1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice

What's the shitiest place in the US y'all have stayed?

Discussion in 'Travel Stories' started by ElderGreen9, Jul 13, 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    ElderGreen9

ElderGreen9 is getting to know the place
    StP Supporter

Achievements:
    Filmmaker
    City:
    Los Angeles
    State:
    CA
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +19 / -0
    Wow wouldn't have thought Missoula but I only spent a few days there. It def is white AF.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Grubblin

Grubblin Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    Ratings:
    +286 / -4
    I knew someone would say that and it's cool. The town looks like an unbelievable place from the outside, on the surface. The town is actually really cool, it's the people that fuck it up.

John Krakauer (sp?) Wrote Into The Wild, a book many here are familiar with. He also wrote Missoula: Rape and the Justice System in a College Town. The title is close if not dead on. Check that out at your local library. They demanded the author come to a city meeting to 'explain himself'. He showed up with his own armed bodyguards. Yeah, he felt the need to have that protection.

Also there was this local resident who would leave his garage door open at night. Two times, kids came in and took weed, a bong, and some beer from his garage fridge. He bought a bunch of Walmart security stuff and laid a trap. Before he sprang the trap he bragged about what he was going to do at the barber shop. So this totally new kid, who had never stolen in his life, walks into his garage, trips the motion sensor. Guy gets out of his hot tub comes out with a shotgun and shoots him in the face, kills him. He fired at the kid three times as the kid tried to take cover behind the guys car and begs for his life. This was all bc some other kid, who they eventually caught, stole beer, weed and a bong. To make matters worse the kid that got killed was a German exchange student who was 17 years old. He didn't even know that he could be killed for something like that, we're talking about stealing beer. The guy could have just shut his fucking garage door, instead he used Petit theft as an excuse to take a life. I don't even think the cops arrested the killer for a week or two. That story is also very close to exactly what happened, you'll have to Google it for details.

Everyone here has done stupid shit when they were seventeen. No one has been shot in the face for it. That kid didn't deserve that for any reason but especially over beer, weed, and a bong.

Not as bad as this happening in the first place, but still very horrible, were all the comments to the paper about the story. A few people said how horrible it was but most people thought the guy should get a medal and were all about saying how they would have done the same thing. If anyone runs across the story and wants to post it then fine. It kind of makes me sick to my stomach to think about it to this day.

Yeah that's the real Missoula. The one that hides from plain sight. The one you don't know until it may be too late.

• Like Like x 1
    • Epic Epic x 1
  3. Lightning Samurai

Lightning Samurai Can't get enough of the site

Achievements:
    travel art bum person
    City:
    San Luis Obispo
    State:
    CA
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +911 / -30
    I guess the top of my list would be places like Temple,TX. Pine Bluff, AR. Hamlet, NC. But each one of them I'm glad to have gone to for one reason or another something happened that made it worth while. Dislike is relative.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Coywolf

Coywolf Sir Drinks-A-Lot
    StP Supporter

Achievements:
    Seasonal Park Ranger
    City:
    Moab
    State:
    UT
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +524 / -12
    I remember that shit! Crazy. Ya, montana is a pretty sparsely populated place with a lot of crazy white survivalist people. I could see how being brown in that town could be a problem.

That being said, I loved missoula, and would go back anyday. But I am also a white male.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hazardoussix6six

Hazardoussix6six Appreciated Participator

Achievements:
    Pizza Pie or Die
    City:
    Cincinnati
    State:
    OH
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +64 / -1
    Birmingham, ALABAMA was the worst!

Crackiest of crackhead home bums, insta agro when i was there.

Also anywhere in florida, exception being Bradenton, met a bunch of former travellers there and were super cool!!

6. Grubblin

Grubblin Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    Ratings:
    +286 / -4
    Apalachicola, Florida is pretty cool as well. You can get a lot of day labor oystering in the right season. Working the tongs on the boats isn't easy but shucking in the huts is even worse. Still, it's a solid community, built by real, hard-working people who only care about how, and who, you are now and not what you've done before. It might not be trimmigration but it can't be far behind.

7. Wawa

Wawa Sir Posts a Lot

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +1,015 / -4
    Sedona. Just the town itself is a dead soulless moneysucking hole selling itself to yuppies looking for quickserve spirituality.
    If you don't look like you are shopping enough you literally get run out of town.

8. Princesspeppers

Princesspeppers Just signed up

Achievements:
    Freelancer
    City:
    Bend
    State:
    OR
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +18 / -0
    DEFINITELY a hot spot for bike thieves and tweakers but there are a lot of nice/chill folks there too. Good dumpsters and easy to get free food. Springfield is ghetto for sure. Hard to fly a sign because its too blown up already.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Coywolf

Coywolf Sir Drinks-A-Lot
    StP Supporter

Achievements:
    Seasonal Park Ranger
    City:
    Moab
    State:
    UT
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +524 / -12
    Huh, I've never had any bad experiences in sedona....well except for that one time I had just gotten out of jail, and then proceeded to fall 12 feet off of a Circle K roof while drunkenly trying to find a warm place to sleep.

Still have the scar on my face to this day to remember my first and only time in jail....

Anyway, Sedona has some nice squats and it's an easy place to camp, as long as you don't bring attention to yourself.

• Like Like x 2
  10. LVKZ

LVKZ Just signed up

Achievements:
    City:
    Trinidad
    State:
    CO
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +0 / -1
    San Francisco

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Confusing Confusing x 1
  11. native

native Hungry for Knowledge

Achievements:
    City:
    Gainesville
    State:
    FL
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +13 / -1
    motherfuckin longhorn TX!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Geraldo

Geraldo Lurker extraordinaire

Achievements:
    Bartender
    City:
    New Orleans
    State:
    LA
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +458 / -1
    Almost got struck by fucking lightning in Clovis, NM. So that's a no-go for me. But I did meet a nice young man who filled my truck's massive gas tank plus my gas can. Soooo... I dunno

13. Roxannefartz

Roxannefartz is getting to know the place

Achievements:
    Welder
    City:
    Louisville
    State:
    KY
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +29 / -0
    All of Indiana
    Blythe, ca
    Phoenix, az
    Daytona beach, fl

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Rob Nothing

Rob Nothing I'm a d-bag and got banned.
    Banned

Achievements:
    prefab
    Ratings:
    +510 / -38
    ive really never been anywhere long enough to really get to know the place.. at least not in the last 10 years.

did not enjoy passing through houston, memphis, phoenix, sacramento. . . Clovis... Amarillo.

Missoula sounds nice.

• Like Like x 1
  15. AAAutin

AAAutin Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    Ratings:
    +279 / -1
    Psst, lightning travels. (Be afraid.)

16. gnossos

gnossos is getting to know the place

Achievements:
    City:
    Chattanooga
    State:
    TN
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +3 / -0

I lived right in downtown Atlanta for all of about 3 months last year with my husband and it was by far one of the most miserable experiences I've had living ANYWHERE. The ironic thing is that at the time he had an amazing job that allowed us to live in the nicest place we ever did, yet despite the "luxury" apartment, (right down the street from The Masquerade, btw), we came the closest we ever had to dying together from the INSANE over-abundance of dope out there.

I say "over-abundance of 'dope'" in general, but really CRACK is the #1 killer out in the streets of Atlanta. That shit is nearly impossible to avoid, at least it was for my husband and I. It's like people can smell it on you in the streets and try to prey off that by asking if you need anything, etc, and it gets to the point where you just can't fucking escape it until you get the fuck out of the city.

I remember walking with my husband out for "just one more $20" at like 4am in the middle of December: I wound up standing there in the middle of the street sobbing at the sight of the sidewalks lined with sleeping bags, people huddled up against the cold, so many lives fucking RAVAGED by crack.

crack is whack, for real. the whackiest of whack.
    ----------------
    P.S. My bad, I get SO fucking wordy...Point of that long-winded reply was to say that yeah, Atlanta is definitely on my list of worst places in the U.S. I've lived/been/etc.

Fuckin Ohio sucked balls too... nothing but Amish country in
    Elon, OH where I was. Oh and West Virginia, WTF is up with that shit??! Last state I'd think would be THAT riddled with heroin, but it sure as fuck was.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Tatanka

Tatanka Can't get enough of the site

Achievements:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +638 / -20
    The Dalles OR. Only spent a night but it didn't seem to great, walked there from Hood River which as well seemed yuppie white people. They were similar towns really, like a lot of America, similar. I don't really care to pass through Chicago either. Greyhound terminal at night is packed and wild. Cops and such. Missoula as people were saying definitely was whitey. I was almost not sold a KOA campsite because I was afoot and no vehicle. I went on to them knowing why they said no and differed their opinion. So next person, may be easier for ya haha

• Like Like x 1
  18. zim

zim Reality Perception Device
    Staff Member Admin

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    City:
    College Park
    State:
    MD
    View on map:
    Ratings: