What's the bay area like?

Reaction score
After I get enough funds together, I want to go out to Northern California and see the craziness the bay area has to offer. I hear it is packed with a lot of awesome things. Anyone here know what kind of things you can get into out there? Also, if anyone knows where to go in Humboldt county where there are wall to wall hippies?

Primitive

Reaction score
San fransiscos pretty crazy, especially haight & ashbury district. But practically NO money to be made there, and from what i can tell gentrification has been killing the culture more and more. Oakland has alot of punk, metal, and anarchism which is awesome. But havent hung out there much tho i should. Mainly just went for shows, but not recently. San jose is where the monies at id say, just not doentown, but not much fun goin on and its rare to run into kids here. But cops are got way bigger shit to do than worry about kids coming through flying signs and drinkin. Not high on their list of priorities so they dont care much. But watch out for downtown cause they have a downtown unit designed just for that. The yuppies wouldnt stop complaining, the cops kept saying "we got bigger shit to worry about" so someone decided to just start a whole seperate patrol just for that. But thats only downtown, which sucks now anyways.

Last edited:

NatashaVelvet

Artist//Harpist//Dharma Bum
Reaction score
Website
natasha-velvet.tumblr.com
I'm here right now, I made good money busking in berkley near the college dorms, a lot of kids around shaddock/ people's park. There are sketchy folks EVERYWHERE you go but as long as you've got good judgement it's not a big deal. I'm about to head over to Haight st in San Fran, it's true, it's pretty blown up and there's not much money to be made but it's fun and a good place to meet people.

Reactions: GonzoLizard211
Reaction score
I have a few friends from Berkeley who told me some adventures they've had at People's park, 924 Gilman, and Burnt Ramen. They sound awesome. And I can spot shady a mile away. Is there like, any one thing I would definitely need before I go out there?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
you should hit up @eske silver she lives in her RV in oakland.

RovingGale

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
You'll never starve in this town, even if you're flat broke...which is good, because short term work is really hit or miss out here, especially as it's heading into winter and there are less weekend outdoor fairs and such. But, yeah, there are a bunch of places that will feed you for free if you're willing to show up when they have the food out so hunger isn't something you need to worry about.

Otherwise, there are usually a shit ton of kids in the Haight and the vibes are usually pretty chill, if you have an instrument you can probably do decently for yourself if you play in the touristy areas, if you need a bike there's a place called Bike Kitchen that'll let you trade volunteer hours for parts and help building yourself a bike...it's a good place to chill for a bit. And feel free to message me when ya get here or if ya have specific questions...I'm rubber tramping it and plan to winter here, unless a better option presents itself, so happy to answer what questions I can.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Im heading down through the bay area here soon from oregon, I have to get out of the frickin' cold for a while, it was 20 degrees here last night and its only November. I would like to check out the East Bay but last time I went through Oakland it was sketchy as fuk. Berkely sounds cools though. I am eventually going to Santa Cruz and Ventura, any info on those places would be greatly appreciated. Good luck in the Bay!

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
can't offer a couch, yet, but i you give me a few hours of lead time before you hit the bay, i'll be more than happy to help the journey out..

on a weekday i may be able to offer a space to crash in my van (though i am too far off route for that to really amount to much), & on the weekend i can commit to a throwdown with my wheels, but that will take about 24 hrs off lead time..

i you are coming down 80 or 680 on the east bay side, however, i'm def accessible for at least a meal & possibly a crash anytime between 4:00 pm and 6:00 am.. so, basically anytime in between working hours..

today is sat, 2 pm.. hit me up if yer need anywhere in the bay area.

peace,

C

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads