WHat do ya think about them thar Pirates in Somalia?

veggieguy12

The Captain
Reaction score
IBRRHOBO said:
Don't know if you're aware of it or not, but civilian crews are allowed ABSOLUTELY no access to firearms of any kind. Anyways, this ship and the last one, yesterday, both had food aid. Probably reference the CNN reports. They're a fairly liberal-neutral media outlet.

I didn't know about the prohibition of weapons, but Blackwater and other available for-hire mercenary/security forces come to mind - if a corporation was willing to spend for the protection. Hell, a gunboat alongside your cargo ship might make you more of a target, I dunno.

I've since found the food shipments mentioned in reports, and I'm not disputing it, I'm just cynical. I think it certainly plays well to demonize the robbers by saying "Look, we were trying to help their people and they don't even let that go!". How convenient for 'our' side. Know what I mean?
If it was a shipment of diamonds extracted from the pirates' region, that would be different to many people, more understandable. Not that the pirates know what cargo is on-board when they set out for a ship.

IBRRHOBO said:
I simply don't agree with attacking innocent civilians. If you're gonna pick a fight, pick it with those who are causing the problem. The government, etc.

Well, I too oppose attacking civilians. But y'know, these are pirates, not an armed national liberation group. They're not out to attack military apparatus & personnel, they're out for the money.
When the reporter asked "Why did you rob banks?", the man answered, "That's where the money is." (1) And when you rob a bank you encounter civilians.
It's not as though the pirates just bombed a ship and stole the goods, with no regard for the personnel. No, they're making the most of everything (incl. people).

The MEND in Nigeria has been kidnapping Westerners from oil companies for years, ransoming them back to the employers (the latest case). What else are they gonna do? I'd probably be part of the group if I was in their position.

gangleri

Reaction score
IBRR: I agree that we have to enact change where we can in our own lives, and locally. I admire that you've taken steps to take control of your own food and defense. Something in me has to work towards a revolution thats more than generational, though, because I don't think we have time for progressive change in the world today. I think if we don't change things fast and drastically, this looming environmental cataclysm is going to bring us all down, and a lot faster than we expect.

These pirates aren't really targeting the people that are on the ships. They're attacking them in the sense that they're stopping and boarding the ships, but they've treated their captives well, and only held onto them so long as is required to extort from their parent companies and governments.

The subject of food aid is another thing. If the US cared so much about the stability of Somalia, why didn't it support the coalition government that was trying to piece things together for like five years, ending with its collapse a couple of years ago. There was little or no aid from Western countries then, no loans, no food aid, no peacekeepers, but when they're back in a state of free-for-all war, we're at it with the food aid again. No, I see it as a way to appease liberals in the first world while keeping Africa divided and unorganized. After all, the global south is the engine of first world consumption, and if they're unorganized and impoverished, how well can they stand up for themselves or whats theirs?

I'm interested to see the military response here, if it will be proactive or reactive, and how well they will be able to deal with an array of decentralized groups. Its possible they could try and intimidate the Somalis out of the game, but judging from the fact that less than twenty-four hours after three of the pirates were killed by the Navy snipers and one had been captured four more ships were taken in the Gulf of Aden, these fellows seem pretty ballsy. I guess we'll see how it plays out. And we'll see how their trial plays out too:

BBC NEWS | Africa | Piracy symptom of bigger problem

I

IBRRHOBO

My problem is that when you start to make leeway for the Somalis, as seems to be the crux of the arguement, then you open the door for others. Here's a map, data, background and real-time information on just how widespread this is:

Piracy Map 2008

So, if the 'pirates' were just attacking the big, bad US and first world countires, then I wouldn't approve of it, but ok. However, they are not. These folks are attacking EVERYONE! And there's the problem. You can't cut slack to some as you invite demise upon yourself. By the way, the Somalis have been 'polite' so far; here I also have a problem as I'm not really the one to try and extort from nor are most rail riders, but you will notice in this piracy video that these pirates have NO qualms in murdering people in the first minute or so:

How to steal a ship - Seajacking and Phantom Ships

I

IBRRHOBO

"Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose."
-Janis Joplin

Now here's something that we can all see eye-to-eye on. Revolution, based upon the people's will, I'm all for. And in light of the miserable failures in Somalia (take a look at the recent UN and Amnesty reports) I wouldn't blame the folks there AND elsewhere as far as that goes.

The pirate's motivation down there, though, are questionable at best. I know most folks take the intel out of there as biased; however, it all points to the fact that they are enriching themselves (both by armements and decadence) and the warlords they serve and supressing/stiffling ALL opposition.

Yeah, like the quote there vg12!

dirty_rotten_squatter

Reaction score
Well i don't know too much but didnt the u.s.shoot up over a hundred of them? I'd be pissed of too man. I say good for them honestly. If i were in their shoes I'd go black beard johnny depp on their ass too man.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads