What's the shitiest place in the US y'all have stayed? | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

What's the shitiest place in the US y'all have stayed?

ElderGreen9

Reaction score
Ok, I'll bite on the place with the shittiest people. Number one, hands down, shittiest place I've ever been, of every where I've been in this world, as far as people - MISSOULA, MT. I was working there for 20 months and rented a house so I know exactly what I'm talking about. It's fine if your skin is the tone of printer paper but anything darker and your fucked, absolutely fucked. A river may run through it but it doesn't flush out the racist shit. Norman McClean (sp?) Is right. The world is full of bastards. He was wrong in the fact that they don't multiply the farther you get away from MISSOULA, they multiply the closer you to the center of MISSOULA. I feel a rant coming on and epic would be an understatement. This rant would get me banned from this site and that state so I'll leave it with you at that. It's a beautiful, unbelievable state scenery wise but if you're the slightest but brown beware.
Wow wouldn't have thought Missoula but I only spent a few days there. It def is white AF.

G

Grubblin

Wow wouldn't have thought Missoula but I only spent a few days there. It def is white AF.

I knew someone would say that and it's cool. The town looks like an unbelievable place from the outside, on the surface. The town is actually really cool, it's the people that fuck it up.

John Krakauer (sp?) Wrote Into The Wild, a book many here are familiar with. He also wrote Missoula: Rape and the Justice System in a College Town. The title is close if not dead on. Check that out at your local library. They demanded the author come to a city meeting to 'explain himself'. He showed up with his own armed bodyguards. Yeah, he felt the need to have that protection.

Also there was this local resident who would leave his garage door open at night. Two times, kids came in and took weed, a bong, and some beer from his garage fridge. He bought a bunch of Walmart security stuff and laid a trap. Before he sprang the trap he bragged about what he was going to do at the barber shop. So this totally new kid, who had never stolen in his life, walks into his garage, trips the motion sensor. Guy gets out of his hot tub comes out with a shotgun and shoots him in the face, kills him. He fired at the kid three times as the kid tried to take cover behind the guys car and begs for his life. This was all bc some other kid, who they eventually caught, stole beer, weed and a bong. To make matters worse the kid that got killed was a German exchange student who was 17 years old. He didn't even know that he could be killed for something like that, we're talking about stealing beer. The guy could have just shut his fucking garage door, instead he used Petit theft as an excuse to take a life. I don't even think the cops arrested the killer for a week or two. That story is also very close to exactly what happened, you'll have to Google it for details.

Everyone here has done stupid shit when they were seventeen. No one has been shot in the face for it. That kid didn't deserve that for any reason but especially over beer, weed, and a bong.

Not as bad as this happening in the first place, but still very horrible, were all the comments to the paper about the story. A few people said how horrible it was but most people thought the guy should get a medal and were all about saying how they would have done the same thing. If anyone runs across the story and wants to post it then fine. It kind of makes me sick to my stomach to think about it to this day.

Yeah that's the real Missoula. The one that hides from plain sight. The one you don't know until it may be too late.

• Sad
Reactions: Coywolf

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I knew someone would say that and it's cool. The town looks like an unbelievable place from the outside, on the surface. The town is actually really cool, it's the people that fuck it up.

John Krakauer (sp?) Wrote Into The Wild, a book many here are familiar with. He also wrote Missoula: Rape and the Justice System in a College Town. The title is close if not dead on. Check that out at your local library. They demanded the author come to a city meeting to 'explain himself'. He showed up with his own armed bodyguards. Yeah, he felt the need to have that protection.

Also there was this local resident who would leave his garage door open at night. Two times, kids came in and took weed, a bong, and some beer from his garage fridge. He bought a bunch of Walmart security stuff and laid a trap. Before he sprang the trap he bragged about what he was going to do at the barber shop. So this totally new kid, who had never stolen in his life, walks into his garage, trips the motion sensor. Guy gets out of his hot tub comes out with a shotgun and shoots him in the face, kills him. He fired at the kid three times as the kid tried to take cover behind the guys car and begs for his life. This was all bc some other kid, who they eventually caught, stole beer, weed and a bong. To make matters worse the kid that got killed was a German exchange student who was 17 years old. He didn't even know that he could be killed for something like that, we're talking about stealing beer. The guy could have just shut his fucking garage door, instead he used Petit theft as an excuse to take a life. I don't even think the cops arrested the killer for a week or two. That story is also very close to exactly what happened, you'll have to Google it for details.

Everyone here has done stupid shit when they were seventeen. No one has been shot in the face for it. That kid didn't deserve that for any reason but especially over beer, weed, and a bong.

Not as bad as this happening in the first place, but still very horrible, were all the comments to the paper about the story. A few people said how horrible it was but most people thought the guy should get a medal and were all about saying how they would have done the same thing. If anyone runs across the story and wants to post it then fine. It kind of makes me sick to my stomach to think about it to this day.

Yeah that's the real Missoula. The one that hides from plain sight. The one you don't know until it may be too late.

I remember that shit! Crazy. Ya, montana is a pretty sparsely populated place with a lot of crazy white survivalist people. I could see how being brown in that town could be a problem.

That being said, I loved missoula, and would go back anyday. But I am also a white male.

Reactions: Testicool

Hazardoussix6six

RideBikesPlayPolo
Reaction score
Birmingham, ALABAMA was the worst!

Crackiest of crackhead home bums, insta agro when i was there.

Also anywhere in florida, exception being Bradenton, met a bunch of former travellers there and were super cool!!

G

Grubblin

Apalachicola, Florida is pretty cool as well. You can get a lot of day labor oystering in the right season. Working the tongs on the boats isn't easy but shucking in the huts is even worse. Still, it's a solid community, built by real, hard-working people who only care about how, and who, you are now and not what you've done before. It might not be trimmigration but it can't be far behind.

Wawa

Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Sedona. Just the town itself is a dead soulless moneysucking hole selling itself to yuppies looking for quickserve spirituality.
If you don't look like you are shopping enough you literally get run out of town.

Princesspeppers

Reaction score
I saw none of the happy/hippie side everyone seems to reference; I saw only the dark/aggro side filled with shirtless tweakers on stolen chop-shopped bikes.

(But that was also the first place I had my shit jacked, so maybe I'm just biased.)
DEFINITELY a hot spot for bike thieves and tweakers but there are a lot of nice/chill folks there too. Good dumpsters and easy to get free food. Springfield is ghetto for sure. Hard to fly a sign because its too blown up already.

Reactions: AAAutin

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Sedona. Just the town itself is a dead soulless moneysucking hole selling itself to yuppies looking for quickserve spirituality.
If you don't look like you are shopping enough you literally get run out of town.

Huh, I've never had any bad experiences in sedona....well except for that one time I had just gotten out of jail, and then proceeded to fall 12 feet off of a Circle K roof while drunkenly trying to find a warm place to sleep.

Still have the scar on my face to this day to remember my first and only time in jail....

Anyway, Sedona has some nice squats and it's an easy place to camp, as long as you don't bring attention to yourself.

D

Deleted member 16034

Almost got struck by fucking lightning in Clovis, NM. So that's a no-go for me. But I did meet a nice young man who filled my truck's massive gas tank plus my gas can. Soooo... I dunno

gnossos

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Atlanta Ga. hated the weather the gangs and just the feel of the place also the cops.

I lived right in downtown Atlanta for all of about 3 months last year with my husband and it was by far one of the most miserable experiences I've had living ANYWHERE. The ironic thing is that at the time he had an amazing job that allowed us to live in the nicest place we ever did, yet despite the "luxury" apartment, (right down the street from The Masquerade, btw), we came the closest we ever had to dying together from the INSANE over-abundance of dope out there.

I say "over-abundance of 'dope'" in general, but really CRACK is the #1 killer out in the streets of Atlanta. That shit is nearly impossible to avoid, at least it was for my husband and I. It's like people can smell it on you in the streets and try to prey off that by asking if you need anything, etc, and it gets to the point where you just can't fucking escape it until you get the fuck out of the city.

I remember walking with my husband out for "just one more $20" at like 4am in the middle of December: I wound up standing there in the middle of the street sobbing at the sight of the sidewalks lined with sleeping bags, people huddled up against the cold, so many lives fucking RAVAGED by crack.

crack is whack, for real. the whackiest of whack.
----------------
P.S. My bad, I get SO fucking wordy...Point of that long-winded reply was to say that yeah, Atlanta is definitely on my list of worst places in the U.S. I've lived/been/etc.

Fuckin Ohio sucked balls too... nothing but Amish country in
Elon, OH where I was. Oh and West Virginia, WTF is up with that shit??! Last state I'd think would be THAT riddled with heroin, but it sure as fuck was.

• Haha
Reactions: Rob Nothing
D

Deleted member 2626

The Dalles OR. Only spent a night but it didn't seem to great, walked there from Hood River which as well seemed yuppie white people. They were similar towns really, like a lot of America, similar. I don't really care to pass through Chicago either. Greyhound terminal at night is packed and wild. Cops and such. Missoula as people were saying definitely was whitey. I was almost not sold a KOA campsite because I was afoot and no vehicle. I went on to them knowing why they said no and differed their opinion. So next person, may be easier for ya haha

S

smkstcklghtng

I saw none of the happy/hippie side everyone seems to reference; I saw only the dark/aggro side filled with shirtless tweakers on stolen chop-shopped bikes.

(But that was also the first place I had my shit jacked, so maybe I'm just biased.)

The biggest factor is what neighborhood you're in. There are some really friendly areas where you can camp or park up and the locals will be kind, but most of the town is riddled with tweekers. I live by the yard and I can't keep shit outside. I've literally chased someone off my back porch who was trying to steal a bag filled with dirty cloth diapers that I was storing out there in between wash cycles.

Not to mention the hundreds of dollars of tools I've had stolen out of my rig.

San Francisco

word.

Missoula sounds nice.

racist mother fucker....

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads