WHat do ya think about them thar Pirates in Somalia?

wokofshame

Reaction score
Website
www.weather.gov
I really sympathize in some ways.... poverty makes people do crazy stuff.... and i really get a good feeling when i hear the word pirate and it's real life...
but the reality is these dudes are being heinous douchebags and are no more nice people than yr average neighbourhood crackdealer or coyote---- what does everybody here think about this?

PS hitting close to home, the captain who was captured on the Maersk ship and is being held hostage right now went to the same high skool as me

Shoestring

Professional Hobo
Banned
Reaction score
Rolling, empty boxcars to Sioux Falls, South Dakot
Website
www.youtube.com
They "JUST" freed the captain and killed the pairates!!!
(Turn on CNN)!!!

gangleri

Reaction score
Well they certainly aren't the only pirates out there off the coast of Somalia.

I think they're entirely justified. Ships from the "first world" have been dumping huge amounts of radioactive waste into the fishing grounds of these people who are fucking destitute, and stealing what fish isn't contaminated. The government of Somalia collapsed in 1991 and the coastal peoples have been getting screwed since. Is it any wonder that they'd stand up for themselves? If my family and friends were diseased, deformed, or starving at the hands of exploitative capitalist shitbags, I'd get a little hostile too.

A

Arapala

I don't think educated enough to say. But ya know how it is, people hear the word pirate, and think peg leg, one eye, parrot, etc. Its much different than that. I don't think they are just stealing for the fun of it...

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Well, live by the gun, die by the gun. But they do keep it possible for fishers to make a living by keeping the trawlers and foreign fishing ships away- it's a mixed bag. Neglect an area that long, and if there's picking to be had, it's going to become bandit country until the place stabilizes enough.

veggieguy12

The Captain
Reaction score
I'm on the pirates' side.

In the "City of God," St. Augustine tells the story of a pirate captured by Alexander the Great. The Emperor angrily demanded of him, "How dare you molest the seas?" To which the pirate replied, "How dare you molest the whole world? Because I do it with a small boat, I am called a pirate and a thief. You, with a great navy, molest the world and are called an emperor." St. Augustine thought the pirate's answer was "elegant and excellent."
-Noam Chomsky, Pirates & Emperors

Why were American tax-paid military personnel (first Marines, then Navy) sent to protect private merchandise owned by Americans?
I know the ship's Captain is American, but I think that is incidental; the 'rescue' was to regain control of the property.

gangleri

Reaction score
The tricky thing about the illegal/legal and international/territorial waters with Somalia is that there IS no government to enforce the fishing rights and territorial boundaries of the country right now. And yeah, there are a lot of hijackings going on to finance fucked-up power struggles between warlords, but a lot of the pirates are simply looking after their people, and trying to keep the waters usable for them. Additionally, if, as reported, over $300 million is stolen by illegal fishing every year in what was Somali waters. While piracy and extortion are not the tactics for everyone, a starving and desperate people will turn to what means are available for recompense. Piracy and terrorism both are labels the rich will apply to the poor who fight against them.

I dunno, this is just how I see it. I'm sure there are other perspectives and factors to be considered. I tend to take the side of the rebel in these things though, if their cause is just. Also, that Johann Hari article linked above is a good one.

veggieguy12

The Captain
Reaction score
ArrowInOre said:
because no-one else had the juevos to go in and help...

That could be it. Or, considering our financial crisis and the ballooning national debt and our (over)extension in the Middle East/W.Asia, it might be more about who the US govt. loyally serves.

It's not as if this American ship was captured or held in American waters, which are protected by the US Coast Guard and US Navy.
Is it just a matter of juevos that has US aircraft carriers and battleships and destroyers dotting the Persian Gulf / Arabian Sea, or might it be something else? Was going into Iraq or Afghanistan - to skip mention of incursions prior to year 2000 - just a matter of juevos?

I

IBRRHOBO

Had multiple quotes to address here, so just read thru and apply accordingly. First, gangleri these, '...poor and meek fishermen...' you speak of are armed terrorists hijacking not cargo, but people and holding them hostage for ransom. So, you think the pirates or as I call them fucking terrorists are donating the money to the fishermen? Nah, wouldn't bet my hand on it. Would you? Don't know if you remember when we tried to bring in humanitarian aid and they killed our men and drug them thru the streets of Mogodishu?! So, the poor third world bullshit doesn't apply to the Somali coast. You're dealing with a bunch of warlords there. The civilians MAY be innocent, but we rose up in the US against Britain and they can do the same. Otherwise it's complicity to the fact.

Second, a vessel flying under the flag of a country in international waters is, in fact, that nation under maritime law. No different than invading the US or whatever country has a flag flying. Fought a war, got the tossed salad on my chest, and am pretty familiar with Geneva, USMJ and UN law pertaining to such.

And for the future comments that I'm some insane warmonger (hmnn, maybe I am) how would you feel if you're out in your little boat and you get hijacked, raped and your head tossed off along with the mutilated body of your child beside you? Gee, that's happening right now and that's why we're waging a war against international piracy (note: I did NOT say terrorism).

If you wanna go ahead and support piracy, fine. Here's how it plays out: Left unchecked, the parts needed to keep your (or in a lot of cases here, the library's) computers don't make it to the US. No more cell phones, no more nothing. Why? Because we outsource a tremendous amount of the end products which we consume.

The final point I'll leave here is that it was ironic that a portion of that vessel had humanitarian aid for Somalia. Yeah, poor fishermen, 'eh?!

drunken marauder

Reaction score
Thank you Ibrr. HAHHAHAHAHAHA I may be an intolerant war monger.. But when I get up in the morning and walk down the street I do it with out fear that the cafe I am going to isnt blown up by some terrorist.. Did no one mention that they were taking grain to Somalia?? Personally I thought they shoulda just blown the grain ship up with the pirates on it. I have no patience for pirates or terrorist. Shure I do what I do and may even think of myself as some what of a pirate. But I am not about to sit back and allow someone to wage their JIHAD on me.. Sure there is a time and place for uprising but not against my country. See the US is the greatest place on earth for one reason and its simple. If you don't like it leave. I hope to leave soon enough.. I don't agree with most stuff the government does. But if people think our economy is so bad now. Let pirates raid all of our ships and all of our exports going out and see what happens then.. They were taking them food!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wouldnt do that agian.

gangleri

Reaction score
This isn't to get into an argument of semantics, or to start up a shitstorm: I enjoy discussion and dialogue. I respect that you've got your opinion on this, and I'm probably not going to change it.

But first of all, thats not even a quote of mine, I never called them poor or meek. If they were meek, would they buy guns and hijack a ship? They're poor, in the sense that they have no money, and little enough of anything else. Second of all, none of us know the direction their funds go to. But if you'll notice, the effect that the word or implication 'terrorist' has on our minds is to assume that they're part of a vast criminal conspiracy thats trying to destroy civilization, and that they care only for their goals. All I have to say is that I've done things that have earned me the label terrorist from the media and from certain individuals, and I'm not some murderous psychopath.

I can see there would be some difficulties in a popular revolution in Somalia, like abundance of heavy weaponry and militias in the control of warlords, but I have to say, I'm with you on this one. Because of how political boundaries are drawn and the nature of governmental action, we're all complicit until we revolt.

Also, in response to the "how would you feel" part: the Somali pirates have treated their captives real well. I dunno how that'll change now that three were murdered outright during negotiations and they (or that particular band) have vowed revenge.

What I get from your view of piracy-left-unchecked is that it'll disrupt international trade and global capitalism as a whole. I have to say, this is something I'd welcome. I'm typically a bit more idealistic in my idea of how global capitalism will be gutted, but if piracy can help out, well hell, lets do it. Even if it doesn't get that far, I think we'll get whats been coming if we lose all those things we've decided to outsource.

veggieguy12

The Captain
Reaction score
When did the punks go so conservative?

pritymic said:
But when I get up in the morning and walk down the street I do it with out fear that the cafe I am going to isnt blown up by some terrorist..

The USA hasn't even experienced any terrorism to speak of.
Even so, I don't think Italians, Germans, English, Spanish, or Israelis fear going about their daily routines.
Hell, Chechens, Iraqis, and Palestinians are killed every day not by "terrorism" but by full-fledged, well-armed, high-tech billion-dollar armies, and I don't think they are afraid to do what life requires.
Not that all our armies could stop some douchebag mailing anthrax (or catch the perpetrator), or blowing-up a Uhaul in Oklahoma City.
If you really feel safe, you're deluded. There is no real security from government.

pritymic said:
Sure there is a time and place for uprising but not against my country.

I'm trying to discern some meaning from this...

pritymic said:
See the US is the greatest place on earth for one reason and its simple. If you don't like it leave.

And that reason is _____? Don't want to share that single "simple" reason?
Love it or leave it? That's some fucking ridiculous Archie Bunker shit I thought died with Reagan. Come on, you're essentially saying "Don't try to change it or make any critique, just abandon ship." Foolish. And cowardly, I think.

This just sounds like the same shit I could hear on Right-wing AM radio: I have no tolerance for drug-slingers whining about their tough life in the ghetto.
Whatever. Most folks do what is easiest among their options.
Piracy ain't easy, but it beats slaving in a sweatshop. At least you have some dignity in standing on your own feet and taking what you need/want, rather than groveling for Nike's contractors to dole out a pittance of wages.

pritymic said:
But if people think our economy is so bad now. Let pirates raid all of our ships and all of our exports going out and see what happens then.

Why, we'd end up like some African country! We might even have to do dirt for our daily bread, oh shit!

IBRR: I guess I wouldn't be pleased about being hijacked and decapitated; I also wouldn't be pleased to be in a shit-hole made so due to global racketeering and extortion and plundering and looting and pillaging - aka, US foreign policy protecting capitalism. If I was Iraqi or Somali or Colombian, I might kidnap some foreigner and ransom him back to his big-money employer or wealthy family.

I have more respect for John Dillinger, Bonnie Parker, Clyde Barrow than for J. Edgar Hoover or Andrew Carnegie or Henry Ford. (And you can apply that back through the ages with cowboys and pirates too.)

I

IBRRHOBO

gangleri: I didn't quote you. "..." would indicate a quote; '...' indicates a euphemism. Don't worry about starting a shitstorm, I generally do! lol Nah, good debate is the cornerstone to knowledge and change (no Obama pun intended).

vg12: I don't necessarily support capitalism, communism or any "ism'. I just support what works for me right now. Whether anarchy or otherwise, if you begin to attack (as the pirates are currently doing) whatever the powers that be, you're gonna get fucked up. I'm not saying the Somalians should go to the UN or wherever and plead their case. Probably isn't gonna do shit. By the same token, I am not going to surrender my internet, lights, power, water, and definately NOT my freight trains so that they can do better. Unfair? Yup. Might, no matter how much we want to pretend it is repulsive, is right. Two points here: first, if you wanna send money, food, etc. over there to help, that's gonna jack my taxes. EVERYONE pays taxes here, make no mistake. Whether you pay income tax or not is moot. Buy tobacco, take the bus, put a tire on your bike...you get the point. Doesn't make a fuck to me, I'm not paying for someone else's free ride (here's another 'ism' called altruism).

So, let me get on the record real quick as I DEFINATELY don't support Rush, Hannity, et al. I do, though, like Art Bell/Coast-to-Coast AM and I guess that's AM radio. IF there were a VIABLE plan put forth to: oh, save the world, save the poor, change government, etc., I'd look at it. I live in the real world here in Tennessee. Oh, I harbor discontent as does every combat veteran. Living in the real world means that I have to act locally. Grow my own food, raise my cattle, chickens and ducks. Keep a well maintained arsenal. Short of that, though, the thought of overthrowing multiple governments, etc. just doesn't seem practical. You see, Russia, China, the EU and the US are all interwoven into a fabric of international commerce. Take on one and you take on them all. Make no mistake here, either, MLK, Jr., wasn't far off point in his 'non-violent protests'. Insurrection simply emboldens powers that be. Go no further than the recent fiascos of the FBI. No, for revolution to actually happen and I DO think it will someday, it will be in a generational aspect. Classic case-in-point: Open Systems Code vs. Microsoft, free phone on the internet vs. Ma Bell, etc. Decades in their growth, but they had the proper genesis. Perhaps our children will see it, but we will not in any meaningful sense. What we WILL be able to do, though, is lay the dialogue; fertile soil if you will, for the coming changes.

So, I guess my world revolves around effecting change where I am and how it impacts those I interact with. Is there wrong in the world? Fuck yeah there is. Sux, but I can't help those globally until I change what is happening locally.

Good shit going on in this thread by the way!

drunken marauder

Reaction score
So umm I like this thread. I hope others are enjoying debate and its doesnt turn to argument... Hmmm lets see where to begin... I dunno know what to say I believe in the first amendmant.. I grew up with gun toting conservatives and love them.. Yes pirating is awsome I do it all the time.. Sweet be a pirate but you know what sucks about stealing???? GETTTING CAUGHT. If your gonna be the badest mother fucker in the valley be the badest and take your fucking likins dont cry when you get your ass beat.. I dunno...... I mean I believe in the constitution of the United States... I like my freedoms..... I think they are well afforded to me here.. I'm definitly not saying dont try to change things in US. I would love to see a lot of changes the tobacco tax for one.. But I have agian no patience for cowards who surprise attack innocent civillians and then cry because they are punished for it... I bet the navy was pretty damn mad the last one didnt die..

I

IBRRHOBO

In re: Navy. Probably not. Calculated shots. Need one alive to interrogate. Don't worry about Gitmo, he'll be sharkfood on the way back in. Probably commit suicide.

veggieguy12

The Captain
Reaction score
IBRRHOBO said:
I don't necessarily support capitalism, communism or any "ism'. I just support what works for me right now.

That's kinda underlying my defense of/sympathy for/excusing the pirates...

By the way (for whatever it's worth), I don't think the sincere and appreciable notions of 'helping the poor' amount to much positive effect. I'm not a big fan of things like grain shipments - in fact, I'm decidedly against that specific act, as it brings on famine (a separate discussion). And I'm pretty sure that Western governments are not giving the 3rd World a lifeline out of genuine humanitarian concern; call me cynical, but there's always a self-interest being served.

veggieguy12

The Captain
Reaction score
Hey, what I heard about the hijacked ship was that it had a bunch of military hardware, as this article confirms.
I know now that this was not the only ship hijacked, but it was the incident which brought these pirates to my attention.

A family member said Capt. Richard Phillips surrendered himself to the pirates to secure the safety of the crew.

"What I understand is that he offered himself as the hostage," said Gina Coggio, 29, half sister of Phillips' wife. "That is what he would do. It's just who he is and his responsibility as a captain." [my emphases added]
-article

I didn't see any mention of 'food-aid' being aboard one of the ships, but I'm not sure I accept some company's word for it. It's not like they're about to say "We were shipping some highly dangerous shit without any protection, because we're cutting corners to keep profit margins high."

The more I think about it, I suspect Obama's image was a deciding factor in making this 'rescue', as was Bush's for that whole Jessica Lynch sham (1, 2).

I

IBRRHOBO

Don't know if you're aware of it or not, but civilian crews are allowed ABSOLUTELY no access to firearms of any kind. Anyways, this ship and the last one, yesterday, both had food aid. Probably reference the CNN reports. They're a fairly liberal-neutral media outlet.

Fully agree w/you on the grain shipments in re: it doesn't help other countries. It would be better to teach them agriculture and implement a long term plan. That wouldn't help to keep them destabalized, though, which is our current national security policy.

I simply don't agree with attacking innocent civilians. If you're gonna pick a fight, pick it with those who are causing the problem. The government, etc. And really they're not accomplishing much other than filling body bags. Sooner or later and trust me here as intelligence is what I did, if the pirates continue down this path, we will send in an 'alphabet soup' acronymed team and terminate with extreme prejudice. It's not an NBC Sunday night movie. The US can and it WILL. Right or wrong, that's simply the realities of the 21st Century.

Thanx for posting the articles!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads