Waterproofing Canvas Shoes and Boots | Squat the Planet

Waterproofing Canvas Shoes and Boots

PatchTwist

Reaction score
I researched this method to waterproof shoes and boots, but I see no reason this couldn't work on any fabric/canvas gear. I think this makes things more water resistant than proof, but whatever works is what I say.

In this example, let's use shoes.
Get yourself some beeswax. You can find it at most hardware and craft stores.
Coat the canvas of the shoes with the wax. Rub it real good and make sure you get all of the crannies and edges, too.
If you have a blow dryer, use that on the wax coating for a few minutes until the whiteness of the wax disappears.
If you don't, you can most likely use a public bathroom hand dryer.
When you're done, let them set for a few minutes, test them, and you should be good to go. The shoes will be a bit stiffer, but they'll be work in soon enough.

I plan on trying this once I get the shoes I want.
Has anyone tried this before? Any other ideas and methods you've used?

JanykShorrths

Reaction score
I've had great luck with "Sno Seal" on leather and canvas. It's made from bee's wax, although I'm not sure exactly what percentage is used. I inherited an old jar of it from my dad that he had since the 70s. I've since bought a few more jars and totally recommend it.

When possible I heat up the material I'm sealing with an oven or hair drier or campfire, apply the Sno Seal, then hit it with more heat. You can see it absorb into the pores of the material as everything is heated, so it goes on a bit thick and shiny but ultimately dries (this is super satisfying and Zenlike to me for some reason). It does seem to darken up the material a bit too.

OutsideYourWorld

Reaction score
Website
outsideyourworld.wordpress.com
I'd recommend melting it with linseed oil and turpentine/mineral spirits. I also mixed in pine tar and some pine essential oils for the smell.

I did a backpack, a jacket, some pants, and a satchel with that and it turned out pretty well.

ScumRag

me, hellarity, oak, ca. about 2006
Reaction score
I researched this method to waterproof shoes and boots, but I see no reason this couldn't work on any fabric/canvas gear. I think this makes things more water resistant than proof, but whatever works is what I say.

In this example, let's use shoes.
Get yourself some beeswax. You can find it at most hardware and craft stores.
Coat the canvas of the shoes with the wax. Rub it real good and make sure you get all of the crannies and edges, too.
If you have a blow dryer, use that on the wax coating for a few minutes until the whiteness of the wax disappears.
If you don't, you can most likely use a public bathroom hand dryer.
When you're done, let them set for a few minutes, test them, and you should be good to go. The shoes will be a bit stiffer, but they'll be work in soon enough.

I plan on trying this once I get the shoes I want.
Has anyone tried this before? Any other ideas and methods you've used?

I've always used Hubert's Shoe Grease. I know a lot of West Coast shoe shiners swear by it. As a result, I've never thought of Mink Oil as a reliable product... saddle soap to clean and then followed by Hubert's gets the job done. It's a great protectant- (pine tar oil is the main ingredient)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads