001, John Berry (who wrote "Egg Raid") was best man, and Mojo was second-best man. They made sentimental speeches, and John ended his with, "And look what [Mrs. OTD] is getting!", and hauled up my kilt. My mom claimed she was looking at something else.

Miss him every fucking day; he died in 2016, after several years institutionalized with premature dementia. He is the one second from right in the Pollywog Stew pic. He claimed the reason he is cross-eyed in the photo is that "i was looking at a bug."

Fair enough. By no means was I saying "That's not punk, this is punk" though. The statement was "I don't see how anyone couldn't like blink, it's almost a rite of passage" and I was simply saying well.. when you grew up on "this era of punk" it's kinda hard to swallow that bubblegum stuff.

I see Brodie's got a funny jab or two as well. I feel like y'all taking my words out of context. I'm by no means so close minded that I only listen to one genre. In fact I barely even listen to punk, of any era even my preferred era.

Lately I'm a sucker for banjos, fiddles, accordions, horn sections. But I'm very all over the place in general. From the Abyssinians (70's reggae) to Pigface(90's industrial). Some old timey Tuba Skinny, throw some Carcass/Deicide in there then hit me with some Mazzy Star, Brother Ali hip hop, Rusted Root, Descendants, the Be good Tanya's, Tones n I dance monkey makes me happy, but yeah I'm pretty close minded really. All I listen to is Minor Threat. That's what I was really trying to say. Nothing is worth listening to, only Minor Threat.

Reactions: Older Than Dirt

Older Than Dirt

Banned
Reaction score
I think we all agree that Blink-182 is at best kinder-punk, and may actually suck (as i say i have never heard them).

Probably a quarter of my music listening these days is jazz on wkcr.org, another quarter is assorted rock and weird shit on wfmu.org, and the other half is '70s Philly soul, other '70s R & B/soul/funk, old hardcore, older punk, even older obscure proto-punk shit that almost no one has ever heard of, old country like Buck Owens and George Jones, and horrible pop trash from my adolescence like Grand Funk Railroad, in about that order.

Anyone much past 25 who only listens to one kind of music is probably rather dull; anyone much younger than that who is not obsessive about music and incredibly judgmental about it is likely to turn out to be rather dull later in life.

• Agree

MFB

Reaction score
No music "sucks". And this critisism usually comes from people that dont play or have never been in a band. I liked blink bc they were the fastest band around when I was 13. I liked the tempo. Whatever.

@Older Than Dirt I love jazz!

anyone ever get into french composers from the early 20th
Satie, Debussey, Ravel.
I've been loving these guys lately.

Older Than Dirt

Banned
Reaction score
No music "sucks".

This is just dead fucking wrong. In the late '50s, SF writer Theodore Sturgeon promulgated Sturgeon's Law: "Ninety percent of everything is crap." This is just absolutely true, about music, books, TV, clothes, jobs, sex partners, haircuts, cities, areas within the 10% of cities that don't suck, food, shoes, tuna fish, and everything else you can apply it to.

The converse, that 10% of everything is good, is less often noted. This implies that, for example, 10% of polkas, and 10% of bubblegum pop kinder-punk, are both good. This is correct- i like "In Heaven, There is No Beer" and "if You Want To Be Happy For The Rest Of Your Life (Make An Ugly Woman Your Wife)", and Offspring.

Finding that 10%, and avoiding the 90%, is the Secret Of Life, which i know, but if i tell you, i have to kill you. But you can just wait to get old.

Last edited:
  • Useful

MFB

Reaction score
@Older Than Dirt No way, jose. Regardless of what some critic promulgates, as thats what critics do, the fact is; art is subjective, and nothing sucks about one, or a few people getting together to create something for you to, if you dont like it, criticize.

We can all decide what we like and dont.
No art sucks universally.

Lastly. I am old! Just not older than dirt!

• Haha

Older Than Dirt

Banned
Reaction score
I am old!

39- old?!? I was still doing coke, playing shitty punk gigs at CBGBs, and screwing dominatrices (in their spare time, i hasten to add) at that age.

You are a mere lad, my son. You will learn. Most of the time, when "a few people [get] together to create something" (or one person does), they have fun, and the results suck. I should know, i've played many crap shows (and a few good ones).

I always explained my music career with the old joke about the man with the one-inch dick. He whips it out, and the woman says "Who are you going to satisfy with that tiny thing?". He says "Me."

Makng art is mostly like jerking off: good fun, but you should do it in private, and not talk about it.

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads