What type of food should I bring when hitchhiking? | Squat the Planet

What type of food should I bring when hitchhiking?

caffine addict

Reaction score
Me and a friend of mine are planning to head on down to the coast next month and im trying to figure out what is the best food to pack when your in the middle of nowhere.

(I'm sorry if there's anyone who already posted this before but I haven't seen anyone post a question similar or exact to mine).

D

Dayoldpizza

Don't forget a p38 can opener or spoon/fork or cut a spoon into a spork if you have the right tools.. Having a cook pot is essential to every hobo, hiker etc .. Usually i bring one that holds 6 to 8 cups in it. You don't have to use msr aluminum or titanium, stay with in your means or find one on your way ...
The p38 is about .50 cents at any surplus or online.
SAM_3574.JPG

Food wise SLP is right, the dank tuna and ramen mix is a favorite of mine, followed by instant rice and tunaa. Trail mix beef jerky, if you can find fruit trees where your at such as oranges stock up. grab a small paper or ziplock bag, start putting condiments in it, ketchup mustard soy sauce any thing you favor on food. It comes in handy down the line ..

saul

Reaction score
i dont think youll have to pack yo much food people will give you food when your on the road but you never know sometimes you get stranded on an on ramp in the middle of nowhere so yea emergency food is necessary just try not to pack to much heavy stuff and yea i know i suck at spelling .

D

Deleted member 8978

Let me know if any of you travel with an MRE, I know soldiers carry those things. I had a receiving lead at a Sears store where I worked, and he told me back in the day that he was a veteran and he and his comrades simply called them C-rations. He had a few other interesting stories he told before he retired after more than 15 years as a lead, and I was one of his last hires before hand.

D

Deleted member 21367

Raisins for scurvy and leg cramps plus peanuts always did me good. Not very appetizing or sustainable but it'll keep you going till the next town.

D

Deleted member 21367

Don't forget a p38 can opener or spoon/fork or cut a spoon into a spork if you have the right tools.. Having a cook pot is essential to every hobo, hiker etc .. Usually i bring one that holds 6 to 8 cups in it. You don't have to use msr aluminum or titanium, stay with in your means or find one on your way ...
The p38 is about .50 cents at any surplus or online.
View attachment 43380

Food wise SLP is right, the dank tuna and ramen mix is a favorite of mine, followed by instant rice and tunaa. Trail mix beef jerky, if you can find fruit trees where your at such as oranges stock up. grab a small paper or ziplock bag, start putting condiments in it, ketchup mustard soy sauce any thing you favor on food. It comes in handy down the line ..
Idk how many times i tore my bag apart trying to re-find that lil can opener.

ZombieBrainz

Reaction score
I've been carrying a camp stove lately. 13 dollars on amazon and like 5 for the fuel. Bear creek Dry soup and knoll brand rice sides. Other than that, I like carrying cliff bars and mre's. Peanut butter and tortillas are a great way to go. Basically anything with low weight, high protien, and lots of calories.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: caffine addict

Dorkimus Prime

Reaction score
Something light but filling like canned chicken or tuna. Then maybe bring a few packets of mayo and mustard for flavoring. Cheap food sounds like a good idea but it isn't. Things like spam, canned spaghetti, etc. are mostly processed waste and grains. They'll go in and come right back out.

You won't get much nutrition or calories out of those types of food. If you can avoid super cheap processed foods then do. I understand sometimes budget is all that counts.

• Useful
Reactions: ZombieBrainz

caffine addict

Reaction score
Something light but filling like canned chicken or tuna. Then maybe bring a few packets of mayo and mustard for flavoring. Cheap food sounds like a good idea but it isn't. Things like spam, canned spaghetti, etc. are mostly processed waste and grains. They'll go in and come right back out.

You won't get much nutrition or calories out of those types of food. If you can avoid super cheap processed foods then do. I understand sometimes budget is all that counts.
Spam is filling

Strangeandsolo

Reaction score
I've been carrying a camp stove lately. 13 dollars on amazon and like 5 for the fuel. Bear creek Dry soup and knoll brand rice sides. Other than that, I like carrying cliff bars and mre's. Peanut butter and tortillas are a great way to go. Basically anything with low weight, high protien, and lots of calories.
Pb n tortillas are bomb! Bullion cubes are great for rice and barley! And they rock on cold ass days for a warming broth.

Jackthereaper

Reaction score
Like everyone said, pb is really solid and dense calories. I like to bring a pound of bacon cooked, that holds for a few days no problem and is delish. Water, dont forget enough water or a means to purify it. It sucks to run out.

Preserves are nice, brie holds for a few days no problem, same with camembert. Obviously you need crackers for the cheese. Summer sausages pair well.

Ive found lacto fermented foods also travel well so bubbies pickles etc are heavy but keep my gut in check.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads